Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 25 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 24 25
B
goal
goal
B
I think only the 92 and 93 age groups are part of the New Orleans thing.

soccerfan5, maybe they will play together again at camp. I have a feeling some of them will play together at the USC camp. As for beyond camps, who knows, it is still possible.

E
bench
bench
E
Quote:

Note also for 91 SC boys: Several NC players got a lot of time with the SC team vs Fla due to many SC players involved in the pool game last night. Thus, not a pure "SC" team. Maybe to rest some for the next pool game?

Actually...all of the players that did not make the pool games last night played the entire match, both SC and NC combined (which is only fair to all those involved), while the players that played in the pool match yesterday split equal time to fill the remaining positions...as per ODP guidelines. (And, actually, ODP prefers that pool match players take the following morning off, but there was no possible way to accomodate that with the impressive number of players we had in the pool last night.)

As has been stated before, this is not a total "SC" team...but sometimes you have to do what needs to be done in a situation like this for the best interest of the committed boys from both states, and the SC and NC players are coming together well, and seem to be enjoying playing together. And, with 10 of the 13 players on the SC roster having participated (or about to...pool match to be announced soon, but look for one more new SC player on the list) in a pool match, the SC boys are getting plenty of looks from the Region Staff!! Also, I don't know if 4 NC players constitute "several." (1 keeper and 3 field players, since one of the NC boys played on the morning pool team with Sluga)

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
EASoccer9 ... Wow, Great Post! You obviously know your stuff, while I, am just a fan! You post was deeper than the intention of my post... I was only talking about braggin rights of SC vs Fla. Thanks for the education!

E
bench
bench
E
Gotcha...no problem...and I wasn't trying to offend...only defend the hard work of both the SC and NC boys. You have to commend the 9 NC players that decided to attend Region Camp without a full team, knowing that they may be split up or at least playing together with another partial team.

The 91 pool games for tonight are rather interesting. Instead of playing each other the two pool teams will play back to back matches against a Japanese club team that is also in Alabama training. We had another great showing from the 91 SC boys with 9 players in tonight's pool games. In the first match, Ryan Goodwin and Spencer Schiff have been selected. The second match features seven SC boys: Stephen Arneson, Joe Sweet, Thomas Valikonis, Alex Martinez, Dennis Moore, Jason Chapman and Matt Sluga. Still no word on the pool team for tomorrow morning...so there is still a possibility that one or two more SC players may make that pool game. Plus, there is one final evening pool game tomorrow night, and a final pool team Thursday morning, so hopefully we will have at least one more new name to add to the list.

Tomorrow morning may be a bit tough for the SC/NC team. Four of the five NC boys were also selected for the evening pool games...so there will be some very heavy legs for the TN match!!

D
Goal
Goal
D
'93 Girls (ouch)...

Mississippi 4
SC 1

Original schedule called for SC to play OK, but schedule was changed last night.

E
bench
bench
E
Adam Wolf and Travis Farnham have been selected to play on the morning pool team, bringing the total number of SC players to play in a pool match to 12. Still two more pool events to go...hopefully we can go 13 for 13!!

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Any recap of the Japanese pool games last night? Very impressive to play that level of competition at ODP Region camp. Also, it would appear that this is a really strong/talented '91 team given the amount of boys chosen to play in pool games. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this team has come a long way in 4 years. This is great for SC and the current team, and for future players from SC to get recognition.

Last edited by Solomon; 07/16/08 11:55 AM.
G
corner kick
corner kick
G
Any holdovers from the girls '93 or '94 teams? The '94s look like they had a very good showing. Did they qualify for nationals?

B
goal
goal
B
I don't know about the first match, but the 2nd match ended with a 2-2 tie. PK awarded to Japanese with about 3 minutes to play, after a defensive mistake. I got a recap from a very dejected center back who feels pretty bad for his team. Ball was played to the back, under pressure, played the ball without enough pace back to the keeper, forcing the keeper to come out, Japanese player slipped him, but was then fouled. Tie game. Only good thing, it was a tie, but he's still pretty dissapointed.

It is a strong team, that has made improvement over the years. The last couple of years they have been gathering more and more recognition. Some of it also has to do with coaching consistency. I've been watching this group for 5 years now. In that time they have had 4 or 5 different coaches. All of them very good, but the current coach has had them for 2 years, and the team understands his style and can relate to him.

I believe the SC Boys recognition began with the 90 age group and has continued with the 91 group. Other age groups, continue to show this increased recognition, the 92's also had a very good camp with significant recognition. This increased recognition is not an exclusive product of ODP, but also comes from the increased level of SC teams play in other high profile tournaments.

Last edited by Bear; 07/16/08 12:20 PM.
world cup
world cup
I got back last night from Alabama and I saw all three of the 94 Girls games. The girls all seem to be having a lot of fun and are enjoying eachother's company as well as the entire "professional soccer experience".

Coach, chaperones and "team moms" are doing a great job. It is unbelievably hot out there, tough conditions for all of the girls. Games are at 8 AM, 9:30 AM and 11 AM. Training sessions are in the evening. The 11 AM games are brutally hot. Water breaks at mid-half in all the matches.

3-0 over Arkansas in the first game and 2-1 over Florida's "C team" in the second match. 1-1 draw with South Texas in yesterday's finale. South Texas was a good team, we got a questionable PK early in the second half and they scored off of a waist-high header on a corner kick to even it at the end of the match.

Hope they have a better trip home tonight than the boys did.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Page 9 of 25 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 24 25

Link Copied to Clipboard