Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
brace
brace
David: I think you will find at the smaller schools that it becomes a chicken/egg question. Many smaller schools do not start soccer programs because they know they do not have coaches, facilities, etc. Smaller schools have coaching shortages in already-established sports as it is.

"Living well's the best revenge." r.e.m.
C
bench
bench
C
Couple thoughts.

Youth sports coaching is mostly good teaching... No sport is rocket science at that level. For coaches like myself with limited playing experience we read a lot and find assistants to provide additional expertise. I have had no problem finding ex-professionals or college level players to help.

In my view the problem we are having in the states now is over-coaching and not enough playground experience.

I think the lack of a pitch is part of the problem with starting a program. If they can't use the football field they might not have the space, and of course soccer is obviously not a revenue sport. Even the SEC doesn't have soccer. Soccer would be well served by increasing the fan base to include more than parents. Right now the revenue of the large club outfits comes from parent's fees... In high school and college the sport needs to sell more tickets to a larger fan base.

Go see a USC Game. Great fun. 5$. You can park right next to the boneyard with no problem. Tailgate. Raise heck...

If you are a high school player.... Get the fans out. Make it the place to be.

Coach Stamos

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kevin Heise, Kyle Heise 

Link Copied to Clipboard