Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 21 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 20 21
D
kick off
kick off
D
MPSC knew well before the first kick off that the tournament wasn't going to be completed. The fields were closed almost all week the week before> They chose to start a tournament that they knew they couldn't complete so that they could keep the money.

If player safety was really an issue in their decision to stop the tournament then they never would have started it. There was not a heavy downpour after the tournament started on Saturday. That is why people are upset. If the fields were too bad to play on at 1:30 that afternoon then they were too bad to play on at 7:30 that morning. MPSC knew that they wouldn't complete the tournament and wanted to protect the field. That is why they started off with abbreviated games- so they could protect the fields and keep the money.

Last edited by Dadicated; 10/14/08 03:08 AM.
corner kick
corner kick
Just a correction...I know for a fact that Patriots fields were open through Wednesday, so "closed almost all week" is an inaccurate statement. Thursday, I don't know, so I can't say anything, but Adult League definitely played all their games on Wednesday and the latest ones start at 9pm.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; [it] is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
D
kick off
kick off
D
Quote:

Just a correction...I know for a fact that Patriots fields were open through Wednesday, so "closed almost all week" is an inaccurate statement. Thursday, I don't know, so I can't say anything, but Adult League definitely played all their games on Wednesday and the latest ones start at 9pm.

Ok so they were closed the two days prior to the tournament.
Bottom line they were closed prior to the tournament.

S
throw in
throw in
S
Quote:

MPSC knew well before the first kick off that the tournament wasn't going to be completed. The fields were closed almost all week the week before> They chose to start a tournament that they knew they couldn't complete so that they could keep the money.

If player safety was really an issue in their decision to stop the tournament then they never would have started it. There was not a heavy downpour after the tournament started on Saturday. That is why people are upset. If the fields were too bad to play on at 1:30 that afternoon then they were too bad to play on at 7:30 that morning. MPSC knew that they wouldn't complete the tournament and wanted to protect the field. That is why they started off with abbreviated games- so they could protect the fields and keep the money.

Spending any more time trying to convince you ("Dadicated") of anything other than what you believe is pointless. Your mind is made up. Your entitled to your beliefs, however farfetched they may be.

For everyone else who might have an open mind, read on.........the fields were closed before the tournament because of all the rain they received earlier in the week. This was in an attempt to have them in a playable condition by the start of the tournament. To accuse MPSC of maliciously calculating to "swindle" other clubs out of their money is simply untrue. Believe what you want to believe. The tournament is over - move on. Whether you choose to believe MPSC tried to salvage what they could of a very difficult decision is up to you.

D
kick off
kick off
D
You imply that I am close-minded yet you seem pretty set in your beliefs also. Wouldn't that make you close-minded also?

K
throw in
throw in
K
Quote:

Okay...your argument is full of holes...

I'm not sure where you were, but there was a downpour Saturday afternoon (in the Patriot's Point/Town Hall fields area) after our first match was completed; easily rained enough to add another inch to fields that already had water up to my ankles.

And what do you think deems fields unplayable? Your argument states that if the fields were bad at 1:30, then they were just as bad at 7:30 that morning. When you already have standing water on the fields, as matches are played the fields get worse and worse. Thus, the fields were NOT the same between 7:30 and 1:30--they were playable (by the standards of the powers that be) at 7:30 that morning and NOT playable (by the standards of the same people) at 1:30 on that same afternoon. Get over it.

And did you ever think abbreviating games to start off with could have been a measure taken (due to the threat of bad weather) to ensure that all teams were able to participate at all on Saturday?

Last edited by BHS Keeper; 10/14/08 03:44 AM.
C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

If player safety was really an issue in their decision to stop the tournament then they never would have started it. There was not a heavy downpour after the tournament started on Saturday. That is why people are upset. If the fields were too bad to play on at 1:30 that afternoon then they were too bad to play on at 7:30 that morning.

Uhm...dude. About noon on Saturday, the bottom fell out over Mt. Pleasant. It didn't last all day, but for a little while there, it was coming down in sheets; I was in Alex's restaurant trying to make out the signs across the road. Maybe you were in your hotel room asleep dreaming up conspiracy theories, but it happened. I was thinking, "Well, that's it for this afternoon's games." Yes, the fields were already very iffy, and this was the final straw that tipped the scale.

Making judgements about people's motivations is one thing...completely ignoring physical realities takes it to a whole new level. Learn to ease back, man...I know your daughter was probably disappointed in the outcome of the tournament, as were the girls on my team, but that's no need for her dad to turn into "that guy."

I've got good news and bad news...
D
kick off
kick off
D
Again, That didn't happen at park west and those fields were closed for no reason. So Dude, learn to pay attention and follow the facts. The conditions at your venue were different than those at mine. You have already said that you never made it to my venue to check out the fields.

As for BHS, the same point. You joined the the conversation real late. So before you post read the thread completely and realize that you have little to contribute unless you were at the same venue that we were at and know the field conditions there.

Also,I never said it was a conspiracy theory. I think they made a poor decision based on financial considerations. I actually believe it was due to imcompetence and financial duress.

Last edited by Dadicated; 10/14/08 10:55 AM.
H
goal
goal
H
There were 17 tornadoes in SC on Saturday. There was a tornado watch in effect until 8:00am Sunday morning. The Club did the responsible thing by canceling the tournament due to the condition of the fields and the potential for more bad weather. Yes, the front hauled butt through the state and was gone Sunday morning. Nearly all of the fields were unplayable and remained closed for several more days.

If you want to play in soccer tournaments that are free from weather issues, move to San Diego. If you're going to live in the SE, you need to deal with the fact that it is always a crapshoot.

I don't know anything about the particulars of the Charleston event. I do know that it is never in the best interests of a club to cancel an event before it is completed. The decision is not taken lightly and usually involves hours of deliberations and consideration of alternatives. There are two factors - player safety and field protection, in that order. If anyone thinks that the clubs make more money by canceling, you would be wrong.

K
throw in
throw in
K
Quote:

So before you post read the thread completely and realize that you have little to contribute unless you were at the same venue that we were at and know the field conditions there.

Don't worry--I did...all sixteen pages of it.

And, I responded to more than just your issue with rain at Patriot's Point vs. Park West. I posed very relevant questions to your idea that the fields were the just as playable at 1:30 AND your notion that starting games off abbreviated was some scam. You have not responded to either question which leads me to believe it is you with little to contribute.

Page 16 of 21 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 20 21

Link Copied to Clipboard