Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#112231 01/14/09 07:24 PM
S
bench
OP Offline
bench
S
I have a question. Last fall, we had a parent on our team who was yelling to his daughter to slide tackle a player. As in "DAUGHTER'S NAME, slide tackle her" He did this repeatedly throughout the whole tournamanet.

These are girls in the U13 to U14 range, playing PMSL.

Personally, I thought he was out of line. I don't think slide tackles at this level and age are appropriate...and I certainly did not think it appropriate for a parent to be yelling for her to do this. I've seen a player get seriously injured by a 'come from behind' two-footed slide tackle.

The father claimed I didn't understand soccer, even though I've had over 5 years experience in travel soccer (another child that played, not the one on this team) to his two years of experience.

What do you veteran's (nice way of saying old timers) think about slide tackles by younger players.

H
goal
goal
H
I have to disagree with you. They're a legitimate part of the game and should be allowed (certainly by 13 yoa). I agree that they can be dangerous, but no more so than a bad tackle or block in football, or a bad foul in basketball. They should be taught properly, of course. I think there are too many fouls called on good, old-fashioned shoulder charges too. Soccer is a contact sport.

corner kick
corner kick
I know we definitely had the clean slide tackles occurring when I played U13/U14, but then that was back when everyone still played 11v11 and it was Challenge ball. But I think that there's a definite distinction between clean slides and playing dirty or being dangerous. On defense, I'd often make that last ditch slide to reach the long ball and knock it out before the wing or forward could get to it...all ball, the other player was a good step or two back.

Dirty or dangerous play, in any form, is inappropriate at any age level, of course. Any slide from behind is usually called as a penalty through consideration as a "dangerous play", from my experience. Those usually happen when a player is making a last ditch "never gonna make it" attempt either out of desperation or anger. The first can be avoided by good coaching and teammates who know how to pressure, balance, and get back to support, and the second should be dealt with by a good coach.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; [it] is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
I agree with HappyDaddy. Slide tackles are all part of the game at U13. As far as the yelling by the father, I would enlighten him that one bad/missed slide tackle could lead to a yellow card, or even a straight red card. It might just have been the parent trying to get into the heads of the opposing team... intimidation / trash talk. Therefore, teach the child and parents what to do with trash talk.

S
bench
OP Offline
bench
S
Part of it is that he thinks his daughter is better than she is....so he thinks she should show everyone what she can do. It was more out of frustration, she was getting beat by players that were more agile than she is....so his bright idea was to have her take one of them out. She is also big for her age...and he like that she knocks kids down. He could care less if it was dirty play, he's probably be proud.....

They have never been taught anything about slide tackles, so I don't know that any of them would know what is or isn't a proper slide tackle.

(We have issues on our team with all the girls/parents getting along.....)

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Then the issue is not slide tackles... the issue is the team. Bring it to the attention of the coach, or just sit back and watch more of the same happen.

goal
goal
he was definitely out of line for yelling ANY specific instructions to his, or anyone else's, child. unless you have a direct line to the coach, you really have no idea what they are telling their players to do. for all that parent knew, the coach could have told his players before the game that he/she did not want to see them slide tackling anyone. i have seen a player get pulled off the field because they were doing what they heard a parent tell them to do, which was opposite what the coach told them to do.

slide tackling at that age is fine, but it should be taught properly, the player should be taught the rules regarding slide tackles, and it should not be used as the "standard" method for dispossessing an opponent of the ball.

corner kick
corner kick
I hope the coach has a solid policy against dirty, risky, or dangerous play then or else she will likely fold to her father and start playing that way and then there will be multiple problems.

If the yelling gets too bad or she starts acting on it, I'd suggest the coach take aside the dad and calmly explain the policy against such behaviour and that the penalty is sitting the bench. Hopefully the dad will realise that, coming from a professional, it is good advice and should be heeded, especially since such dangerous plays can quickly earn a yellow and then red card on top of the threat of a quick benching.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; [it] is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Yeah..Sounds like an over zealous dad to me..If she is a big girl she probably feels more comfortable running thru players than sliding for a ball..Players do what they feel comfortable doing and if he is telling her to slide then she probably is not comfortable doing it and if she does it's going to be ugly and someone might get hurt..The coach needs to have a heart to heart with the parents and let him coach the team and the parents support the team..

corner kick
corner kick
This is all good advice from parents who follow the rules and enjoy watching their kids play the beautiful game. I have seen several parents over the years who have had these heart to heart talks with coaches and they keep doing the same things. The attitude is usually "I pay so I can yell anything I want" and their kids are not the stellar players on the team. These parents follow up the yelling at games to yelling at the kids in the car on the way home.

How would you handle a parent who doesn't follow the coaches advise on conduct?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard