Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
1977 Offline OP
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
A new high school season is upon us and the initial season start rankings will be out shortly. I have never understood however the team are ranked.

It occurred to me that there was a logical unbiased methodology for ranking the teams, which can be understood by all and checked by anyone who is familiar with the team and players. The system takes into account the success the HS coach has had in the preceding season with this team and evaluates the players individually, based on their previous performance and their experience level. At the very least, it gets rid of any bias based on subjective thinking.

I do not have a relationship with any team sufficient to compile the points total of the individual players and will rely on people familiar with the teams, to follow the system outlined below and give us a logical ranking with a background which will stand up to scrutiny.

Methodology
Players Evaluation
Use the top 13 players in the points total for the evaluation. Allow points as shown below for returning starters, and the exceptional players who make "All State" and "All Region" Teams, plus all existing HS players who are playing in the premier league, classic league or recreational league. Additionally assume that any incoming freshman player who is on premier team that played in the fall will make the varsity team in their first season. Add the points total for the individual player’s evaluation to the team and coach evaluation to get the overall total of points. Highest number of points gives that team the highest ranking.

Players Merit Rating
Allow 2 points for current All State Selections
Allow 1 point for current All Region Selections
Allow 3 points for playing in the Premier league, 2 points for playing in the Classic league and 1 point for playing in the recreational league.
Allow 1 point for each previous year as a starter.

Team and Coach Merit Rating
Allow 2 points for making the Upper or Lower State Quarter Finals, assuming the same HS coach returns
Allow 3 points for making the Upper State or Lower State Final assuming the same HS coach returns
Allow 4 points for playing in the State Championship, assuming the same HS coach returns
Deduct one point from each of coach merit ratings listed above, if the current coach is not returning.

Regrets but the Tables A & B would not copy However please continue

Table A Player Evaluation

Name Returning Starter yrs.
3 or 2 or 1 point

All State
2pts

All Region
1 pt Premier 3pts: Classic 2 pts: Rec 1 pt

Total Points Table A =

Table B
Coach & Team Evaluation
Quarter Final 2 pts
Semi Final 3 pts
Final 4 pts

Total Table B =

Total: Points Table A + Table B = Points

I look forward to seeing the points total for each of the Ladies teams in based on the above logic. They can then be seeded in their group (say Upper State AAAA) according the total accrued points.

F
goal
goal
F
This looks interesting. The only flaw I see is that players get 3 pts for playing Premier and 2 for Classic, but there is no delineation for Challenge. Why not make Premier = 4ps, Challenge = 3pts, Classic = 2pts, Rec = 1pt. There is a big enough dif. between Challenge and Classic that players who play Challenge should earn 1 more point.

Also, if we are awarding points for years starting on varsity, does it matter if the player started for their club team? Rarely getting off the bench on a premier team may be little better than starting on your challenge team and scoring 15 goals!

PS. 1977 was a good year. 1978 was better. Then 1979 had to go and top them by having Billy Corgan immortalize it in song.

World Cup
World Cup
So if you started as a freshman at Gilbert and you're a senior and you played classic - 5 points

If you started as a junior at Eastside, were all region, and played premier - 5 points

Did I miss some points or is that correct?

F
goal
goal
F
Another thought,

What if a player has played at different club levels? Do we only take the most recent season into account?

Or what if a player has played 3 years of Challenge, but did not play this past year, BUT did play during years where they were a starter on varsity?

World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
2008 Preseason/Postseason Rankings Analysis

http://www.scsoccer.com/forum/showflat.p...true#Post107071

World Cup
World Cup
What about the different league levels in GA like Athena A and B? Or Charlotte for that matter.

Not bad, Kyle...

1977 Offline OP
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
[
Quote:

Why not make Premier = 4ps, Challenge = 3pts, Classic = 2pts, Rec = 1pt.

You are correct in picking up this error. I intended to change the rating to Premier 3 points Challenge 2 points and Classic 1 point and didn't finish the change. My thought is that everyone who is on the Varsity team will be playing soccer, so that is not exceptional therefore zero points for playing at the lowest level.

1977 Offline OP
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
Quote:

Do we only take the most recent season into account?

Yes the most recent soccer year, last years HS and Club seasons.

1977 Offline OP
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
Quote:

So if you started as a freshman at Gilbert and you're a senior and you played classic - 5 points

If you started as a junior at Eastside, were all region, and played premier - 5 points

Did I miss some points or is that correct?

In error I missed to rate Challenge. It should read Premier 3 pts; Challenge 2 pts; Classic 1 pt.

We are rating the overall performance of the team, not the individual players. The second table B would also make a difference. I was intending to rate the teams within a given classification such as AAAA upper State against their immediate competition.

1977 Offline OP
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
Quote:

What about the different league levels in GA like Athena A and B? Or Charlotte for that matter.

Not bad, Kyle...

If they are an outstanding player they will be playing premier and be at the same level regardless of which club team they play on. I don't think the remaining few players who are affected would make any difference. Don't forget table B which is a significant part of the rating system.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard