Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A
throw in
throw in
A
I agree with what has been said about the game. Irmo played into way too many 1v1 situations. They didn't seem to combine much at all in the attack. There were flashes of brilliance at times, but they were few and far between. Mukofsky played well, as did their defense. Subpar showings from Acree, Lunceford, and Varney in my opinion. I have seen all of those three play much better.

The first goal came 30 seconds into the game off of a long throw. Scoring so early probably hurt Irmo, as it seemed that their level was never very high. They kept the ball in Chapin's half, though, and generated a bunch of chances. Second goal was pretty chaotic, ball being knocked around in the box a lot, rolling out to Oliver (don't know last name) who placed a left footer almost upper 90. Game was pretty calm after that and it was 2-0 at half. Chapin came out after half time and applied some pressure to Irmo, but the defense played well and didn't give up any real good looks at goal. Irmo's third goal was their nicest setup. Although I cannot remember who played the balls, it was one of their few combinations in the game. A few quick passes were hit in succession, then a ball slid to a streaking McEwan who cut his man to the inside and struck the ball near post to beat the keeper. Chapin only had a couple shots on frame, by my count.

All in all, it was an OK game. Good atmosphere, but performances that were lower than expected. On a side note, Demare had a very cheap shot on (I believe it was Leo) after a play. I know that he is a good player, but he needs to get his attitude in check if he wants to continue to play at a high level. I have seen too many kids with that type of talent waste it away due to their own attitudes. I hope that Coach Hiller gets to him because those type of things should not be tolerated.

M
brace
brace
M
Could be as 80% of the players on the pitch tonight have played together for years. Unfortunately, I've seen what IRMO did tonight too many times. They have a tendency to make the game more complicated than it needs to be. Simplicity (few touches) combined with great technical skill is always great to watch. A field full of individuals dribbling isn't. It just kills the game. Plain and simple for me.

Imagine. Believe. Achieve.
P
goal kick
goal kick
P
I agree with the sloppy game, i think chapin was so dirty the whole game Irmo just couldn't find their rythm.

pinger90 #115393 03/19/09 03:34 AM
M
brace
brace
M
I believe IRMO has the technical skill and speed to find their rhythm against any opponent as long as they combine with each other. Keep it simple and let the ball do the work.

Imagine. Believe. Achieve.
P
goal kick
goal kick
P
agreed.

pinger90 #115395 03/19/09 03:48 AM
M
brace
brace
M
If these guys would just stop and think about how goals are scored in the final third of their premier level games, they'll realize 95% are always one touch finishes by lead players, follow-up players or overlapping players as a result of precise combination play.

There are very few trash goals or 1v1 goals because great teams attack as teams with composure and purpose, not as individuals. They need to get the 1v1 80% of the time strategy out of their heads and expect options to always be available for one touch finishes as teammates maintain shape in the attacking third.

This team is capable of overwhelming defenses, but that'll only happen if they combine with each other and understand how dynamic and disciplined such an approach is . . . not to mention how much talent it takes to pull it off consistently. In the end, it's simpler and it's playing at a higher level.

If they'll do this, we'll see some incredible goals this season.

L
throw in
throw in
L
I agree with everyone. Irmo has a chance to be solid because they have so much talent. But tonight it seemed like they were all about themselves and never really played as a team the whole game. If they struggle to play as a team they will not do very well this season. They did show some good combinations but every team is going to show a few combinations here and there. From what i saw tonight, Irmo needs to get the its all about me attitude and 1v1 out of their heads and play the ball. Any team is good at defending if the whole team wants to dribble and thats what Chapin did tonight is they defended the whole game but did not look as bad as Irmo could have made them look. It was a dirty game because of all the dribbling going on. Would not have been that way if Irmo played the way people think they are capable of doing. They are good enough to do that with the talent they have.

And yes Demare looked very very poor tonight. His attitude is going to hold him back from being a productive player for the rest of his high school career and his college career. His work ethic was very poor tonight. If the ball was not to him he gave up on it and never really defended much tonight. Very cheap shot on Leo after Leo made a great tackle on him. He has some things to work on to be the best in the state his senior year.

links5 #115397 03/19/09 04:48 AM
M
brace
brace
M
Exactly right. The dribbling made the game sloppy because it slows the game down. Keep their heads up, play one touch 90% of the time and always move to space in all thirds and they'll have a free flowing dynamic game that is very difficult to defend.

Without that, they're just playing average high school soccer at best. The choice is theirs to make and now is the time make it.

Goal
Goal
Of course they tried to dribble everyone 1v1

I could have told you that was going to happen by reading the board for the last month. I envisioned magic wizard spells that transported their players around the pitch with some angelic wings attached to them.

The difference between Irmo and NW is the love affair with NW comes from other people who are in awe of their play. Irmo is in awe of themselves. I suppose it's typical of that place though.

Last edited by shut^&play; 03/19/09 01:32 PM.
corner kick
corner kick
Irmo won i dont see what all the fuss is about, they will play alot higher caliber teams well see what they'll do then.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard