Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
bench
bench
C
John Wilson (Seneca and Clemson)played for DC United
Temoc Suarez (Greenwood Toros and Bishop England and I'm sure some other club) Played a bit in MLS--Dallas perhaps.

So while there may not have been many, you can't say none.

T
throw in
throw in
T
Quote:

John Wilson (Seneca and Clemson)played for DC United
Temoc Suarez (Greenwood Toros and Bishop England and I'm sure some other club) Played a bit in MLS--Dallas perhaps.

So while there may not have been many, you can't say none.

I will stand corrected on this point as I was the one that posted we had none. Thank you for the information. It's kinda nice to know we had some players from SC that saw some playing time in the pro's.

Now that the OP has this part of his question answered, I wonder if he will enlighten us as to why he asked. His posts certainly lead me to believe he has some plan in mind for soccer in SC.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
The other part of the question was college.... there are numerous SC players (men and women) who played/are playing in college.
Look at the recent signings by College of Charleston men's program as an example. Whether they can get to the next level usually depends on the player

for a list of 09 commitments
[url=http://www.scsoccer.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=108096&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1]
http://www.scsoccer.com/forum/showflat.p...&vc=1[/url]

Additional info from NCAA statistics for soccer
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/ncaa?ContentID=279

Last edited by futbol(soccer); 03/19/09 02:29 PM.
T
throw in
throw in
T
Quote:

The other part of the question was college.... there are numerous SC players (men and women) who played/are playing in college.
Look at the recent signings by College of Charleston men's program as an example. Whether they can get to the next level usually depends on the player

Yes, there are many kids from SC who go on to play college. But, I still stand by my statement that the vast majority of kids playing today do not go on to play in college. That is probably true of every state in the country though. Someone else can do the stats, but if you take how many seniors playing HS soccer this year, and then compare that to the number of freshman that will be added to college teams next year...let's face it...the MAJORITY of those seniors will NOT be playing college soccer. Hey if I'm wrong, and 51% of the seniors playing soccer at SC High Schools go on to play next year, I'll come on here and admit I am wrong.

My question to the OP is this...should the SC soccer program's number one focus be to focus only on the kids who have the talent to play in college?

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Whatever plan that maybe..I wish him or her luck with it..NUMBERS!! How do we keep people interested in soocer so half does not leave after micro? Second..As cultural as soccer is throughout the world..S.C. is not a reflection of that..That needs to change..Our game needs to be more colorful based on our population..And I believe that boys and especially girls would benefit from single gender clubs..

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
ST .... see the link to the NCAA stats

The answer to your question will be biased to the responder's circumstances.

In my opinion the answer is NO...BUT... there should be an outlet that allows the cream to rise to the top. This is what USSF academy is trying to do (but it will take years) and essentially the ODP program. In the end though playing in college should be a bonus to getting an education. If your goal is to play profesionally then you should consider overseas exposure, the pressure of taking classes AND playing may not be to your liking.

BTW the majority of members of this board are most likely involved in high level play, you will not find many recreation parents here

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
ST,
I would like to believe that the club's focus is to raise the level of all players and I believe that happens but the best rec player or the player on the decent classic team are not talked about alot on this forum so the focus comes across as high level players

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Solid training at any club usually has a trickle down effect to most all players who want more from the game

C
bench
bench
C
It may be off topic a bit, but I would like to make a comment about college soccer in SC. I looked through many of the smaller school websites last fall and noticed that they were made up mostly of foreign players, then out of state players, and maybe a few SC players. I also looked at their records and compared the results and records with the makeup of teams they played from out of state. One thing I noticed is a school like UNCA was made up of mostly NC players and they were very successful against the foreign led SC teams. What does this mean? Not sure, but as long as a SC college is not going to be a powerhouse, I would like to see them recruit and play SC players.

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

Quote:

Yes, there are many kids from SC who go on to play college. But, I still stand by my statement that the vast majority of kids playing today do not go on to play in college. That is probably true of every state in the country though. Someone else can do the stats, but if you take how many seniors playing HS soccer this year, and then compare that to the number of freshman that will be added to college teams next year...let's face it...the MAJORITY of those seniors will NOT be playing college soccer. Hey if I'm wrong, and 51% of the seniors playing soccer at SC High Schools go on to play next year, I'll come on here and admit I am wrong.

My question to the OP is this...should the SC soccer program's number one focus be to focus only on the kids who have the talent to play in college?

Texas is a big state with a lot of kids playing soccer. probably more kids play soccer in texas than there are kids in sc. no matter how good texas soccer is, a vast majority of kids there do not go on to play in college either. if they did then every college roster in the state would be texas kids.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard