Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
brace
brace
Quote:

Keeperwatcher,

My comment about Rae really has nothing to do with her being a D1 commitment. It has to do with watching her play over the years and seeing her impact on the game. Her being a D1 player only adds to her list of accomplishments IMO.

I will say this about your comments on D1 commitments maybe being the best soccer players... I am not sure that all of the top players are on that list. I do think that Rae is the best player - but that is not because she is a USC recruit. Likewise, there are many top soccer players that, for whatever reason, are not D1 commitments. That does not mean that they are not some of the top players in SC. It may mean that they have decided for themselves that this is NOT what they want to do. In my book, that doesn't mean that they are not a top SC player.

Ditto, from ROH.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
H
brace
brace
H
is she the kid that plays club at CFC?

K
kick off
kick off
K
Everyone is hung up on the D1 committ thing in my original post. I was responding to a question; "who do you think is the best player in the state"?

I used a premise to formulate an approach to answer this question. BTW, no one has addressed the list of players that I put forth but instead have chosen to explain why D1 committs don't reflect the best way to approach an answer.

Suffice to say that every player on my list are all outstanding players and all will play at the highest levels. An argument could be made for each one.

Agreed?

S
coach
coach
S
[Promise I won't post again for a while - insanely busy - but when I heard about this thread I couldn't pass it up.]

I couldn't give my opinion for the previous two years on this type of thread because I thought that I might be perceived as biased. But as someone who called out on SCSoccer.com early that Julie Bolt was in 2005 the best player in the state and in 2006 called out that Blakely Mattern was the best player in the state, I missed being able to give my opinion.

2009: Rae Wilson
2010: Alex Ramsey

By the way -- I don't think it's particularly hard to tell most years. SC isn't the most soccer-rich state in the world in terms of female soccer players.

I will make a disclaimer; I could overlook a keeper - didn't spend a decade watching keepers.

P.S. Keeperwatcher - I hope this responds to your original question - between you and me - the "D1 commit" thing offends people because they perceive it to be elitist rather than conforming to their egalitarian ideals. And there's no doubt that there could be a best player who chose not to play in the large division 1 schools - or even continue playing soccer at all. Statistically in my opinion you're correct; I think that it's just resistance to a "profiling" approach that causes the minor kerfuffle.

brace
brace
Great choices. Alex Ramsey is playing at Rock Hill this year as I understand, and that may explain a large part of their rise. Alex is indeed a player.

F
goal
goal
F
I agree with Rae Wilson for 2009. Did Alex Ramsey play for a different school last year, or did she just not play for her high school?

brace
brace
My understanding is that she scored 4 goals as a freshman in the first half of her first game, was taken out by the coach and told she was hogging the ball, and never played again that year or last. This would need to be confirmed, but I believe is pretty accurate from a reliable source.

CESA Premier club player if I am correct.

K
kick off
kick off
K
Quote:

[Promise I won't post again for a while - insanely busy - but when I heard about this thread I couldn't pass it up.]

I couldn't give my opinion for the previous two years on this type of thread because I thought that I might be perceived as biased. But as someone who called out on SCSoccer.com early that Julie Bolt was in 2005 the best player in the state and in 2006 called out that Blakely Mattern was the best player in the state, I missed being able to give my opinion.

2009: Rae Wilson
2010: Alex Ramsey

By the way -- I don't think it's particularly hard to tell most years. SC isn't the most soccer-rich state in the world in terms of female soccer players.

I will make a disclaimer; I could overlook a keeper - didn't spend a decade watching keepers.

P.S. Keeperwatcher - I hope this responds to your original question - between you and me - the "D1 commit" thing offends people because they perceive it to be elitist rather than conforming to their egalitarian ideals. And there's no doubt that there could be a best player who chose not to play in the large division 1 schools - or even continue playing soccer at all. Statistically in my opinion you're correct; I think that it's just resistance to a "profiling" approach that causes the minor kerfuffle.

Shibumi:

I certainly can't argue with your selections of Wilson in 2009 and Ramsey in 2010. Both are outstanding witnessed by their college committments and number of offers they received.

I also don't argue with your choice of Bolt in 05 (Clemson) or Mattern in 06 (South Carolina) being the top pick in those years.

I frankly don't understand why anyone would be offended by my D1 comments. Again, I never said that being a D1 committment and being the best player were synonymous.

If there are players out there that either chose not to accept an athletic scholarship to a D1 school in order to attend a D2 or even chose not to continue playing soccer at all after HS, then please put their names forth in nomination as the best player.

I stand by the logic of my approach to answer this question as being sound.

F
throw in
throw in
F
Trying to pick the "BEST" player does not make a lot of sense. There are too many factors and too many differences among the players. Is the best player the top scorer? Does the best player make their teamates better? Is the player the most effective? Is the best player the one who shuts down the opponent? Plays multiple positons? And is this all related to just their high school games or club games? All of the players listed (and many others) have special qualities and allow them to dominate games at different times. To say that it is fairly easy to say who the top player is in a given year is a stretch

K
bench
bench
K
Casi Jones would be in my top 10. She didn't sign D1 but could have.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard