Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
corner kick
corner kick
It's all a part of Wando's ingenious plot to take over the SC soccer world. The huddle mesmerizes you, the gnats weaken you, and then we steal your wallets when you're not looking =D.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; [it] is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
C
Coach
Coach
C
Ok, that's the best, most-needed laugh I've had all day.

I've got good news and bad news...
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
To all those that have contributed to this thread,thanks for your effort and time. As much as we all need to have a sense of humor every now and then, fortunately or unfortunately i was really hoping for us to share some constructive ideas and views about "issues" that have been hard to get over on the soccer scene. However,i do realize that i did mispell the word "hurdle" so will give the benefit of doubt for that. Sometimes the change we so much desire in soccer now actually starts within ourselves and maybe it is about time to channel our various mentalities towards a common goal.Thanks again for all your input.

J
corner kick
corner kick
J
Touche...

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Momentum and effort. There are a ton of things that have to get done and then maintained. Sometimes ya even gotta beg Al Green style.

Set and communicate your vision/goals. The big road block with starting a program is "they" want to see numbers (kids) first. I have always found that using an invitation approach gains many kids to show up.

I guess the big problem most programs face is dollars. To me money can only be gathered in "profit mode". It is a very private sector mentality that I believe gets lost or forgotten when encased in a (forgive the curse word) non profit endeavor.

On a personal level choosing where and when to get involved with your players. I have 8th graders that run warmups, pregame talk and halftime talks. Sure I would love to do the Knute Rockne, but they say exactly what I would say. I just choose to let them develop as leaders sometimes they slip up but so do I.

B
goal
goal
B
Modified based on some additional information.

Hurdles take many forms and have different levels of difficulty. Some hurdles are individual and some are group related. The ability to get over the hurdles requires the ability to be able to determine the difference and keep that in perspective while trying to work through and over the hurdle. In each case there is normally a set of circumstances that produce the hurdle, and then a set of circumstances/decisions that either allow you to get over the hurdle, or realize that you cannot get over the hurdle.

However, choosing a different path that doesn't require you to go over the hurdle, is a way of reaching a point further down the lane, often times with significantly less effort and drain. This different path is often made easier by circumventing some of the organizational framework that all should either strive to operate in, or strive to change.

So before you can go over the hurdle, you need to be able to recognize the hurdle, analyze the options available for getting over the hurdle, then chart the course and strive to reach it.

Last edited by Bear; 03/27/09 01:13 PM.
B
goal
goal
B
Quote:

To me money can only be gathered in "profit mode". It is a very private sector mentality that I believe gets lost or forgotten when encased in a (forgive the curse word) non profit endeavor.

Can you please expand on what you perceive to be the biggest difference between these two?

In very general terms a "not for profit" organization is required to have no net profit. Any profit at the end of the year needs to be turned back into the basic "business, or business sector" that generated it. You can get very sophisticated with this and have an annual operating reserve, and even a net operating reserve, (how do you think the SCYSA has a big bank account carried over year to year?) provided that's defined in the non profit status, however these reserves are not to be distributed as profits to members of the organization.

Nowhere in this mode and distinction is it implied or mandated that the organization does not follow standard business practices, including the generation of excess funds to return to the business, which most would call profit.

In general people hear the term non profit organization and somehow think it has to operate differently than other businesses. More importantly, I believe they feel that as a not for profit organization, they somehow have a different level of control of the business, or a different requirement for knowledge of how the business operates.

T
bench
bench
T
This thread is like the old fashion days when you got up on Sunday morning, got a cup coffee and sat down to read the Sunday comic's. Very entertaining!

throw in
OP Offline
throw in
Bear and coach Tim,thank you for your intriguing views. Hopefully we can get more insightful contributions like yours.

S
bench
bench
S
Kicker – don’t be a grouch; life is a lot more fun with a sense of humor.

There aren’t that many hurdles. Kids love to play, parents enjoy watching their kids play and coaches enjoy coaching a game they love. South Carolina has some great clubs – that are run really well.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard