Print Thread
#117167 04/13/09 03:15 PM
F
Fireant Offline OP
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
F
I have a question that I hope some of you more experienced folks can help me with.

Is it common for clubs to ask players to sign a "re-commitment form" before tryouts?

This is all new to me.

M
brace
brace
M
I've never heard of that being done.

Imagine. Believe. Achieve.
corner kick
corner kick
Which club is asking for that?

Tomorrow...is too late.
F
Fireant Offline OP
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
F
Quote:

Which club is asking for that?

I'd rather not say because I don't think it's right. I was hoping for confirmation for this board.

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
Are you referring to a "re-committment" to play the Spring season for the same team/club as the Fall? I have heard of this at the younger ages.

L
throw in
throw in
L
Not James Island

Clinton
98 Luna-Chicks

goal kick
goal kick
I've never been asked, but it's not necessarily a bad thing. Every Academy team my kids have played on has asked its players if they were planning to return the following year. Most of the time, those who did want to stay with the team retained their spots. It is useful for the club to know how many spots are open going into tryouts. Sometimes it can be hard to get people to clearly state their intentions, and the club doesn't want to end up with more players than open roster slots. This form might be a way of trying to get a good head count of returning players before tryouts. I guess I would ask if the club is "recommitting" to the player as well.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
I'm not sure why they would need or want to.

Speaking as a parent, trying out itself is a form of commitment at younger ages.

Typically parents make their first choice and go along trusting in their child's skills (or checkbook) to get them in to the Club they choose.

Like LeGrazie, this sounds one-sided to me. However if they do commit to your child returning, doesn't that sort of make the whole try out process somewhat redundant?

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong
T
bench
bench
T
As a parent I know where this is happening with older kids and two things here. This benefits the kids who want to come back and dont need to try out, but this can hurt the team as a whole (Im not talking about rec soccer here, Im talking about a team that invest $thousands per year to play). I cant agree with the player/players not performing all year and now is handed the spot back to them without feeling like they need to try. I brought my kid up different. We work for what we deserve and nothing more. If the coach can honestly say as a coach all # of players played to their potential and deserve to come back then ok but in this case, I see a club just filling in spots with $$$$. signed: seen it before, nothing new in the lowcountry!

Link Copied to Clipboard