Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Kickoff
OP Offline
Kickoff
I am wondering if anyone has experience with middle schoolers playing high school soccer in the spring instead of club soccer. I know 7th and 8th graders are not eligible to participate in Varsity soccer in SC.
For the sake of argument consider the club team competitive with the HS JV team. If both are close to equal what are the pros and cons (ex. JV costs less)?

goal kick
goal kick
My son played JV and club. The coaches were understanding of conflicts, especially the school coach who was willing for him to get most of his practice time with his club. It was a good experience. The quality of soccer was much better at the club level, but the experience of playing JV with older players was a confidence builder. It would be tough if you had to chose one or the other. I would be inclined towards club if that were the case.

O
kick off
kick off
O
I am sure there are more for both but these are the pros and cons that come to mind for me when playing JV:

1. The stigma of playing for their high school can be a confidence builder.

2. If they are good players and successful in the arena then it can be a great confidence builder playing against older players.

3. If the older players, if there are any, are positive mature leaders then the youngers players can learn from them good habits.

Negatives:
1. The opposites of the # 2 and 3 from the positives

2. The focus at training and games should be age appropriate. If the coach knows what they are doing then it will/should make a difference. A variety in ages should make it tougher to coordinate lesson plans.

3. Risk of injury becomes greater.

4. There are no coaching requirements or standards for high school coaches so it is random whether you have a qualified coach. Although coaching licenses do not ensure a quality coach it does, or should, say something about there ability to run quality training environment.

C
Coach
Coach
C
I would also add continuity to the list of positives. Players who play JV in 7th and 8th grades get to work together with the same teammates they will be moving to varsity with; knowing their teammates and exactly what to expect from them helps to create fluid teamwork on the field as they move upward together. There is also continuity in the environment, coaches, and system of play; most JV programs will prepare players to graduate smoothly into the expectations of the varsity program, so big surprises or major changes that can throw a player off balance would be less likely.

I would say there really is no single right answer; situations are different in every program, and different players have different goals. Unless there is a serious deficit in quality of experience at the JV option, though, I would say that the teambuilding quality of JV (both in team cooperation and team spirit) tends to outweigh minor differences in practice and training technique, if the object of the experience is to create success at the varsity level.

I've got good news and bad news...
C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

I am sure there are more for both but these are the pros and cons that come to mind for me when playing JV:

1. The stigma of playing for their high school can be a confidence builder.

Oh, and "stigma" is usually used as a stain or a mark of shame or disgrace...from the context of your statement, though, I assume you didn't mean it as that.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
My child chose not to play high school ball until she reached high school. Her reason being that she had her club ball to play so she felt like she was taking away from someone else that could play on the team that did not play club and that player would be further along when she got to high school ball. Makes sense to me if the numbers are there.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Also a good point in that position, and very unselfish. Like I said, no one simple answer that fits everyone in every situation; finding the best "fit" for the individual player means looking at each individual situation carefully.

O
kick off
kick off
O
Thanks for correction on "stigma." I have always used for both positive and negative but will be more careful to only use it in a negative context in future.

kick off
kick off
Personally and I do mean personally I feel that If you are on a good club team that JV is a waste of time.

1. If you are on a good club team you are probably going to make the Varsity in 9th grade anyway whether you play JV or not.

Again this is my personal opinion.

goal
goal
at first i read your question one way, and then saw it another. the way i see it now, IF both teams are about equal - which i think most people on this board do not find to be the case - then i, personally, would go with jv - again, IF they are truly close to equal - players, coaches, etc.

seems to me, if that were the case, you would have so many more positives to playing for your school. Like you mentioned, cost is one. the "cool" factor of playing for your school (although, some people might not see this - for us, it was), the challenge of playing against bigger, older players (although, like onthefence mentioned, this could also be a negative).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard