Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
world cup
world cup
95dad,

If you are on a good club team, and you attend Irmo or Northwestern....is JV a waste of time?

I would think any boy in the state would be proud to be associated with a team like that, even if he played club soccer for CESA Premier, FC Delco, Chicago Magic or the Dallas Texans.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
kick off
kick off
HURST
I would say yes it is still a "waste" if your club team is playing at the highest level. lets say you are on one of those teams you mentioned are the teams that they play against of the same level? And how exactly did these programs become such dominant programs? Answer-Club soccer i gurantee that every sucessful school program whether JV or Varsity is a reflection of the top quality Club players within it.

Again this is merely my opinion.

C
Goal
Goal
C
As a parent of a 7th grade JV player, it has been very beneficial to my sons development. He currently also plays for a very good U13 Discoveries Challenge team.

I think that the added touches on the ball, physical training, and competing against bigger and more physical players has given him added confidence when playing against players his age. So in our case it has not been a waste of time.

kick off
kick off
I have thought it through and through and i know that there will be different strokes for different folks and there really is no right or wrong choice as it depends on each individual situation, which in our case it will definately be club all the way until Varsity if i had used the phrase non beneficial for us vs waste of time i am sure it would have a different touch to it so lets do that it is most certainly not a waste of time for a player who benefits from a JV environment. I hope this will shed new light on my take of the JV vs Club outlook.

Answer this though would the strong JV programs have strong programs without the quality club players? Show me a dominant JV program not built around club players

world cup
world cup
95dad,

Nobody is arguing that the clubs are what make the top HS programs dominant. We are arguing that you can get something out of BOTH, and you are saying the JV experience is a waste of time. For kids in programs like NW or Irmo, I beg to differ.

We are not choosing one or the other. We're saying JV can be fun and beneficial.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
S
goal
goal
S
I would suspect that most coaches would agree that the more touches on the ball the better for any players development. If the coaching is strong as it would be at both NW and Irmo the so called bad habits that some would pick up would be limted. However, the benefits of gaining confidence can not be underestimated at these ages.

In 7th grade my some missed 3 club practices in the spring season and in 8th grade he missed none although he did miss the mid-season JV tournament. Practices for JV were right after school and club started at 7:00 PM.

I always left the decision up to my son due to the extra curicular type issues that come into play when playing for your school. If he wanted to play JV soccer I worked with the coaches to make it happen.

If you are forced to choose I don't think there is really any question but to go with club. However, I question coaches who force a player to choose. The old adage of which comes first the club or the player?

kick off
kick off
Hurst,

Point noted and i agree that i disagree based soley on our own personal experience.

Soccer16

Definately not a forced decision as I would never allow any coach nor would i do or allow that to happen.

appreciate everyones take on the topic.

Kickoff
OP Offline
Kickoff
Thanks for all the replies - they have been informative. We are happy with our club team's coach and their level of success. They consistently play tough competition (unlike some HS) and the other players and coach are all positive influences helping to develop a love for the game. Risk of injury or less playing time are also possible down sides of switching situations from the current club team to JV. I think we will just play club for now and hopefully skip JV soccer completely.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
As a JV coach I encourage my MS club players to go to club practice when there is a conflict. Typically training level is higher and its in the players best interest to go where the training level is higher.

It only causes issues if the coach allows it to cause issues. Be honest with the other players (and parents) and be consistent and thats all most reasonable people ask. I feel like so long as they are training they are getting better. If they are getting better they will play better for me.

I don't know of anyone who honestly believes that JV is commensurate to a good club team. Level of play at even the best JV teams simply isn't equivalent

Are there softer benefits to playing JV.....of course!!! But from a soccer perspective make sure your coach will support your son/daughter when there are conflicts and there will be conflicts. If the coach won't.....play club.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
My son played both at 8th grade.....played on a R3PL team and also my JV team. We did the whole go from a jv game to a club practice routine. He hung in there ok.....but it clearly wore on him and at what point is enough enough?

School work has to factor into the equation also....

But he had a blast with the older guys and it was fun coaching him again after a bunch of years away. I wouldn't trade the experience for anything....but I'm not sure I would do it again. If that makes sense.

Quote:

I would suspect that most coaches would agree that the more touches on the ball the better for any players development. If the coaching is strong as it would be at both NW and Irmo the so called bad habits that some would pick up would be limted. However, the benefits of gaining confidence can not be underestimated at these ages.

In 7th grade my some missed 3 club practices in the spring season and in 8th grade he missed none although he did miss the mid-season JV tournament. Practices for JV were right after school and club started at 7:00 PM.

I always left the decision up to my son due to the extra curicular type issues that come into play when playing for your school. If he wanted to play JV soccer I worked with the coaches to make it happen.

If you are forced to choose I don't think there is really any question but to go with club. However, I question coaches who force a player to choose. The old adage of which comes first the club or the player?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard