Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#117887 04/21/09 02:22 AM
Goal
OP Offline
Goal
Hey Soccer Fans...I have a question.
If someone is offsides, but is not part of the play, should an offsides be called?

Here is a video. 1st part is zoomed in and in slow mode, 2nd part is normal 18 yard box shot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u61MoCrfcAY

Note: There is a possible offsides at the beginning of this clip, but it's hard to tell if the ball is tapped by the player in white. But my main question is the 2nd ball.

“It’s the most wonderful time of the year”
C
Coach
Coach
C
NFHS Rule 11, Art. 3:

It is not an offense in itself to be in an offside position. A player shall only be penalized for being in an offside position if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by a teammate, that player is involved in active play by:

a. interfering with play or with an opponent; or
b. gaining an advantage by being in that position.

I've got good news and bad news...
C
Coach
Coach
C
Looked at both segments of the video several times. The offensive player who shoots is stepping away from the 18 and the defender in the center is stepping toward it...hard to say exactly where they were in relation to each other at the exact moment the ball was passed.

The other offensive player seems to be in an offside position, but since he is on the far side of the field and neither receives the ball nor has an opportunity to interfere with anyone stopping it, he neither gained an advantage nor interfered with the play itself.

Goal
OP Offline
Goal
Thanks coach!
So, the 2nd ball was a good call (no offsides).

I bet half the offside calls are called incorrectly. But it is easier (and quicker) just to call offsides than to figure out if someone has actually gained advantage or not.

“It’s the most wonderful time of the year”
C
Coach
Coach
C
Yep, depends on the officials...some will stand even with the last defender and signal immediately if the ball is played across the plane and a player is in an offside position anywhere across the field. Others will more properly assess whether someone in an offside position is actually involved in any way with the results.

Good video for review!

Link Copied to Clipboard