Next Thread
Print Thread
goal
OP Offline
goal
Link to Guardian UK website

Very interesting article.

Quote:

Sacchi remains as committed to 4-4-2 now as he was when his AC Milan side won successive European Cups in 1989 and 1990. Neither of his central midfield pairing of Carlo Ancelotti and Frank Rijkaard were as prolific as Robson or Matthaus, but both were certainly capable of both destroying and creating. Given players with the physical and technical attributes of Lampard and Gerrard, he would, presumably, play both in a 4-4-2 – if, that is, they had the mental attributes he demanded. He is not sure that Gerrard, in particular, does.

"When I was director of football at Real Madrid I had to evaluate the players coming through the youth ranks," he said in response to a question about Gerrard. "We had some who were very good footballers. They had technique, they had athleticism, they had drive, they were hungry. But they lacked what I call knowing-how-to-play-football. They lacked decision-making. They lacked positioning. They didn't have that subtle sensitivity of football: how a player should move within the collective.

"You see, strength, passion, technique, athleticism, all of these are very important. But they are a means to an end, not an end in itself. They help you reach your goal, which is putting your talent at the service of the team, and, by doing this, making both you and the team greater. So, situations like that, I just have to say, he's a great footballer, but perhaps not a great player."

Andrew Foley Head Coach Mens Soccer National University of Ireland, Maynooth
H
goal kick
goal kick
H
I think Michael Essien is a box to box midfielder, he scores goals as well as makes numerous tackles in his own defensive third. His fitness is absolutely incredible. To come back from the knee injury he suffered with Ghana and to be playing at the level he is right now is unbelievable.

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
Roy Keane is in my opinion the absolute best ever box to box midfielder.

WhoDaresWins
throw in
throw in
Very technical pick for an article Andrew. That box - to - box midfielder...tricky to play in the current level of the game but definately a strong hold on midfield mastery.You have one of those on your team and you have your work work fairly cutout. They are an asset. I really like the quote you made.
As for the comment on Essien,all i can say is hats off to recovery from a knee injury and yet have a stellar performance at that level.I personally had ACL reconstruction towards end of college ball and the path to playing again is a whole other story..doable but at the same time alot of respect to Essiens heart and desire to get back to that level of competition.

Link Copied to Clipboard