Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#118366 04/24/09 01:37 PM
brace
OP Offline
brace
Article from the Greer Citizen of 4/2/09 written by Joel Fitzpatrick (cannot be linked so rewritten here):

SUMWALT PONDERS FUTURE

This was supposed to be one of the best seasons in the history of the Blue Ridge High girls soccer program. After a stellar campaign last year, the Lady Tigers had hopes of challenging Riverside for the region title and making a deep playoff run.

In the team's final preseason game, however, everything changed. Junior Marissa Sumwalt, one of the program and state's most prolific goal scorers (40 career goals/19 assists) through her sophomore season), suffered a torn ACL injury that ended her season.

"It was about 12 minutes into the scrimmage against Seneca, and I was going up for a header on a corner kick," Sumwalt said. "One girl pushed me from behind, and another took out my legs. I thought I had a broken leg. I knew something wasn't right. I had never suffered an injury that serious before."

As Sumwalt watched her teammated suffer a loss to Riverside on Monday, she admitted that not being able to help was difficult.

"It is definitely hard to watch because I want to be out there so badly," Sumwalt said. "It drives me to come back stronger."

Athletes who suffer ACL injuries often come back stronger than before after going through months of rehabilitation. Sumwalt is currently going through that process, but isn't completely certain that the game she loves will still be a part of her life when all is said and done.

"This is the hardest thing I have ever gone through in my life," Sumwalt said. "After I had the surgery (with a possible infection, severe swelling, and a reaction to medication), I said I was never going to play again. At this point, I am still not sure. If I suffer this same injury again, the doctors can go ahead and cut my leg off."

Those may sound like the words of someone who is serious about giving up her athletic career, but there is a side of Sumwalt that refuses to totally let go. It's the side of her that entertains thoughts of getting back on the field for the Lady Tigers, and continuing to play the sport at the college level.

Western Carolina, Lander, Belmont Abbey, Mars Hill, UNC Asheville, and Presbyterian are among those who have shown interest, and it is hard for Sumwalt to hold back a grin when she thinks about suiting up for one of those schools.

"The schools that are looking at me aren't worried about the injury because it is so common in soccer," Sumwalt said. "If I didn't play soccer in college, I would love to go to Clemson or College of Charleston. Clemson sent me an invitation to attend a recruiting camp. I obviously won't be able to participate, but I still may go and watch."

The loss of his top player had been tough for the Lady Tigers' head coach. Not only because of her scoring ability, but because she is more than just another player to him. "It's been hard for everyone," Sumwalt said. "I think it bothers him more because I am his daughter."

With possibly nine months of recovery ahead of her, Sumwalt knows that there is little that she can do to help the Lady Tigers this season. She can, however, continue to be one of the team's biggest fans.

"Everyone on the team has stepped up," Sumwalt said. "It has been a great season, and I am so proud of the team. Hopefully, they will keep going strong."

Greer Citizen (4/23/09) by Joel Fitzpatrick.

brace
OP Offline
brace
Dad/Coach/Soccer Fan's Thoughts and Learnings:

1. ACL injuries are tougher than anyone realizes, especially if complications arise due to infection, swelling, medication, etc. It is not easier two months later, and probably not a year later. "Respect what your athlete is going through, and have empathy."

2. This is a young lady who is a thinker/player. She made All State Chorus, Girls' State, took SAT's while watching soccer for the first time. Many kids who just have soccer rush back from this injury, and often are reinjured. Great advice from her doctor and many on this forum have led her to a more balanced approach. "Experience the experience, and appreciate what the Lord has given you every day. Let your heart talk, and be honest, and the result will be a better one."

3. Teammates and teams always beat individuals. Marissa was one of the most respected teammates on all of her teams because of her ability to focus on the team instead of her individual moments. The Blue Ridge Girls' Soccer Team is having its best season ever. Every girl has stepped up and performed at a level that is much higher than it would have been. "Team first, team always."

4. Get the best doctors, the best advice, and the best rehab that you can. Dr. Michael Kissenberth of Steadman Hawkins, the Greenville Hospital System Patewood Campus, and Dave Greenburg (?) of Proaxis rehab are simply the best. Dr. Kissenberth saw Marissa every weekend day (twice) in the hospital, explained thoroughly the three options for ACL repair, called her at home this week to check on her, and is simply the most professional, personal doctor I have ever met. Dave was recommended by an scsoccer contributor from Mauldin whose daughter is going through the same thing. Thank you for that recommendation.
The learning is to "Give them the best that you can and nothing less."

5. As a 35 year Dad/Coach, I have had many, many soccer experiences. The one I will remember to this point more than any other will be carrying my daughter in my arms off a soccer field. I hold hope that there will be a better soccer memory, but it that's the last one she will remain as my favorite player of all time. "Treasure every kick, every run, every game. Be careful of your criticism, because you may not be able to give a semi-worthless opinion some day. Have fun, respect your players and your self, have class in everything you do, and play to win."

Thanks, Riss. You said, "I need a Dad more than a Coach." I am driving the bus for you wherever it goes, and I am enjoying the ride. I love you for you, and soccer is really a very small part of that. You are every father's dream and I am blessed by God to have been chosen to be your Dad.

Love forever, Dad

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
Very nice article and commentary Rollie.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Rollie,

Thanks for sharing a very personal experience with the rest of us so that we can better understand just how injuries of these types affect players and their families. Most of the time, as coaches, we don't see the extent of the effects on the players when they are off the field, at home, in the stands, etc. Sometimes we also don't understand when we tell them to "heal up and get back out there" that the physical pain of going from healthy to injured is also accompanied by the psychological pain of going from feeling invincible to feeling vulnerable and helpless--both sides require healing, and sometimes the physical side is easier and faster.

Thanks again for sharing, and best wishes for you and Marissa, as well as everyone else who is coping with the effects of injury right now.

I've got good news and bad news...
throw in
throw in

ROH,

Always willing help out with Dr. and PT information. I am hoping for a full recovery for Marissa.

"Play every game with your whole heart as you never know if it is your last game"
corner kick
corner kick
Having coached Marissa for a season, I can attest to this young lady's principles and values as well as her worth to her team. She is a dynamic athlete with much to offer in the world of sports. Having said that, it is quite obvious that she is also a well rounded individual in terms of her extracurricular activities. It's nice to see a student excel at things inside and outside of the classroom.
As for ROH's commentary, I am quite moved. Even though I've heard Marissa say "DAD!!!" in that way that only teenagers can (more times than I care to count), the underlying reality is a respect and love that I can only HOPE my 2 year old son shows for me when he reaches that age.
I wish Marissa a speedy recovery and all the best in her future endeavors, even if that does not include playing soccer. She is a remarkable young lady and a positive influence in the community and the sport of soccer. Heal quickly 'Riss! I'd love to see you out there chasing down a soccer ball again!

Chris

Last edited by formerhscoach; 04/24/09 02:42 PM.

Fletch: It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong. I am NOT a big man.
M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
ROH
Nice article (classy) and it sounds like she has the passion! ACL injuries are tough-one of my athletes is having surgery on May 14th. The hardest part about injuries is patience. I think most athletes do not exercise this when it is necessary. However, being a dad of a varsity and jv player now, I have a lot of great conversations with my daughters about soccer (Priceless!)... and ah yes driving the bus. I wish the best for Marissa and hope she heals up quickly and perfectly!
Chad

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Wow. Wow wow wow.

Sharing personal moments......you know, I have "been a Christian" all my life....at least that I can remember. But it took becoming a Dad for me to understand what love was....and it took understanding love for me to really understand the Cross and what faith in Christ meant.

Very nice post......and your little girl is just as lucky to have you as a daddy as you are to have her. My hopes and prayers will be with her for a full recovery and for a great life in whatever she chooses to do.

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

Wow. Wow wow wow.

Sharing personal moments......you know, I have "been a Christian" all my life....at least that I can remember. But it took becoming a Dad for me to understand what love was....and it took understanding love for me to really understand the Cross and what faith in Christ meant.

Very nice post......and your little girl is just as lucky to have you as a daddy as you are to have her. My hopes and prayers will be with her for a full recovery and for a great life in whatever she chooses to do.

That is, I believe, my favorite post of the year. Knowing what you would do to protect that little boy or girl makes you understand things from God's point of view all the better. Great post for a reality check and attitude adjustment on this end.

corner kick
corner kick
Silence, you kill me.

You make Achmed cry

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard