Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 17 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 16 17
L
throw in
throw in
L
Quote:

I think the handball call is the most subjective rule we have and it really drives me nuts how inconsistently refs apply it.

I once read in a coaching book that a match where the refs made correct calls 85% of the time was considered correctly refereed. I thought it was interesting to apply a given percentage to a decision (a call) that often was a 50/50 or subjective evaluation!

brace
brace
In The Pond with the Stumpduck!

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
P
Throw In
Throw In
P
Probably ought to start a thread just on refs, but I'll jump in.
One referee instructor I know says that if you never ever call a foul for intentionally handling the ball, you'll be 95% right. At the skill level of high school girls, most handballs are not intentional.
Safety and fairness. These are the principle concerns of referees. It drives me nuts to hear a ref say that he or she wants to "let the girls play," or that "the game should be decided by the players." It's not being decided by the players unless they are playing within the laws.
Finally, when are we going to address sliding tackles? Most of the players I've seen don't know how to slide tackle safely. I've had two players injured this year from sliding tackles, and many close calls. Sliding studs up or sliding from behind (getting the ball or not) is simply against the laws of the game, not to mention dangerous. Dangerous sliding tackles are more closely monitored in the EPL than in the SCHSL.
But that's not to say that our losses this year were anyone's fault but our own. I just want the girls to be as safe as possible, given the physical nature of the game.

L
Goal
Goal
L
too many refs show no respect for the girl’s game and let play get way out of hand. they resist giving out cards which allow the more physical players to continue to play rough increasing the chance of injury. i don’t blame players that play physical but they must know there are limits and being carded keep them in check. Ref will call the games tight with the boys but let everything go when it comes to the girls.

goal kick
goal kick
4/30
Ben Lippen-9
Augusta Christian-0

Goals: Carrie Settle (2), Sara Ann McCain (2), Sammi Osman, Rachel Ford (2), Merry Anna Cates (2)

This wraps up Ben Lippen as 7-3 in the region and 12-7 overall. Finished tied for 2nd in the region with St. Joseph's and the #2 seed in playoffs next week. ACS seemed much improved from the earlier game this year. Good end to the regular season. A new season begins...

throw in
throw in
Mauldin vs. Byrnes is canceled for Friday night. Game will be rescheduled for next week. Mauldin High School classes canceled for Friday due to flu......

"Play every game with your whole heart as you never know if it is your last game"
P
Throw In
Throw In
P
Daniel 3
Pickens 1
at Daniel
DWD played much better tonight than on Tuesday. Gave up an own goal in the first half.
But 16 for Pickens is certainly one of the best in the region.

R
goal kick
goal kick
R
South Aiken 1
Aiken 0

P
goal kick
goal kick
P
Pinewood Prep 3
Hilton Head Prep 1

Hard fought game. 1-1 at half. Pinewood went up 2-1 at the 67th min and added the third with about 2 mins left.

L
throw in
throw in
L
This was a great match. I thought both South Aiken and Aiken played very well and very physical. It is added fun to watch so many girls who are friends from club ball, church, family friends, etc play against each other because they all want to beat the snot out of each other, just for fun. Congrats to the Aiken keeper who handled 16 shots on goal. South Aiken was lucky to score on a very well placed corner. The game was in doubt for South Aiken until the very last second and even though South Aiken outshot Aiken 32 to 6 the game was very even. Aiken played very tough defense, almost a Catenaccio. Good job to both teams!

Page 10 of 17 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard