Brace
OP Offline
Brace
Kind of humorous and true!

Improving the preps one idea at a time
Commentary

By Clay Horning
The Norman Transcript (OK)

The prep soccer playoffs begin a week from today and though both the Norman High boys and girls must win tonight at Choctaw to reach them, I have little doubt both sets of Tigers will again partake in the postseason. Once there, here’s hoping the linesmen add to their repertoire.

Pretty much, all they do is run the sideline, complain about coaches or sportswriters obscuring their view, signal offsides and occasionally let a referee what he missed. Never will they stop a fast-moving ball, saving somebody from retrieving it while time ticks away.

It’s true no other sport is on the clock as much as soccer. But you’re kidding yourself thinking soccer’s an 80-minute game. The clock stops for goals, broken bones, torn ACLs, occasionally for bookings and little else. It doesn’t stop for whistles, substitutions or the chasing down a ball that’s rolled 40 yards off the field even though the linesman could have stuck his foot out and given everybody another 30 seconds or a minute more of a good game. And good grief, is there s prep sport in which officials take themselves more seriously?

Remember ESPN before it got the good stuff and you could come home to Australian Rules Football and there was that guy in the tie and labcoat behind the three poles at each end of that gigantic field? Well, if that guy can run the field, he’s got a future in soccer. Already, he’s got the humorlessness nailed.

http://www.normantranscript.com/sports/local_story_118013936.html

"I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles"
P
throw in
throw in
P
Ever heard of ball person. The home is required to have ball people for games. The ref is not responsible to stop ball. I've seen where the ref is more concerned with stopping the ball then making the right call.

S
kick off
kick off
S
Another great idea - let's join the rest of the soccer playing world and run a 3 man crew.

I'd be interested to know how many other states allow a two man system...

S
goal
goal
S
Amen!

The game and the emotions of the game are much easier to control when the refs are in position to make calls. I wonder how many cards would be avoided if there were 3 men crews? The players may respect the calls more (which is needed) but the refs are already at a disadvantage because in a 2 man system they know they will be out of position to make some calls from the get go!

C
Corner Kick
Online Content
Corner Kick
C
The cost is too much for some programs to run a 3 man. 2 Refs for 2 games is over $160 plus over $100 for Deputy and that is hard for some programs to break even. If you were to add another $80+ you are easily looking at over $350 per home game. I would almost rather play them all on the road and split a second gate.

S
goal
goal
S
How does football do it?

D
kick off
kick off
D
Quote:

How does football do it?

Football has a much larger gate. The people in South Carolina understand football but are mostly in the dark about soccer and thus do not turn out to watch the soccer matches. Soccer fans love a 1-0 game whereas the general public thinks a 1-0 soccer game is boring.

corner kick
corner kick
I don't place the score as the reason for watching soccer. I believe how the score happens is the exciting element in soccer and the fact you are running for 40 to 45 minutes without timeouts !!!!!!

I
goal
goal
I
Just recently watched matches where REFs were letting kids coming in from behind and blow players up... with no foul or card. Saw a JV girls game where three examples were pretty clear - one resulting in a broken arm. Varsity boys game last night where the player ran up from behind, stepped on/tripped the boy from behind and did a two hand shove to top it off. No card, no foul just a blown out knee. The policeman had his golf cart and carried the player off, should really have gotten the ref - the missed calls were criminal.

I plan on asking the school to use three REFs if I have to raise/give the money... not convinced it will help. Three stooges or two... Hopefully it will help.

Not all REFs are this way, I do not mean to paint that picture. I have seen two do a wonderful job. Some High School players revert to the combat part of soccer... the REF has to control it.

S
kick off
kick off
S
Just to echo the above post I am wondering if I am alone in thinking that refs in general let too much of the physical stuff go. I understand it as part of the game and even part of strategy but my team has played some other teams this year who seem to routinely cross the line between physicality and outright thuggery. Thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard