Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#119767 05/06/09 06:16 PM
C
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
C
As a fan and player of schsl soccer I ask the question where is the class? Do fans not understand that if you do nothing but sit in the stands and shout out racial slurs and other inappropriate phrases accompanied with obscene gestures you reflect badly upon your program and yourself. There is no problem with intense competition and rivalry but why start riots and team fights.
some may believe this to be a complaint but I know others share my same views. I play soccer for the fun of the game not to reflect badly upon myself or my peers. What's up? what does anyone gain out of starting a team fight or fans fighting in the parking lot? Notice I didn't single out any team or person.

Goal
Goal
Quote:

As a fan and player of schsl soccer I ask the question where is the class? Do fans not understand that if you do nothing but sit in the stands and shout out racial slurs and other inappropriate phrases accompanied with obscene gestures you reflect badly upon your program and yourself. There is no problem with intense competition and rivalry but why start riots and team fights.
some may believe this to be a complaint but I know others share my same views. I play soccer for the fun of the game not to reflect badly upon myself or my peers. What's up? what does anyone gain out of starting a team fight or fans fighting in the parking lot? Notice I didn't single out any team or person.

Care to share the story with a little more detail so that we can know what you are talking about

W
throw in
throw in
W
Sad as it is true, most "fans" have no clue about the game of soccer. Real soccer fans except the contact that comes with the intensity needed to perform at these levels. Enthusiasm is one thing, ignorance is another. The examples all too often are from the adults that have already roled this negative attitude to the kids making the comments...the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree. By the way, as a Wren parent we have great fan support but we are not immune from ignorance or poor fanmanship.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
It's actually not soccer that has lost its class... it's simply a lack of sportsmanship. "Real soccer fans" is a United States term which comes with US sportsmanship. World Futbol is played with a wide range of emotions depending on what continent you are playing. In Costa Rica, expect a fight on the field and more in the stands if you can risk the adventure. South Africa... I've been told by a native, that the value of life is so little in some areas that there can be fans killed at or around games. When you take college basketball into consideration, a school like Duke can heckle the other team all day long... and it's acceptable. So, why would soccer be different? I don't think the problem is with soccer... it's with society.

J
Brace
Brace
J
Celticfan,
I know of the game that you are talking about. From what was described to me, both the fans and the player that was getting heckled at were out of line. As a referee, if I would have heard some of the things that were uttered, I would have emptied the stands...and it wouldn't be the first time I would have emptied the stands, so it is not an idle threat. Secondly, as a player, you need to not be concerned what the fans are yelling, you need to just play the game. Why let a group of people get into your head. Poor sportsmanship all-around if you ask me.

If you are going to argue a point, at least get factual information to back up your side.....
throw in
throw in
Quote:

It's actually not soccer that has lost its class... it's simply a lack of sportsmanship. "Real soccer fans" is a United States term which comes with US sportsmanship. World Futbol is played with a wide range of emotions depending on what continent you are playing. In Costa Rica, expect a fight on the field and more in the stands if you can risk the adventure. South Africa... I've been told by a native, that the value of life is so little in some areas that there can be fans killed at or around games. When you take college basketball into consideration, a school like Duke can heckle the other team all day long... and it's acceptable. So, why would soccer be different? I don't think the problem is with soccer... it's with society.

Right about the society. Deconstructing the various society structures would be worth an A+++ paper in college. Unfortunately a good portion (no offence intended) of teachers of this age don't quite "teach" to make society better and would quite require an A+++ paper on such a subject to pass a student.Teaching has basically a "job" and very few actually teach human values besides calculations e.t.c all over the world. Our great grandparents and their parents even without teacher education,if we brought them back to fix all this,they would do a much better job than a good number of current Doctorate,Phd,e.t.c educators or so called school "presidents" or "teachers" that we have today.Failure in this aspect of society leads to all the occurances named above and alot more.Yet we spend less on one of the most important aspects of society - the teacher. Hope this hasn't gone off the point but it really is an obvious case of degenerative humane instruction no matter what part of the world one is at.

corner kick
corner kick
Actually in the world soccer fights are "cool" but really, America needs to fight that and not to let that to be part of the american soccer culture.

Soccer players and fans need to learn to behave in the States.

Just today at Cock and Bulls I was with my brother and we almost had a little problem there with some short dude from USC, somebody told me he is hispanic so I guess that explains his behavior although he looks like a frat kid wearing a chelsea jersey who prob doesnt speak spanish well and never played competitive soccer.

I want to believe that it was bc he was a little drunk but the fact is that we have to start teaching our soccer kids that violence is not "cool" and they have learn to have passion with a good behavior.

Last edited by Alma Merengue; 05/07/09 02:24 AM.

Club of the century.
corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

Actually in the world soccer fights are "cool" but really, America needs to fight that and not to let that to be part of the american soccer culture.

Soccer players and fans need to learn to behave in the States.

Just today at Cock and Bulls I was with my brother and we almost had a little problem there with some short dude from USC, somebody told me he is hispanic so I guess that explains his behavior although he looks like a frat kid wearing a chelsea jersey who prob doesnt speak spanish well and never played competitive soccer.

I want to believe that it was bc he was a little drunk but the fact is that we have to start teaching our soccer kids that violence is not "cool" and they have learn to have passion with a good behavior.

Pure love and passion for the game leads to good sportsmanship.

corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

Pure love and passion for the game leads to good sportsmanship.

Hey MidlandsKid...bite me!

Achmed just kidding...Achmed make joke.

"Silence, I kill you!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
corner kick
corner kick
Like I say I want to believe that guy was just drunk bc he is not even big, my older brother would have kill him on a fight...

not only was he going out of control but he also said something racist, is funny that my younger brother knows him, he is on a business frat at usc.

We just laughed at him, his friend push him out of the bar and the owner came to us to apologize.

We have to teach our kids that violent is not "cool" and is not even funny, not only the little guy would have gotten a good a.. whopped but we could have end up in jail.

Ill be willing to put money that the kid prob didnt even play high school soccer and he prob doesnt know anything but chelsea and fifa.

Good times though, it was a great game, first time I was at cock and bull, great soccer bar in columbia!!

Club of the century.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard