Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
corner kick
corner kick
In addition to playing for FM, my daughter is a certified ref and has worked many club matches with the gentleman in question. There, she says he is "fine and easy to work with." But she does not understand how he seems so different when on the field for an FM match. I do not know the root of the apparent difficulty he has with the FM captain, but it does not appear to be an isolated incident. As I understand it, the captain is the one individual on the field who is allowed to speak to the ref. If the ref tells your captain they cannot speak, then what do you do? I can only assume that he feels he can call an unbiased, objective FM match, but it doesn't appear that way to the rest of us.

Doin' it the hard way...
corner kick
corner kick
Import:
We were typing at the same time and I agree with all you say. Players can earn a reputation. Not being a ref myself, how difficult is it for a ref to call an unbiased match if he has had multiple run-ins with one player? I trust my daughter's observations, although she could be faulted for some bias on her own.

Doin' it the hard way...
Import #120979 05/14/09 04:48 PM
brace
brace
Quote:

Playoff games are assigned by the region assignor.

For the record, an assessor was at the FMHS game last night. And for the record, some FHMS fans (parents) on both the girls and boys side do not do the team any favors by some of their comments.

If a coach has a problem with the game refs, he should email, write, or call the assignor and voice his complaint(s). The coach also can request that certain official do not do their games and reason why.

Being a HS ref, and a FM soccer parent, to many times parents don't know the rules and second, you see way more in stands than on the field.

I can't argue that there are some bad refs out there but the center last night is one of the better ones in the FM region.

You have to be aware that some players have built a reputation that carries with them. There is a right way and a wrong way to communicate with a ref. That is a lesson few HS players have learned.

Would have to agree with you say many parents seem to yell out of emotion and alot do not know the rules. I have seen that ref before at both club and school games and would say that no particular bad match stands out, I believe my son has worked with him I will have to ask.
I also agree we in the stands often see way more (we are able to take in a wider view, and we also do not see alot of what they see because of distance. I know it is thankless from the stand point that very rerely do you hear fans yelling about how great your doing but that is just the nature of the beast. The best refs are the one who get equal numbers of complaints from both sides during/after the game, as for during the game a thick skin is required.

I do feel that there was a difference from the first to second half in that the calls seemed a little more even. Maybe it was that FMHS girls stepped it up a little or maybe the assignor talked to the ref at half, but if what "Mccoy" says he told a player is true he should excuse himself from his next assignment at a FMHS girls game.

Brace
Brace
Can't disagree with what you stated Doc. My youngest feels that ref has it in for our family, not only FM! One of the twins (who refs HS now) got red carded for getting up and pushing a kid who had just pulled him down and mugged him. And the youngest has rec'd two YC's from him this year. Must be me he is after! ;-)

Felt your captain was abused during Lexington game earlier this year and treated similar. Don't know who center was at that time. Alex Ramsey, when she played for Rock Hill, was treated exactly the same. Ref's seemed to call the game different for her than the other 21 players on field. Your captain getting similar treatment.

And you are correct, the captain is the one on the field who has the right to talk to the ref. The only excuse I can justify is one of pattern.

And by the way, I have heard your daughter is an excellent ref and well-respected! Sign her up for HS! She can carpool with the twin at Clemson!

Import #120981 05/14/09 05:03 PM
corner kick
corner kick
She's a good kid, and thank you! I've probably vented enough on this subject. Ultimately, the girls will have their fate in their own hands, with or without the officiating.

Doin' it the hard way...
brace
brace
Quote:

She's a good kid, and thank you! I've probably vented enough on this subject. Ultimately, the girls will have their fate in their own hands, with or without the officiating.

Win it 11 v 11, or otherwise girls showed the heart last night and with another home game they can play out out for all thier fans to see!

M
bench
bench
M
I can tell you the assignors do take more care in picking who the center referee is during playoffs. In the first round, it may be that the less skilled but qualified referees get their "reward" (because they work hard also)game early in the playoffs vs. later in the playoff rounds.
That being said, highschool referees do not have to go through the amount of training the club referees do, and there are several HS referees who are NOT club referees. This is really where you see the differences in my opinion. Talking more to the players or "warning" them as you stated is more of a US Soccer (club) directive and is not really talked about much in highschool soccer. That is not to say that referees should not be doing it but if you are only a HS referee, you (the referee) may not have been taught how to talk to a player effectively.

mette6 #120984 05/14/09 10:27 PM
World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

I can tell you the assignors do take more care in picking who the center referee is during playoffs. In the first round, it may be that the less skilled but qualified referees get their "reward" (because they work hard also)game early in the playoffs vs. later in the playoff rounds.
That being said, highschool referees do not have to go through the amount of training the club referees do, and there are several HS referees who are NOT club referees. This is really where you see the differences in my opinion. Talking more to the players or "warning" them as you stated is more of a US Soccer (club) directive and is not really talked about much in highschool soccer. That is not to say that referees should not be doing it but if you are only a HS referee, you (the referee) may not have been taught how to talk to a player effectively.

I have players that are club referees. What kind of training do they do vs HS referees?

M
bench
bench
M
It actually depends on what grade they are. If they are still HS kids, they likely are grade 9 or 8 or maybe 7 if they have been in it a while. That would mean they should be doing 5 hours of additional training a year. Most of the upper level referees that do both club and HS are grade 6 or 5 and require much more training as well as go to tournaments etc. and get much more training there from folks.

M
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
M
Quote:

So far 21 out of 24 correct in 4A brackets.

TL Hanna
Mauldin

Fort Mill
Dorman

Summerville
West Ashley

Wando
Lexington

Ok here we go:

I have to pick against one of my favorites TL Hanna.
TL Hanna 0
Mauldin 2

Another unpopular pick as now I make enemies with Hurst as well as CJ.
Fort Mill 1
Dorman 2

Summerville 0
West Ashley 2

In a rematch of one of the most controversial title games, Lexington will be the team needing 12 this time to win...
Wando 3
Lexington 0

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard