Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
C
Coach
Coach
C
(And if that's "Buddhist" of me to think that way, well, I've been called a lot worse.)

I've got good news and bad news...
kick off
kick off
"Let me state that I have seen Lex many times over the last few year. They have shown during this time to have a real lack of sportsmanship as a whole. From fouls behind the play to the coaches crying to the newspapers after the loss for the state championship a few years back (he stated that the other team had played with 12 for the second half video proved otherwise, I also saw the event first hand). The coach can show/control/encourage what we hope all our kids will have as they grow up. This also goes for the parents/fans, the players will follow the lead given them. It is a shame that some fine young players/adults have this a roll model, hopefully the people that need to look in the mirror will not like what the see and try to do what is right."

Did anyone watch the soccer game? This is old news rehashed over and over and over. I saw one really bad tackle last night and one poor challenge one by each team. This does not constitute poor sportmanship just poor decision making. I thought Coach Fryland was well reserved last night and I did not once see him or Coach Champ make a show with the refs but I was watching the games not the coaches. For you parents that continually attack Coach Fryland for his antics 2 years ago following a heart breaking loss what are you teaching your kids(young adults).

By the way my daughter was the 12th player on the field during the substitution mix up. The fourth official made a terrible mistake in sending her on!!! The whole incident and the parents and coaches reaction took a bit away from her shining moment as one of the team Captains for Wando.

She got over it and does not hold any ill will to Coach Fryland or any of the players on that team. If the Parents on both sides would try to live in the present and not the past maybe we could TALK ABOUT SOCCER!!!!!!!

Last edited by MRoss; 05/16/09 04:53 PM.

ROSS!!! For no reason!
W
goal kick
goal kick
W
Quote:

"Let me state that I have seen Lex many times over the last few year. They have shown during this time to have a real lack of sportsmanship as a whole. From fouls behind the play to the coaches crying to the newspapers after the loss for the state championship a few years back (he stated that the other team had played with 12 for the second half video proved otherwise, I also saw the event first hand). The coach can show/control/encourage what we hope all our kids will have as they grow up. This also goes for the parents/fans, the players will follow the lead given them. It is a shame that some fine young players/adults have this a roll model, hopefully the people that need to look in the mirror will not like what the see and try to do what is right."

Did anyone watch the soccer game? This is old news rehashed over and over and over. I saw one really bad tackle last night and one poor challenge one by each team. This does not constitute poor sportmanship just poor decision making. I thought Coach Fryland was well reserved last night and I did not once see him or Coach Champ make a show with the refs but I was watching the games not the coaches. For you parents that continually attack Coach Fryland for his antics 2 years ago following a heart breaking loss what are you teaching your kids(young adults).

By the way my daughter was the 12th player on the field during the substitution mix up. The fourth official made a terrible mistake in sending her on!!! The whole incident and the parents and coaches reaction took a bit away from her shining moment as one of the team Captains for Wando.

She got over it and does not hold any ill will to Coach Fryland or any of the players on that team. If the Parents on both sides would try to live in the present and not the past maybe we could TALK ABOUT SOCCER!!!!!!!

My post was about pre-game sportsmanship of an event that happened last night and Coach Fryland's antics LAST NIGHT. The Wando girls obviously did not hold any ill will to Coach Fryland for events that happened before most of them were even on the team. They ran over to him even though it was awkward and he never made an attempt to meet the ladies at center field.
It was a much cleaner game than I expected after Lex made a point to disrespect the Wando coach.
Wando controlled the game the first half, Lex was the better team the second half. I agree it could've gone either way.

C
Coach
Coach
C
At any rate, I'm looking forward to seeing Wando and West Ashley battle it out for Lower State on Monday...do we have an official game time set? I have a "mandatory" after-school function Monday evening in MC, but with an extended "bathroom break" and possibly bending a few traffic laws, I hope to at least catch the second half.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

My post was about pre-game sportsmanship of an event that happened last night and Coach Fryland's antics LAST NIGHT. The Wando girls obviously did not hold any ill will to Coach Fryland for events that happened before most of them were even on the team. They ran over to him even though it was awkward and he never made an attempt to meet the ladies at center field.

I like the custom of shaking the opposing coach's hand during introductions, but it is not typically done in the Midlands. While we did not expect it when we played at Wando on Wednesday, we respected it and tried to participate. When our starters were introduced, Coach Champ stepped out and offered her hand to our players and they took it respectfully. When Wando's players were introduced, we did the same thing. But in Lexington's defense, it is not commonly done here in Region 5-AAAA or other mid-state locations. In fact, at most stadiums we play at, the coaches and teams are on opposite sides of the pitch. Wando, White Knoll, and Aiken were the only venues we visited that had both teams on the same side.

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
Quote:

Bishop England 4
Barnwell 0

The game was closer than the score shows. Barwell played their hearts out tonight and should be proud. BE is obviously very talented and Barnwell gave them a great game.

I would just like to congratulate my girls on a great season and all the effort they gave me this year. We had our best season in school history at 15-7. The Seniors have set the bar high for everyone that comes through Barnwell after this. We gave it all we could last night but it is just hard for a rural area to compete against a more "well off" area. We are closing the gap though...and hopefully will get over the Bishop England hump one day.
Congrats Lady Warhorses on a wonderful season and I am proud of each and every one of you!! You taught me more than you will ever know!!

C
Coach
Coach
C
Not excusing or condemning anything or anyone...but Coach P is right; different teams sometimes have different habits and protocol. Since the visiting team is always introduced first, they don't have the chance to observe the "local" customs in front of the home crowd, so sometimes they don't realize what the expectation is until it's too late.

That said, though...once it becomes obvious that the home players are running over to shake a coach's hand, it would be considerate and respectful to come meet them halfway.

hat-trick
hat-trick
At Wando, we did not have to run all the way across the field since both Wando's and Irmo's benches were on the same side of the field. Irmo's custom is for the entire team to line up on the touch line, and as a starter is introduced, she runs behind her teammates away from halfway and then back in front of the line to touch hands with each teammate in the line. As our starters did that on Wednesday, Coach Champ was waiting at the end of our line. She was right there so our players did not have to run anywhere to meet her. But Lexington may not have the same custom as Irmo and their players may run to center field from where they are standing. It's possible they did not realize Coach Champ was waiting to shake their hands.

L
Goal
Goal
L
so is it sporting or trying to get into the players/coaches heads with the pre-game hand shake?

just do it after the game not before.

W
goal kick
goal kick
W
Quote:

At any rate, I'm looking forward to seeing Wando and West Ashley battle it out for Lower State on Monday...do we have an official game time set? I have a "mandatory" after-school function Monday evening in MC, but with an extended "bathroom break" and possibly bending a few traffic laws, I hope to at least catch the second half.

I haven't seen a game time yet, but the local games have started a little earlier than 7:00. Bring your players with you!

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard