Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
bench
OP Offline
bench
A
I am going to do my best to provide a recap of the game between Wando v Irmo. I have no affiliation with either school. I am just appreciate prep soccer at a high level. I used to play back in the Upstate many years ago. So I understand the thrill of victory and agony of defeat.

The atmosphere at Wando Stadium was great. Irmo had many students in the stands with flags, posters, and enthusiasm. The Wando side of course had families of players, and a strong student section rooting their classmates on. There was some moments where things could have gotten out of hand, but law enforcement was on hand to prevent trouble. I think that the biggest instigators probably were the players themselves. Each team would go over and essentially "taunt" the student sections. I think it was all in good fun but the refs did a good job in trying to cut out that nonsense.

1st Half:
Irmo dominated the first 15 minutes hands down. Irmo #6 and #7 were very fast and skilled. They even tracked back to play defense and disrupted the flow to the Wando midfield throughout the game. Very dangerous duo. They played toward the outside as outside forwards. During this time Wando conceded A LOT of throw ins and dead ball situations. This would be their achillies heel.

#8 of Irmo who was the rock of their defense, rifled in a throw in at the 8' which created havoc in the Wando 6yd box, and was headed into the right corner by #20. Irmo was just faster to the ball and very very aggressive. Wando came out very flat.

Wando however began to pick it up and their confidence steadily amounted. Irmo blitzed early on creating enormous pressure down the flanks. Wando adjusted and slowed the game down. Wando I have to say played more of a counter attack. I was anxious to see Lundy play, but he was playing center forward and hardly saw the ball much. #12 of Wando was exceptionally fast and Wando had many chances to play him down the flank, but never did. Very poor game-plan. Irmo played 3 in the back most the game, and Wando could have really capitalized if they spread the ball out more.

There was no real midfield play. Everything was played out of the back by Wando, in hopes that their 3 attackers would quickly get behind the Irmo defense. Wando was on the defensive the entire 1st half except for a few shots that did not seem to trouble the Irmo keeper. #8 really neutralized Lundy (#19 of Wando). Irmo pelted them with very dangerous throw ins by #8 and Wando gave up many corners. Irmo should have been up 2-0 when off a corner the ball was glanced to the backside of the goal where I believe #6 or 7 of Irmo had the net wide open from about 8 yds and hit side netting. Big miss. Instead Irmo went into halftime with a 1-0 lead.

2nd Half:
Wando dictated the pace early on. They really played a more slowed down game. Actually both teams settled down quite a bit. Irmo's blitzing style was neutralized because Wando played possession reasonably well. I say the most of the 2nd half was played evenly. Wando had several dangerous free kicks in the 2nd half. 2 of their most dangerous chances off deadball situations were by #19. Both were looping swingers that just barely missed their target, leaving the Irmo keeper helpless. Lucklily, they went over the post. Wando also had another rocket that almost put a hole in the upper left 90. Only it continued to rise and went right between the cross bar and the crossbar of the football post.

Wando could have probably done a lot more, but Irmo pressed.Their set pieces were extremely dangerous again. Wando was confused on how to defend corners and throws the whole game. #5 of Wando (Dillon) was their saving grace. He played like Fabio Cannavaro. Very good field sense and positioning and marshalled the Wando defense the whole game. Very good job. The Wando fullbacks RB and LB had their hands full and really were very weak. They were a liability. I think Irmo saw that and via #6 and #7 attacked them the whole night.

Wando however never quit. And through a good piece of counter atttacking, a streaking #12 snuck by the Irmo left back and #9 of Wando threaded the ball perfectly to him from about 30 yds into Irmo's half. #12 latched on and calmly slotted the ball into the far right corner of the net. Smooth finishing. If #12 had seen more of the ball I am sure he would have scored a few more. However, Wando kept trying to play it straight ahead and did not use space as well as they could have.

Game finished regulation 1-1.

1 OT: Wando did not have many chances. But it was a piece of individual brilliance that put them up 2-1. In the 5' Wando got a corner (I believe) and when Irmo cleared, it went to #19 who trapped the ball down with his chest and volleyed it to the far post from inside penalty area (14 yds out). Very classy shot. Goal of the game. Wando was very hyped up now. Their midfield seemed to have taken a more assertive role from the 2nd half onward.

Irmo tried to quickly blitzed and attacked right after the goal. But were continually denied every time they went through the middle. #5 was a bulldog on Wando's defense.

2 OT: Irmo however would capitalize on the weak fullback play of Wando. Wando sooner or later would be punished for giving up so many corners and throws. Irmo would tie off a corner. More disruption in the Wando box and in the scramble #3 of Irmo headed it in. Minutes late, #8 launched another one of his dangerous throws from the left side of the pitch deep in Wando territory. The flick found an open #7 who poked in the game winner.

Final impressions: Irmo was a very very well conditioned team. I think that whoever plays them need to play with high confidence. Irmo's speed and pressure is intimidating. They seem to live for set pieces (corners and throw ins). If they get those chances, you are in for a long night.

Their forwards #6 and 7 were great two way players. Very aggressive, fast, and quick. I think they could have taken on the Wando fullbacks more if they wanted. #4 and #8 also are of note. #4 really was the engine room of Irmo's attack. He had a lot of creativity and flair. #8 was the bedrock of their defense. Really stabilized the Irmo defense and his throws were deadly. He had 2 assists on the night.

Wando seemed to want to play a slower, passing possession type game with quick counter-attacks. They were successful for the most part because it created some dangerous goal opportunities (2 of which they put away). I think they played a little too much long ball. They had 3 forwards going against sometimes 8 Irmo midfielders and defenders. It was really hard to create goal scoring opportunities that way. #12 was very skilled and fast. They should have played toward the outside a lot more than they did. #3 of Wando seemed to pop in and out of the game, but you could see he had talent. Played a deeper role in the midfield but could have aided the attack better. #5 was Wando's best player. Cut out Irmo's attack time and again. Fullbacks did a poor job, and other than the two central defenders, the set pieces created a lot of confusion for the Wando defense and they sometimes were luck to clear the ball down field. Also they needed to work on closing down the ball. Irmo just seemed to be quicker to the ball and tracked back much better.

The game was fantastic and both teams played fair and tough. It could have gone either way. It was just a contrast in styles. A slow more methodical Wando team vs a fast attacking Irmo side. Great prep soccer game.

S
throw in
throw in
S
Wow! Thanks for taking the time to give those of us who didn't attend a very thorough recap of the game. As I read your post, I visualized being in the stands and watching the match. Sounds like it was very exciting.

May the best team win the state title! Good luck to both Irmo and Northwestern!

C
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
C
Great recap! Thanks

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
Thank you for the recap. As an Irmo fan who has seen many of the games, the action you described fits right in with their MO all season....except the part about the other team scoring and them not scoring many more.

Good luck to Irmo in the finals!!!!

throw in
throw in
The #8 player you praised on Irmo's side was Padula, and what was even more amazing to me, was that just the day before he had been on crutches for a sprained ankle. I didn't think he'd make the game and hearing that he did, and made such a difference is really a mark for his talent and dedication.

Great recap. Thanks alot, I felt like I was really there. Can't wait for the State Championship.

P
kick off
kick off
P
Nice recap, ajax. But I do believe it was #3 of Irmo marking Ralphie, not #8.

S
Goal
Goal
S
Very good recap. Only thing I would add is I was constantly amazed at how many Irmo players were unmarked inside the box on corners and set pieces. It happened time and time again all night long. It was no surprise that's where Irmo's goals came from.

A
bench
OP Offline
bench
A
Could not agree with you more about the marking by Wando SoccerWatcher. Wando was very confused on set pieces, particularly throw-ins. Irmo players seemed to pop up on the back post and middle unmarked on every deadball situation. I cannot emphasize that point enough EVERY throw and corner Irmo had 2 players or more unmarked. Plus the clearances by Wando were very weak some didnt even get out of the 18 yd box.

I will say this though, if N'western is as good as people say they are, and Irmo relies on set pieces and dead-ball situations as there primary goal scoring weapon...I just do not think that will cut it. Their forwards are very good, but at some point Irmo needs to build through the middle, switch to the outside and get crosses. Attacking strictly from the flanks and hoping to get a throw-in is too obvious of a tactic and I feel can be shut down. But you know what, Irmo did a fantastic job executing the plays. So it paid off. With the right marking you can certainly neutralize it is all I am saying.

Irmo did not seem to have a player with some sort of cutting edge "I can take over the game" type player. I saw instances of that surprisingly by #3 (a defender) who slalomed into the Wando box from midfield (close to scoring had he not had a heavy foot while dribbling) and #4 who was attack minded and did not hold up the ball.

I think Irmo's coach needs to let #6 and #7 take guys on 1v1. Let them attack defenders. I saw them hold up the ball too much when they had numerous chances to beat one guy and take it all the way. They are not hold up the ball type players. I think the coach needs to loosen the reigns on them and let them do their thing. THAT would make a big difference to Irmo becoming multi-dimensional in the attacking third of the field.

Last edited by ajax1979; 05/20/09 08:54 PM.
M
brace
brace
M
ajax, you hit the nail on the head. IRMO did not combine as well as they are capable of doing from the midfield forward last night. The defending was weak and combination play away from pressure as been better. When these guys keep their heads up and move to space away from the ball they are impossible to beat. When they play as individuals, it's anyones game.

I'm not a fan of 1v1 attacks as a majority strategy for the final third as it slows the game down and makes the attack too one dimensional killing supporting opportunities from drops, crosses and overlap runs to name a few. In fact, I thought the IRMO midfielders and forwards spent too much time in a 1v1 attack mode.

They must simplify and combine as a team in order to take Northwestern down on Saturday.

If not, they will have to rely on set pieces as they did last night. They are very good at them, but I agree with you those alone aren't likely to get the job done against NW.

They must combine and support each other with great speed of play. Anything less spells trouble for any team at this level.

Imagine. Believe. Achieve.
S
throw in
throw in
S

Link Copied to Clipboard