Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
W
bench
bench
W
For those of you that attended the match on Tuesday you witnessed two great teams playing yet another State Championship match. I myself would like it to have gone to double OT just for the shear excitement these two teams can generate. But to have it end with which is now a questionable call is a shame. We ask of our teams to be consistent why not the referees? The refs whistled dead no less than 5 dangerous play calls. Why not this one?

After watching the video, I went back to the article in the Sun News where Coach Snyder is quoted, “Sometimes you get sort of a lucky break. I didn’t expect their player to knock the ball out of her own keeper’s hands." This video clip proves the only lucky break he got was the no-call by a ref.

I predict BE by 5 goals against Christ Church.

corner kick
corner kick
All posters listen to adidaskitten86 as she has been there and done that for the best teams in SC. Adidaskitten86 I hope after you receive your degree and complete your internship you will find time to help/coach the youth girls in SC soccer to have the same experience you have had though out your years in SC. I wish that you could help SC soccer grow into soccer everyone wishes to see.

Thanks for all your time and sacrifice for the love of soccer.

kick off
kick off
Quote:

So I had this whole thing written up, but I decided it wasn't worth it to post it, so I just have this:

There's a lot more factors involved in this goal than just a questioned call/noncall. I don't think anyone will argue that both teams played and worked hard in this game and I think it's a little much to be using such acerbic language as to accuse someone of "charging" a keeper as if it were an intentional malicious act. Player safety is important, but so is appreciating the game and the players and not putting them down after the fact, whether the act is intentional or not.

The clip looks different depending on the viewer's perspective. To me, it looks fairly obvious that she was going for the ball and then pitched forward off balance as she knocked into the keeper. As a player, I've seen similar things happen and not ever get called. Heck, I had one game with a 1v1 where she was coming at me hard and I was mid-sprint with the ball and as I tried to slip the ball past her, she came down on her knees and her nose collided with my knee mid-step. One broken nose and no goal later, no call.

At any rate, the point is, the rule in the game is that you cannot challenge when the keeper has the ball in her possession, not that you have to back off in a two foot radius when the ball is near her. A good striker continues to challenge the ball until it's in possession of the gk just like a good gk challenges the ball to get it into her possession when it's in her box, then the good striker does whatever they can to get out of the way.

I think we should be applauding the referees for taking the time to consult with each other before making any decision and try to keep away from using such charged language based off of grainy video and personal biases.

These kids played hard and they played their hearts out and I wish BE good luck tomorrow and I know Waccamaw will be waiting next season with even more heart to put into the game.

PS. Before anyone accuses me of not caring about player safety, I say this as someone who will hopefully be in a Orthopaedic Surgery residency in three years with a focus on youth and professional sports medicine for fellowship. And I want to do research on helping prevent ACL injuries in female soccer players.

Very Well Stated

ROSS!!! For no reason!
C
Coach
Coach
C
AK, very well said as usual; great perspective.

Chief, you keep saying nobody is looking at the video and defending the forward's play, so here goes. Finally made it home to my "good" computer and have watched the clip about 20 times consecutively, both slow-mo and full speed, and here's what I see.

75th minute of a scoreless and intense semi-final match; time is ticking down fast on regulation and it's anyone's game. Ball is played in the air into the box, well-placed enough to allow a chance for play before the keeper rounds it up. The purpose of sending this ball in the first place is for the forwards to run onto it before the keeper can collect it or the defenders clear it out.

B-E's #19 does what she is trained and expected to do--go hard for the ball. She comes into the screen in a full-out sprint to the ball locked shoulder-to-shoulder with Waccamaw's also-sprinting #7. When she hit top speed, the ball was still anyone's and the keeper had not begun her charge. Meanwhile the keeper does what she is trained and expected to do--go for the ball before the forwards can take a shot--so she moves at an angle toward the ball, stepping into the path of the sprinting forward and defender.

Waccamaw's #7 breaks off at the last second as she is on a collision course with both the keeper and fellow defender #21, who is coming in from another angle--she is trained not to interfere with the keeper once she has called for the ball. This leaves the B-E forward with a split second to get a touch on the ball--this close to the goal and the keeper, with the keeper committed, a controlled shot isn't necessary; even a slight change in the ball's path could result in a goal. Rather than going in shoulder first, she leans back hard, stretches for and gets a piece of the ball with her leg, and her momentum carries her into the keeper. She rolls away toward the goal at contact and has separated the ball from the keeper with herself in between.

That's the description; now the analysis.

1. What coach, under those circumstances, teaches his players, "I know it's a run-on ball, but judge your speed, how fast the keeper is coming out and at what angle, how fast the ball is moving and in which direction, and if you're not SURE you can get to the ball without colliding
(taking into account all possibilities of the keeper's motion making collision more or less inevitable), just back off and let her have it. Heck, we have a little over 4 minutes left. There'll be other chances."

2. You keep using the word "reckless" as if it were an intentional abandon of safety. The sprint was begun while the ball was still VERY loose and before the keeper stepped directly into her path. Question...have you ever tried to stop or change directions from a full-out sprint, slightly off-balance from someone shoulder-to-shoulder with you, when someone makes the decision to step into your path about ten feet away?

When it's clutch time, competitive players are taught to play with a sense of urgency--which means going hard for every ball, trying to capitalize on every opportunity. I am certainly not condoning any attempt to deliberately plow through a keeper, but neither would I condemn an honest attempt to get to the ball before the keeper does. When you play hard, sometimes collisions happen. What I saw was not an intentional play to take out the keeper; what I saw was a player focused entirely on getting to the ball, stretching with her leg and attempting to keep her body away from impact, and a collision resulted.

Dangerous? There's danger in any play that stretches athletes out to their limits. Reckless and "plowing" the keeper, though? A bit strong. Two players went hard to do their jobs and they collided in the process. Until you've been on the field in the situation, actually PLAYING and making decisions at game speed instead of analyzing possiblilities in slow-mo from an armchair, you don't have much perspective to distinguish "reckless" from "going hard."

I've got good news and bad news...
kick off
kick off
Perfectly stated and punctuated as well!!!!!

ROSS!!! For no reason!
corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

Perfectly stated and punctuated as well!!!!!

Not really!

That was a lot said about nothing!

Look at the video 20 more times and read Chiefs explanation 20 more times...then check out the case studies online.

You will then be able to see 20/20

Nothing against any team or player, but that's a foul. Unfortunately, it's one that goes uncalled way to often! I can certainly understand why it was called that way considering the comments that have been posted about the video.

Maybe this video could be used to educate our officials, coaches and players since most of them failed to "make the correct call".

C
Coach
Coach
C
You're always going to find "nothing" in what you read if that's what you go looking for. I read Chief's explanation...if saying "that was a foul" 20 times made something undisputably true, there would be a lot of undisputable experts on this board, most of whom would completely disagree with each other constantly.

C
Coach
Coach
C
And, for the record, I am more taking issue with the implications of "reckless" and "plowing," which would imply wilful intent to endanger and incapacitate.

brace
brace
Quote:

And, for the record, I am more taking issue with the implications of "reckless" and "plowing," which would imply wilful intent to endanger and incapacitate.

Early on I gave credit to the Fwd for trying to make a play and I do not think I have ever accused her of trying to hurt the keeper intentionally or playing dirty. I know what it is like to have the "focus' in on an objective to the exclusion of all else, even my own safety.

When I say plowing over I am refering to what happened, she did plow er over with physical contact head on, in fact her knee clearly (as best as I can see) hits the keeper on her left (away from the fwd) leg. This means she crossed the keepers body with hers while trying to get a shot I do not see being taken (I only see an attempt to get the ball no real contact). It is always charging players responsibility to aviod excessive contact not the player being charged. If I am going 30 and you are going 65 on the road you can miss me better than I can avoid you!

My real point on reckless has always been and still is that the play in and of itself was reckless (no willful intention implied, lots of people do reckless things everyday with out realizing it). The fwd could have severely hurt herself or the keeper. I say fwd because she is the one movin at full speed at target with the ability to avoid the keeper (yes, I am sure the defenders position played a part in her path). What I am saying is that the ref allowed this type of contact and sets a standard that is ok. If this is not a foul then any player can run itno another at full speed as long as they are trying to make a play, that is what you are in effect saying when you call this ok.
Please do not read into my comments that I feel this young lady was at fault for her play. Players should play with all the intensity they can. It is the ref who must pull them back when it becomes unsafe, water on the fire if you will. My own daghter would likely have done the same thing and I hope I would have the intestinal fortitude to say the same thing here! A play like tht is a foul because of what could happen not what did. Did the keeper need to end up with a broken leg to prove it was "dangerous"?
If this is safe then I think we are getting close to say end out weighs means. I want my kid and every other kid walking off the field afet every game, this knd of play will eventually not allow that to happen.

If it was a good safe play then lets show it to every team and say this is ok so do it if you have to!

brace
brace
By the way this is how a great discussion forum should work! The comments and opinions expressed here have been both insightful and respectful. Those on oppisite side have been polite and made thier cases without resorting to name calling and for that I am thankful and proud that we can discuss what we love (the kids and the game) in such an open and respectful way.
Thank you all

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard