Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#123083 05/24/09 01:11 PM
bench
OP Offline
bench
Why don;t all the clubs in the area stagger their tryout times. Appears that CESA, USA, and CFC all have the same tryout times. Makes choice for parents difficult, and has to be bad for business.

H
kick off
kick off
H
It shouldn't be the parents decision,it should be the kids.

D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
Even staggered tryouts can create difficult situations. If your child wants to try out with a competing club, and the tryout dates are staggered, the child may end up in a situation where the first club (knowing the player has started tryouts with a competing club) wants a decision from the child by the next day, before the club has even posted the selections for the rest of the teams. Some kids still make a final decision based on whether they feel comfortable at a club based on friends, or personalities on a team. It can create a lot of anxiety for a child when one club demands an answer before the child has all the information needed to make a decision.

G
kick off
kick off
G
Why not just have a single day that all of the clubs post their roster, about a week after the last tryout date? This would eliminate the need for early decision making, too. By the way, some clubs do want to have a decision on the day of the last tryout, and in my case, a club asked for a decision on the day of the second tryout of three. They didn't even tell me what team I would be on. By the way, the team that made me decide on the second day of tryouts was NOT CESA. In fact, because the coach forced me to make this decision, I quickly declined the spot on the team that he didn't even tell me if I had made. This is also a small part of the reason that I went with CESA, who were very courteous and told me to consider all of my options before joining.

Last edited by CESAplyr; 05/25/09 12:36 AM.
brace
brace
Quote:

Why not just have a single day that all of the clubs post their roster, about a week after the last tryout date? This would eliminate the need for early decision making, too. By the way, some clubs do want to have a decision on the day of the last tryout, and in my case, a club asked for a decision on the day of the second tryout of three. They didn't even tell me what team I would be on. By the way, the team that made me decide on the second day of tryouts was NOT CESA. In fact, because the coach forced me to make this decision, I quickly declined the spot on the team that he didn't even tell me if I had made. This is also a small part of the reason that I went with CESA, who were very courteous and told me to consider all of my options before joining.

The simple answer to this whole thread is money. Clubs want the best players they can get to form the best teams they can becasue that will in turn draw in more players and more money. A club can not form team of say 15 players and then have 4 players say well I got offer from another club so never mind.
I think we all know at some point a club must draw line and say in order to have team we must know who is commiting so we can make a team. This is one place where little leauge has got soccer beat hands down. The assignment of "areas" to leauges makes it simple for players to know where they should play. You play in your leauge, or have to get permission to play in another leauge (not easy to do), now maybe that fact that far fewer people are making a living (or significant income) off little leauge players has somthing to do with this but "soccer club" vs "little leauge" setup does seem to be in stark contrast. (oh and do not get me wrong I KNOW LLBB has many major flaws just seems thier player rostering/assignmet works much better)

C
goal
goal
C
I have been in/on all sides of this problem. I had a daughter that only had 14 show for tryouts, which would have made a good team but then 1 decided not to play, and 2 left for other teams. We played with eleven players all year, no one complained about playing time. Maybe the only time too much playing time was a complaint.

I also been on the board trying to assign coaches and create teams and you have no idea who is committing. Parents want to know who the U-13 coach is but you have no idea if you will be able to form a team or not. And as a board memebr you feel really bad when you have to disband a team because 4-5 players who committ leave. Its not as bad as it was but it still happens.

And last but not least my daughter went out for a team and then it didn't form and she was almost left out in the cold because she didn't tryout for any other club. She was lucky and was able to find a team.

BTW, Isn't Little League Recreation?

Here I go again!
corner kick
corner kick
Good to see your still out there lurking Chapindad. Missed you at the CHS games this year!

Here is one example I saw happen last year. A team made it into the PL and of course had a ton of players show up for their tryouts several of which were from outside their area or had played for other clubs. Tryouts went well and the club posted their rosters which of course had a number of "new players" from outside the area. Unfortunately, the team did not get any sort of a verbal commitment from those out of area players prior to posting the roster. By the time they found out that those players had no intention of playing for the team the damage had been done, feelings had been hurt and players had committed to other teams and clubs. The result was a team that almost didn't make and had to play brutal season in the R3PL with only 11 players.

Not saying one way or the other is right or wrong. I can understand the argument on both sides. Just throwing this out there as one reason why a team/club would want some sort of verbal commitment.

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
L
Goal
Goal
L
how do various clubs extend spots to players?

i know cesa (coaches)and bridgefa calls each player to extend a spot to get an acceptance before posting the team's roster.

G
kick off
kick off
G
I guess there's no easy way to do this, but just to throw out another opinion, maybe it would be best for the premier league teams to have "decision days" before the other clubs in the age group. I do realize that this could bring up a whole other set of issues, but it seems like tryouts should be held first for the teams who have the most players that would rather play for that team before any other one. (and PL teams are in very high demand).

D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
Quote:

The simple answer to this whole thread is money. Clubs want the best players they can get to form the best teams they can becasue that will in turn draw in more players and more money. A club can not form team of say 15 players and then have 4 players say well I got offer from another club so never mind.
I think we all know at some point a club must draw line and say in order to have team we must know who is commiting so we can make a team.

Sure that's valid, but does that really change things if the player declines the 'offer under pressure?' Does that infer that there is someone just as good waiting in line for a spot?

The club should just offer a position at the same time they do for everyone and wait until the deadline for acceptance is over. The pressure tactics may get them a player but does it benefit them when these issues are brought out for anyone to see? My opinion, it's bad PR.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard