Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
thanks for mentionaing altidore, why does he sit on the bench at zerex or whatver? He played for Villareal which i think are 4th or 5th in la liga and he cant even get a game for a team in segunda?

doing away with regions is a great idea i neevr really though about that... i like to see when teams schedule hard opponents and may not have the best records but are defiantely tested like dreher, chapin, cardinal newman, wando...all these teams obviously didnt have similar seasons but definately got better becuase of out of region play

corner kick
corner kick
this is just what i think.

Altidore went from a much slower en physical MLS to a ligue where you have the most skilled players in the world, it was going to take prob another 5 years for him to be at the same level as most of the south american attacking players on la liga.

The transition from MLS to La liga is just too much I think, maybe playing a little for some small teams in England, then going to Spain would have been a little better.

Developing a winning main or the other one?

How about developing a professional mind since kids?

Like I said, if you have a premier team focused on "winning" but the kid knows he would have to move somewhere else to make it pro, then that is not really going to create great players.

The American player is too focused on EPL, they dont even watch mls, dont know anything on South American soccer which is another powerhouse with Brazil and Argentina out there.

The few Americans that cannot make it to EPL, La Liga, Il Calcio, or Bundesliga should be looking at Boca, River, Sao Paolo or Corinthians instead of going to crappy teams in Denmark.

Why not going to Mexican soccer? Clubs like America or Cruz Azul pay great and they go to Copa Libertadores every year to chanllenge South American big clubs.

the american kid that can afford it, should def go to camps with Milan, Madrid, Barca, ManU and real clubs around the world, also to south america to experience real soccer environment.

the american that cant afford traveling to europe, or south american should at least try to make it to DC United Games or even the Battery.

Most Americans just know how difficult is going to be making pro even in their own country, not to mention making it in other countries where soccer has much more tradition and is culturally a religion.

If I was 16, in high school and I knew I had some skill, I would be talking already to USL, PDL and even MLS assistant coaches already at the same time I talk to college coaches.

I should be already getting info on how to get a european agent if my dream is to go to try out to europe and I need somebody to fund my trip.

I dont think the best idea would be move to europe bc is not as easy as it sounds but yes, going out there to try out and finding out how the whole thing works would be great, sp if you parents have the money for you to do it.

Club of the century.
Brace
Brace
I think some of the issue has to deal with options. Kids here have tremendous options to play football, basketball, baseball, etc. I know England, Ireland, etc have other popular sports such as rugby and cricket, but soccer rules there. Even in Spain where basketball is gaining ground, soccer still reigns supreme. Here (especially in the south) football rules. Also, some kids here see they can make more money persuing a pro career in another sport.

I think Altidore may be on the Tim Howard track... go to Europe with one team but find the stride with another. The only problem is that GKers don't hit their peek until their late 20s to early 30s which is the age most field players (especially attacking players) tend to break down. I hope he can find it soon!!

The kids I coach now are more studious about the game than I ever was. They have more availability with FOX Soccer Channel, Gol TV, etc than i ever had... however, most still do not know about the smaller domestic leagues in Caribbean or South American countries. If I had known there were domestic leagues in places like Jamaica, T&T, Guatelmala, etc, I would have trained harder in college to open up those doors.

corner kick
corner kick
bc of college, and living in los angeles, being from El Salvador i know some people around.

If you know about kids interested in trying out in other countries let me know, I may not be the one sending you directly to their coaches but I can help you into the right direction.

My old coach in los angeles used to play for Municipal, one of the best teams in Guatemala.

About Mexico, Central America or even South America I know a few names.

The thing is this, they would ask "what kind of professional" experience the kid has.

Therefore you have to have played the most competitive soccer available in your state, throwing a few famous names in the soccer world could help for references.

Kids here already should be thinking on trying out for the Battery, Railkhawks or other pdl usl teams around.

Bc of the Culture, Uruguay or Argentina could be the best option for SC kids but big Mexican clubs pay really really good, you have to remember though that if the kid is not atleast 6 ft they have to be incredibily skilled or much more stronger than club players down south.

I was an small kid on my club where my senior team has been 14 times national champ, I was way faster than the average player though, marking big tall forwards was easy for me.

I think Costa Rica could be another great option bc of the culture, I think about 90% of Costa Ricans are white, and Im not saying SC kids are gone have a hard time in Ecuador or Jamaica but it could be a little easier.

Teams like Sapprisa, Alajuela, Comunicaciones, Motagua, Olimpia, and My old club Aguila play almost every year the Concacaf Champions League which is pretty good and they will be playing Mexican richest clubs and MLS teams too.

Last edited by Alma Merengue; 05/27/09 04:31 PM.

Club of the century.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard