Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
C
Shame on SCHSL for hosting a CHAMPIONSHIP event without having any EMS on standby, no stretcher, gator or cart by which to attend to a seriously injured player at the Eastside v. South Aiken game. Everyone was just appalled at the treatment that Sebastian Restrepo from Eastside received, who was seriously injured with 4 minutes left in OT on Saturday. There was NO EMS on site and the trainers on the field did not seem to know how to treat him. Finally, when there was not even a STRETCHER available, they basically dragged him off the field and when he couldn't walk they had 4 players carry him off!
SHAME ON YOU!
Interestly enough, after talking with Sebastian's parents that evening, I found out that the doctors at Baptist Hospital, where he was treated, actually walked out to the lobby and asked his parents how he was taken from the field because evidently he had gone unconscious for awhile and should not have been up and about....
The High School League needs to get it's act together and realize that Boy's Soccer is a rough sport and they need to have EMS on call at EVERY Championship game in the future.

S
goal
goal
S
So how is Sebastian today?

L
bench
bench
L
Do kids only get hurt in Championship games? What if it was just a regular season game?

T
goal kick
goal kick
T
Quote:

Do kids only get hurt in Championship games? What if it was just a regular season game?

I completely agree with the OP...I was appalled at how that player was handled. Anyone with even a minimal amount of medical training knows that injuries involving loss of consciousness require some immobilization before moving the patient. Given there were there were 4 games back to back all day and the amount of fans coming to see those games, SCHSL should have kept EMT personnel on hand all day. If that were my son who received that horrible treatment, this would not be last of they would hear from me....

-Attitude reflects leadership-
M
corner kick
corner kick
M
I too was horrified at the way this situation was handled. It could have been any number of emergencies with such a large crowd at hand.

Goal
Goal
Totally agree with everything stated. I was in the stands behind the Eastside bench and thought that the injured player had suffered a concussion. Someone said afterward that he had suffered muscle spasms from landing on his hip and that he did lose consciousness briefly. For the SCHSL not to have an EMT on hand is ludicrous. Do they staff an EMT at the football and basketball championships? Those sports are considered "contact sports", too. With the traffic and amount of people tailgating around Memorial Stadium Saturday getting an emergency ambulance in the facility would definitely have been tough. Should have alleviated that concern by having one in the stadium for rapid departure if needed.

Other than that I thought Memorial Stadium was excellent. A suggestion to the canteen (get more food in the future for the Class 4A game). Those of us who like to spend the afternoon watching the Championships do get hungry.

50th for a reason!
H
goal kick
goal kick
H
Also completely agree. It was inexcusable not to have some sort of EMS at the State Championship Games. That just cannot happen.

Goal Kick
Goal Kick
Yeah, why was there no ambulance already there? Ridiculous to make us wait that long for him to get what proved to be inadequate medical attention. Congrats to the boys from SA though on the title!!!

corner kick
corner kick
It looked to me like a back problem from the Eastside player?

It also worried me that after 10 minutes of laying on the ground 5 or so of them motionless, that afterward he had to walk off the field on his own. I kept looking and looking for the EMS to pull up but none showed up. We here at Scsoccer.com talk about how great of a showing this is for our state, to have the title game as hyped as it was. Small things like this just take away from it, it makes our state look bad and it makes our sport look unorganized.

Back on the positive side i hope the player is ok, he looked like he was in alot of pain walking off the field hunched over the whole time. OH AND PRAYING WORKS WONDER'S. SO PRAY!

Last edited by MidlandsKid; 05/26/09 05:25 PM.
B
corner kick
corner kick
B
I know in high school football is varies from district to district. If the district wants to pay ems to come sit and be there if something happens they can. Some (with money) opt to do this. I did attend one high school football game last year where a young man had a really bad broken leg and it must have taken ems over 20 minutes to finally get there. All the while the poor kid lay on the ground screaming in pain. Not sure how schsl playoffs pay for ems is done though.

Link Copied to Clipboard