Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
throw in
throw in
Quote:

So then how about the teams that have to travel to Columbia? You dont think any of the local midlands schools get an advantage by playing ALL the championships in columbia?

Im open to a change in the location. Columbia gets old seeing it year after year for the same event.

I don't really think that playing in Columbia gives any school an "home team" advantage. If you look at soccer only one team from the area even played in a championship game this year. However, their were lots of supporters for the other schools there because of relatively close proximatey of Columbia to everywhere. I know its a pain for schools in the low country or upstate to travel here and it would be a lot easier if it was close by, but realistically if it was held in Furman how many Acad. Magnet supporters are going to drive 4 hours to watch them play? I guarentee that the place would be packed full of Christ Church supporters but then you are creating a "home field" advantage for one team in a championship game which shouldn't happen. All one needs to do is look at what happened to football, they bowed to the demands to let them play the game upstate and attendance dropped drastically, if we are trying to increase public awareness of our sport wouldn't we want it in the most accessible/ highest profile place?

corner kick
corner kick
In my own opinion, it should be kept in columbia due to the dense population the midlands have compared to some of the upstate and lowerstate areas. More population gives you the ability to sell more tickets, with the gas prices the way they are now-a-days not alot of people want to travel far. Sorry if this doesnt make sense, when it went through my head it sounded like a brilliant statement.

S
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
S
I think a better idea would be to put the Upper/Lowerstate semis and finals on a neutral field. This way there is no arguing about the seeding. It would have been crazy if NW or Irmo had to play away simply because they were on the wrong side of the bracket. If you have 8 1 seeds (which is technically should be playing in the semis), those games should all be at neutral sites. Plus, there would be no home field advantage. You could spread out the semis and finals (Winthrop, Clemson, CoC, Furman, etc.) and then play the final in Columbia.

corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

I think a better idea would be to put the Upper/Lowerstate semis and finals on a neutral field. This way there is no arguing about the seeding. It would have been crazy if NW or Irmo had to play away simply because they were on the wrong side of the bracket. If you have 8 1 seeds (which is technically should be playing in the semis), those games should all be at neutral sites. Plus, there would be no home field advantage. You could spread out the semis and finals (Winthrop, Clemson, CoC, Furman, etc.) and then play the final in Columbia.

Yeah but having the upper-state and lower-state finals at neutral fields would cost SCHSL even more money i don't agree with having them at neutral fields. It would be very neat but in reality would cost way to much money.

S
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
S
Doesn't necessarily have to be a college. NW field, Manchester Meadows (would be reasonable), and other HS have great facilities. Let the state keep the ticket money and the schools keep the concessions. Not guaranteed to be neutral, but is definately more likely.

G
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
G
Soccer16 - beleive it or not wht Me and VOR suggested is the way it used to be. There was no Stone stadium until early 90's.

And yes it is about the players.

If anyone at the HSL was awake and reading this maybe they would defend their position. A bit like trying to understand NASCAR if you ask me.

S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Guardrail...Well at least we agree about the SCHSL. Football rules the HSL, soccer is just a mere afterthought!

I am well aware of the way it used to be. Just remember that change is good if it is done for the right reasons. In this case centrally locating the state championship does make it easier for teams, family and friends to travel. In addition, planning the event can have year to year coordination and consistency. Why not secure sponsors for multiple years. I am sure volunteers are much easier to come by knowing that you can count on a few people each year no matter what. If you rotate sites volunteers will be a question until they show up. Remember is would be every three years.

Do you really believe I am too young to remember before the early 90's?

This discussion really isn't about the venue but the location! It looks like football learned that the hardway.

W
goal kick
goal kick
W
i am all for columbia but not at memorial or any other football field. the state championship shoulf be played on a soccer field. yes the field was in good shape and held up well after 7 games, but it is too small and impairs play. i dont think the high school league is after soccer, but it is a shame that the games were not on a full size field. realistically there are not many soccer only stadiums that could accomadate the crowd saturday night. furman is not big enough and usc and clemson would have been busting at the seams. c of c is not big enuf and neither is winthrop. blackbaud may be able to handle 8000 but that is about it. while manchester is nice, it couldnt come close to handling 8000. hopefully usc will be up and running by next may.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
FYI Blackbaud capacity is 5000 and some change

Scott D. Ruggles
Stratford High School
bench
bench
Quote:

Doesn't necessarily have to be a college. NW field,

If you are talking about Northwesterns field im going to have to disagree. Northwesterns field was extremely poor in my opinion. The grass was uneven and there were dirt spots everwhere.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard