Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
Happened to share some ideas with a very unique soccer personality and somehow we got to the point about how charleston and possibly the rest of South Carolina soccer could actually culminate their resources to a grand intergrated pinnacle. At the end of the discussion,we arrived at a thought of a soccer pyramid with the battery at the top directly instituting a thorough soccer developmental system by establishing a reserve team and if applicable any other age groups where feasibly applicable and mainly scheming on uniform progression of players up the ranks.Where necessary and required,ranks might get skipped incase of VERY unique talent.
Some questions though would be;
1)How would this(if it can)affect prospective NCAA college soccer athletes.
2)What impact would such a setting have on increasing not only the battery's resource base but also chances of getting included in the MLS scene?
3)How would such a system be polished to make it practical enough to accomodate the diverse nature of the clubs we currently have?
4)How can this be constructively related to overall state and high school ball.
Any ideas anyone?

bench
bench
So you were thinking of having a "Club System" similar to what they have in Europe?

world cup
world cup
The Charlotte Eagles were involved with youth club soccer at one point. I'm not sure why, but they eventually chose to get out.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
F
throw in
throw in
F
The Charlotte Eagles got out because it was causing an "us against them mentality" with the other clubs in the Charlotte area. This interfered with not only expanding their fan base but with their overall mission. It was a shame because that was one super club (though they weren't doing a good job on the business side to make it sustainable) I think this could be a problem with this system as well- you either play for the Battery related club or you don't.

S
Goal
Goal
S
The league the Battery plays in actually promotes this structure. The USL (United Soccer Leagues) has leagues starting with youth (Super Y), older youth (Super 20), amateur men (PDL), amateur women (W-league) and 2 pro leagues (USL1 & USL2). A club could have teams in all leagues, thus, their own pyramid. Atlanta Silverbacks just dropped out of USL1 but I believe they fielded teams in almost all those leagues. The Richmond Kickers and I believe the Rochester Rhinos are close too. Here's a page from the USL website on all their leagues: http://www.uslsoccer.com/scripts/runisa.dll?M2:gp::72011+L2/+E+ABO

When the Super Y started several years ago, the Battery fielded one or 2 teams, (girls I believe) but after one year they dropped them. I asked Tony Bakker, the owner, why they dropped and he basically said the same thing as fristtouch, that he was afraid that ticket buying parents might not buy Battery tickets if their kid didn't make the Battery youth team. Sad state of affairs but I can't say he'd be wrong in thinking that....

Last edited by Soccer Watcher; 05/27/09 05:38 PM.
S
throw in
throw in
S
Why do many of the top low country players go all the way to Greenville to play for CESA? CESA has (for the most part) secured all of the top players in the upstate and surrounding area. They have done an excellent job of cornering the market – so to speak. Their talons have extended to the Charleston area as well; several low country players have been heavily and successfully recruited to play for CESA. Other than greener pastures, they are lured there as they (or their parents) feel that having 11 solid players who are committed is more appealing and worth the thousands of miles they will drive to play on that kind of team. CESA has attained a strong regional and even national presence. This is due – in part – to the unity that has been created through their merging St. Giles and GFC several years ago. The low country does not have this and it shows in many or most of our area teams. On most teams there are 5-7 serious players with the required aptitude and commitment to compete at the highest level. The remainder of the team is usually spotty at best. Coaches need to field a team and there you go – several medium to mediocre teams that cannot compete with the CESA or regional teams.

The issue of a Charleston areas wide soccer club is one that has been hashed many times before. What came of it several years ago was Bridge FA. The concept was not flawed - only the resulting lone leadership coupled with a continuously disheartened group of players and parents has been the biggest result of this experiment. Bridge has had successes, but not the kind that they had the potential to accomplish. Bridge was/is viewed by most as being exclusive and closed. The politics, egos and $$ are the forces which divide. The low country needs unity with an apolitical leadership that can be a proper leader for youth soccer in the area.

The Charleston Battery is a perfect way to make this a reality. There are so many aspects that are appealing. Most importantly it is a vehicle for unifying the area and developing players. The system could resemble that of European clubs or even American ones.

How does this appeal to the Battery – what’s in it for them? First, it serves to solidify its fan base. If the low country clubs would put aside their egos and unify under one flag the Battery could be all that is soccer in the area. Every kid in the Charleston/low country could be wearing a Battery uniform (to one degree or another) and will more closely support and follow our professional team. Second, it will enable the Battery to secure further and additional sponsorship through a wider and stronger fan base – it will give them a higher profile locally, regionally and even nationally. The owners have been very successful at getting a spotlight on the stadium and thus the team. (Think: US Woman National team v Canada, 6 Nations Rugby…) Having a Junior Academy dedicated to developing players would further add to the Battery’s marketability. Third, it has the potential to develop players for its own use – moving up through the ranks to become a Battery player. They could also be a marketing agent for players they develop. Fourth, the Battery is a leader in many areas. (Think: Green Stadium and the great example they set for their concerns on the environment. Yes, that was one of the owners’ Tesla on the concourse last Saturday night.) The Charleston Battery can and should be the leader in Charleston area wide youth soccer.

What is needed to help make this happen is a focus on the player. Each club considers its area and players a fiefdom. The egos that control (and derive a living from) these fiefdoms are not too interested in unifying as they fear this could place them lower in the pecking order or possibly out in the cold. Unity and leadership is what is needed.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
First..Very good posts..I wish the battery was involved more in youth soccer..Most of what you state is true.Many of the lowcountry players? How many? I counted seven at the most..It's a choice that players and parents have to make for themselves to travel..I count many,many more that choose to stay here with all the issues surrounding our clubs..This is not anti-CESA..Those that choose to go I am sure they find it rewarding..I just wanted to state that not that many make that trip..That could change..maybe..maybe not.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Too many clubs in such a small area and everyone thinks they know what is best for our players..The biggest problem..Every parent want this to happen in their backyard and will resist the idea of traveling across town..

throw in
OP Offline
throw in
Quote:

The league the Battery plays in actually promotes this structure. The USL (United Soccer Leagues) has leagues starting with youth (Super Y), older youth (Super 20), amateur men (PDL), amateur women (W-league) and 2 pro leagues (USL1 & USL2). A club could have teams in all leagues, thus, their own pyramid. Atlanta Silverbacks just dropped out of USL1 but I believe they fielded teams in almost all those leagues. The Richmond Kickers and I believe the Rochester Rhinos are close too. Here's a page from the USL website on all their leagues: http://www.uslsoccer.com/scripts/runisa.dll?M2:gp::72011+L2/+E+ABO

When the Super Y started several years ago, the Battery fielded one of 2 teams, (girls I believe) but after one year they dropped them. I asked Tony Bakker, the owner, why they dropped and he basically said the same thing as fristtouch, that he was afraid that ticket buying parents might not but Battery tickets if their kid didn't make the Battery youth team. Sad state of affairs but I can't say he'd be wrong in thinking that....

Great input,i also did notice the league battery plays in does support that format.Wonder if the battery got involved all the way to the bottom of the pyramid and not just stop at one or two youth teams.Players would be closely monitored and given an opportunity to aim for the main/first battery team that way every player within the team age groups trains hard knowing they have a shot at pro ball.Remember,the battery would be responsible for the administrative functions all through.I reckon,kids would be interested in watching the pro team play with alot more interest and parents/fans would possibly support the battery more resourcefully knowing that their funding is being visibly put to use right in their backyard.
The teams would be shipped out for games under the battery banner with funds specifically meant for such.Importance of this mainly for consistent and competative exposure to different teams countrywide.Of course this is hoping that the clubs around would be enlightened about the purpose of such a setting and actually all work towards strengthening the soccer base here.I guess the question then would be what if there is a surplus of quality players and the battery can't accomodate all?Well first it would be a goal met as we will have produced quality players capable of being directly being absorbed into college programs mainly due to the diverse nature of competative exposure and secondly it would then be the battery to market these players. Most importantly players would be playing for a goal that is clearly in sight rather than some hazy and very faint target.
Any other thoughts? Does anyone think it could be done a better way?

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Sounds good to me..I understand the battery's reluctance to do this as it might hurt ticket sales..I would still attend Battery games whether my child was apart of the program or not..Times change and I would hope attitudes would also..Maybe approached the right way..someone could sell the Battery something like this..I think most that would complain probably don't attend many games anyway..Maybe ticket sells would go up with this venture..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard