Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#123699 05/31/09 02:21 AM
C
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
C
With region camps coming up shortly..I am curious to know how everyone's experience with ODP boys and girls have been so far this year..

S
throw in
throw in
S
Don't get me started...

C
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
C
Boy or girl?

throw in
throw in
Excellent experience with 1994 Boys this year. Coach Sam and coach Neil are investing a lot of time and effort into this group of boys. They are motivating and demand excellence from every player. They have 11 or 12 practices schedule and are dedicated to bringing out the best in the boys.

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
The 94 Boys are having a great experience. The schedule has been in place since the beginning and the boys have practiced almost every weekend. It is probably some of the most demanding workouts my child has experienced. The coaches use every good and bad example as a learning/teaching opportunity.

S
throw in
throw in
S
ODP is a fantastic resource for the youth of SC who desire to play at the highest level in our state and have the abilities to do so. It is obviously not for everybody and that is a good thing. The teams that are formed consist (usually) of the best that South Carolina has to offer and the players should be very proud to make the team as a first team or alternate. The coaching (for the most part) is very good, i.e. college level coaches with qualified assistants. The fields that they practice and train on are largely superior to those that most clubs have access to – understanding that this is part of a college recruitment tool for the coaches as well. The environment that the players train in - and are exposed to - is unparalleled for our club players who do not participate in US Development Academy. Other than those few that make it to the next level (Region 3 team or national team) this will be the highest level team they will have the opportunity to play and/or practice on until varsity high school or college. This ODP stage often gives the player their first opportunity for exposure to college coaches – which for many will not be the last. They get the chance to get an inside glimpse at the high level regional, national and (again for the select few) the international arena. It is exciting and most often very rewarding.

South Carolina is usually held in fairly low regard when it comes to ODP teams in the region 3. We are the smallest state in the region and therefore have one of the lowest volumes of players to draw from. The simple math does not work in our favour. This is not so say we have not produced some very talented players who have made it to the regional and the very few to the national team for their age level. They have brought recognition not only to themselves, but to our state ODP program as well.

Unfortunately, SC ODP still trails most states in the union. We do not have a well organized or committed staff (probably understaffed). The administrators appear to focus very hard on enforcing stringent and out-of-date and out-of-touch rules while not spending proper focus on the well being of the player. They kill a lot of trees warning of consequences of ones actions, while they use the state tryout and sub-regional tryouts as a fund raiser for the state association. As many as four persons are packed into a hotel room during the sub regional’s where they are expected to get proper rest and preparation for what is (for many) a stressful time. IU have heard that one player often has to sleep in a chair in a four person room. They are sequestered and not allowed any contact with the outside world. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but it is a rule etched in stone – with no real value or valid rational. Other states allow their players to stay in a hotel room with a parent away from the restrictive setting that the State dictates for our players. They are actually allowed to go to dinner and relax with family which can only improve the chances or not violating any conduct codes, but more than likely reduce stress and improve the likelihood that they will actually get the proper rest they require. Somehow these players from those states seem to be just fine. Could it be that our players pay $250 each to share a room with 3 other people and the state continues to pad its bank account?? Hmm...

The SCYSA stresses that the ODP players attend no less than 80% of the practices or they will/may become ineligible for the state ODP team and region 3 camp. I appreciate that the players need to practice and train for region camp – that is very important. But there is no coordination with the state schedule that the very same office (SCYSA) puts out for state league play or even state cup. The conflicts in the spring are many. So the player, parents and coaches are put in a position of having to decide whether their club team’s chances at State Cup are more important than ODP – and visa versa. The state ODP administrator claims she has no influence over the practice schedule. Welllll, maybe there should be! It may require some actual work on the part of the state and therein may lay the problem…

In our family’s particular situation all ODP practices are held in one geographic location of our state. This geographic location happens to NOT be in the middle of the state – it is off to one corner. For many families it is a 10-12 hour day to drive a player to a 2 hour practice. Some of these practices start late in the day – 4:00, which means the player gets home no earlier than 10:00 PM on a Sunday night, while other players are a twenty minute drive from the field. It is seems only equitable that it either be moved to a centrally located site in the state or that it alternate sites around the state. While this has been brought to the attention of the ODP administrator – nothing has been done

Again, (trying not to lose too much focus here) the experience of ODP is a great one for the player and is important in the player’s development. Most of them come away much better and more mature players who get a glimpse into what their future in soccer may be. It is rewarding yet we still have a very long way to go in our state.

Last edited by PFB United; 06/01/09 03:41 AM.
C
goal
goal
C

Fact is, the State Association makes zero money on the ODP program. The ODP program is actually ran out of it's own account code and that money is used entirely for the players. Mary tries her best to make sure that what money is generated by the tryouts and the sub-regionals is used to benefit the players during that year so that she has a zero account balance by the end of the ODP year. I don't remember the exact numbers but I do know that the regional camp is very expensive and causes Mary a lot of sleepless nights each year, because that cost is dictated by the national program and she is trying to keep the costs down for the parents for that event. I also know that up until Mary taking it over the ODP program was in shambles and the State Association was losing money left and right on it. So don't be too hard on her.

I understand your frustration with the practices, being my daughter did it every year she was eligible. But I do know Mary tried to dictate to the college coaches the schedule, I think they did it my daughters first year, and most of the college coaches quit because they wanted to have the say in the practices. So you have to make a choice, either have college coaches for the program and let them have control over the practices or pay club coaches and dictate to them the practices.

And Boy do I understand the location problem! Lucky for me I live in the middle of the state so the drives where not bad but I felt really bad for the Greenville parents because we had a Charleston coach that only practiced at his fields. But this runs into the problem again of using College Coaches for ODP. Some will ask for fields and the State Association will help to provide them or they won't because it is work or they are to shy to ask for help. The other problem is that all the fields in Columbia are ran by the clubs, not a bad thing, and it is not always easy to get the same clubs to give up their fields for ODP every weekend when they have games, rec and club, and practices going on the fields at the same time. I know the State Association wants to one day purchase some land for fields in Columbia so that they have complete control over their use, but we are probably a few more years off from that dream.

But I agree with you that it was a GREAT experience for my daughter and everyone should try and do it. HS and Club coaches need to be understanding of the schedule and help their players in it. Is it perfect, no, but little in life is.

Here I go again!
bench
bench
Is it me or has anyone noticed that there seems to be the same people running things year after year after year? It's quite an incestuous little relationship, but that's just my opinion.

I don;t think that there should be open tryouts for an ODP Team. In every country where soccer matters, the best players usually invitied to come try out, not an open casting call. Your not getting the best player, my opinion again, so much as you are getting the best of the kids who can afford to try out and play if they make it.

corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

Is it me or has anyone noticed that there seems to be the same people running things year after year after year? It's quite an incestuous little relationship, but that's just my opinion.

I don;t think that there should be open tryouts for an ODP Team. In every country where soccer matters, the best players usually invitied to come try out, not an open casting call. Your not getting the best player, my opinion again, so much as you are getting the best of the kids who can afford to try out and play if they make it.

I'm sure that everyone has noticed that it is the same people doing the same thing over and over again, not only with ODP but all of SCYSA and most clubs for that matter.
Is it frusterating? YES!!!
But the fact of the matter is you keep seeing the same poeple doing the same thing year after year because they are willing to put the time and effort into doing it! If you want to see some change then you need to set up to the plate and put forth the effort to make change happen wether it is with ODP, SCYSA, or your club.

Most clubs have already had their elections for this year but I think SCYSA's elections are in the near future, August, maybe? I would love to see a list of what positions are up for election.

But the question is Knowing that the SCYSA elections are just around the corner. Will anyone step up and run for one of the open positions? PROBABLY NOT!

and there you go...the same people doing the same ole thing.

But you know what...At least they are doing it!

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
M
corner kick
corner kick
M
In most clubs the same people volunteer for the benefit of their children. I haven't seen many clubs that this isn't true. I am sure everyone thinks their club is the exception but I am not a believer.

I don't think many involved in ODP have children involved in soccer so the comment doesn't apply. It is a big job and who is willing and capable to organize such large tasks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard