Print Thread
Page 22 of 28 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 27 28
E
bench
bench
E
Quote:

Quote:

Note: Should Farragut defeat Wando, Farragut will be the tournament champions. Wando will then play in the 6:45 pm match to determine second place.

While I understand and appreciate the desire to return for a school function, it seems a bit presumptive that the other Semi-Final winner may not have a chance of winning the tournament. Sound like a BCS spillover!

Agreed, that is an extremely dumb policy. It's not like Farragut didn't know of the scheduling conflict beforehand. Might as well just cancel the championship and have that be the 1st place game if that is the case.

goal kick
goal kick
This has been a quality tournament other than a few minor details that weren't noticed by the organizers. It is completely unfair. By the FM-BE game, they will know if their game means anything. There is no way Farragut can be crowned champions if they dont play in a champiionship game.

By failing to prepare, you prepare to fail.
E
bench
bench
E
Quote:

This has been a quality tournament other than a few minor details that weren't noticed by the organizers. It is completely unfair. By the FM-BE game, they will know if their game means anything. There is no way Farragut can be crowned champions if they dont play in a champiionship game.

There is no way this can be billed as the "Southeast's Premier High School Boys Soccer Tournament" without a championship game lol, loses a lot of credibility

M
throw in
throw in
M
From the tournament rules:
"*** Should Farragut-TN reach the Semifinals, then the Admirals' opponent in the Semifinals will play in the Championship because FHS has to return to Knoxville for their school prom that night. Farragut, should they qualify for the Semifinals,will automatically play in the 8:30 a.m., Saturday contest and the other Semifinal match will play at 10:30 a.m."

THEREFORE

Even if Farragut defeats Wando, Wando advances and plays in a championship game against the winner of BE-Ft. Mill. Wando is NOT automatic champ and BE or Ft. Mill second. The championship game determines the winner.

GO BE!

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Friday, April 9 Results
Chapin 1-1 Walhalla
Norman North-OK 4-1 Pinewood Prep
Wando 4-1 Fort Mill
Farragut-TN 3-1 Northwestern
Bishop England 1-0 Brookland-Cayce
Christ Church 1-0 Cardinal Newman

Group A Winner - Bishop England (2-0-1), 22 points
Group B Winner - Wando (3-0-0), 29 points
Group C Winner - Farragut (3-0-0), 25 points
Wild Card - Fort Mill (2-1-0), 21 points

Semifinals
8:30 am - #1 Wando vs. #2 Farragut
10 am - #3 Bishop England vs. #4 Fort Mill

*** Should Farragut defeat Wando in the Semifinals, then the Admirals will be declared 2010 Palmetto Cup Champions. Wando will play in the 6:30 p.m., match regardless of winning or losing in the Semifinals and will either play for the title or second place. This was agreed on by Wando and Farragut since they achieved the highest point totals. Farragut has to return to Knoxville, Tenn., mid-morning because the FHS Senior Prom is Saturday night.

Placement Matches (team listed first is home team and will wear light jersey)
12:30 pm, 11th Place - Chapin (0-2-1, 2 PTS) vs. Pinewood Prep (0-3-0, 1 PT)
2 pm, 9th Place - Walhalla (0-2-1, 4 PTS) vs. Cardinal Newman (0-3-0, 3 PTS)
3:30 pm, 7th Place - Brookland-Cayce (1-1-1, 12 PTS) vs. Norman North-OK (1-2-0, 9 PTS)
5 pm, 5th Place - Northwestern (2-1-0, 20 PTS) vs. Christ Church (1-0-2, 17 PTS)

All matches will be played at The Cage on the campus of BCHS, weather permitting. All matches in group play during the tournament will be SCHSL regulation length (80 minutes). However, only Semifinals and Championship matches on Saturday will observe the 80 minute regulation time plus two five-minute overtime periods and penalty kicks if necessary. The Saturday 5th-11th Place matches will consist of two 30-minute halves and no overtime periods.

I
kick off
kick off
I
My question is, was this decided before the tournament began? If so, then the other teams knew what they were up against. Farragut would essentially be punished for going 4-0, and beating 3 top 15 teams, yet they would get 3rd? When no other team in the tournament would have accomplished anything like that.

E
bench
bench
E
Quote:

My question is, was this decided before the tournament began? If so, then the other teams knew what they were up against. Farragut would essentially be punished for going 4-0, and beating 3 top 15 teams, yet they would get 3rd? When no other team in the tournament would have accomplished anything like that.

Based off of the previous two posts, no.

"This was agreed on by Wando and Farragut since they achieved the highest point totals. Farragut has to return to Knoxville, Tenn., mid-morning because the FHS Senior Prom is Saturday night."

Agree that no other team would have accomplished the same thing, but this is a tournament, not a round robin. The best team in a tournament is not always the winner. You won't find another tournament in the country that bills itself as being one of the best that changes rules during the competition and doesn't have a championship game.

goal kick
goal kick
Was it discussed with the coaches from FM and BE? If not thn they are being cheated by this system.

By failing to prepare, you prepare to fail.
M
throw in
throw in
M
This is a change in the rules that were posted in your tournament program! Farragut came into the tournament knowing they would forfeit if they reached the semis. That is what is stated in your rules. Now, you state that if they beat Wando they will be champions because those two teams agreed! You shut out the #2 & #3 teams of having any chance of winning! In addition, they have no say in the matter! That's not what was represented in your rules.

I
kick off
kick off
I
Quote:

"Farragut has to return to Knoxville, Tenn., mid-morning because the FHS Senior Prom is Saturday night."

I gathered that much.... Seeing as how it has been mention several times.... I get that there needs to be a championship game. I was just wondering if this was a possible exception to the rules before the tournament even began. I know it was never mention on these boards, but that doesn't really mean anything. I don't think it would be very fair for a team to lose their semi-final game, yet still win the championship, simply because the team that defeated them had to leave early. Would Farragut still get 3rd? That just doesn't seem right. In my opinion there isn't really a win win situation to come out of this, unless Farragut loses the semi-final game. If Farragut wins and gets the championship, the tournament get's the shaft. If Farragut wins and they don't get the championship, it could be seen that they get the shaft. Overall a lose lose imo.

Last edited by ihavenofriendzz; 04/10/10 02:43 AM.
Page 22 of 28 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 27 28

Link Copied to Clipboard