Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
world cup
world cup
Why are some folks out there shifting the blame on high school JV soccer?

If your daughter is U-15 (93's) she is most likely, at least, a freshman in high school. If she is a competitive club player (playing on a state championship club team that is representing SC in the Region III Presidents Cup), shouldn't she be on her high school varsity team? With teams like Wando, West Ashley, Bishop England, etc. down in the Low Country, how does this hurt her preparation for playing in this R3 event in June?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
K
Throw In
Throw In
K
From the U13girls side I dont think any of the teams were way out of our league at all the games were one or 2 goal differences and with the exception of the tennesee team we played in game 3 the other games were due to some serious misfortune it was a good experience for everyone and the girls will just have to build on it for next time.

With regards to the overall performance of the sc teams definately raises the question of what can we do differently It may very well be that we need to create regional state wide training/preparation programs for all teams travelling to a regional tournament about 6 weeks prior to the tournament assisting the teams with getting in enough games among other things and maybe this kind of effort could help us get a step closer to better results through a joint state/club effort by all just some food for thought.

Personally I dont think that school ball hinders the teams getting ready for the tournament.

we run things, things nuh run we.....
L
bench
bench
L
i understand if the player is starting for their varsity team its the players who i think get nothing out of jv soccer or sittin on varsity when they could be competing for state and regional titles with their club team. its all about development at this age and playing against poor teams or sitting on the bench doesnt get you that.

L
bench
bench
L
even though sc teams didnt do as well as we expect we should still be proud of them. its a great experience for them and it shows them first hand what they need to work on. congrats to all teams who competed this weekend!

W
goal kick
goal kick
W
Quote:

If your daughter is U-15 (93's) she is most likely, at least, a freshman in high school. If she is a competitive club player (playing on a state championship club team that is representing SC in the Region III Presidents Cup), shouldn't she be on her high school varsity team? With teams like Wando, West Ashley, Bishop England, etc. down in the Low Country, how does this hurt her preparation for playing in this R3 event in June?

MPSC 91 Maroon is a very good classic level team. None of those girls played varsity at Wando. Maybe 1 or 2 play varsity for BE.

world cup
world cup

Thank you WormBurner.

Mount Pleasant 91 Maroon is a very good classic level team. The Presidents Cup is a second-tier tournament. Doesn't mean the teams that we are sending into the tournament are bad teams, it just shows that the DEPTH of South Carolina club soccer isn't on par with the other states in the region.

Why? Perhaps because we have a smaller population. We don't have the numbers. Their second-tier teams are stronger than our second-tier teams. They have more to choose from.

Again, MPSC 91 Maroon is a very good classic level team, just like RC Cola is a very good soft drink. Just because RC will never catch Coke doesn't mean RC isn't a refreshing beverage (and some prefer it over Coke & Pepsi).

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
C
bench
bench
C
I think it could be argued that while the President's Cup is a second-tier tournament, the teams competing are actually third-tier or even lower. Without going through the whole scysa website, I noticed that at the u13B level, CESA had 3 of the 8 teams playing in the spring challenge cup (95 Premier and Challenge,96 Premier). I could be wrong but from this it would seem to me that there are 2 other teams in it's true age group and a younger team from the same club that are better than the CESA u13B Classic team (which I am guessing was competing for a spot at the President's Cup). Are the other clubs this way?

B
goal kick
goal kick
B
Quote:

Hurst - The 91 MPSC team took 15 players with them to Region III. 3 played varsity at BE; 2 played varsity at West Ashley; 1 played varsity at Academic Magnet; 1 played varsity at Pinewood Prep; and 8 attended Wando, but did not play high school soccer. Most of these Wando players were part of the JV team 2 seasons ago that went undefeated, but as juniors did not play because the varsity team is full of challenge and premier level players (several 9th & 10th graders).

This team was very competitive in all their matches. They lost 1-0 to a good S.Texas team in a match that was very evenly played. The game was 0-0 with 10 minutes left in the game. They lost 2-0 to Oklahoma. The game was 1-0 until the last 3 minutes. They won there final game 1-0 over Florida in a game that MPSC 91 outplayed their opponent. The team easily could have been 2-1.

Considering half the team had not played a competitive match in over 5 months, this team represented themselves and the state quite well.

Our club and high school seasons are what they are and I do not see them changing. However, it is an advantage to come to Regionals straight from the State Cups as opposed to reassembling a team after 6 months of not playing together.

world cup
world cup
beachfan,

Thanks for the roster breakdown on the MPSC 91 Girls.

Having played that Wando JV girls team in the Irmo Tournament two (or three) seasons ago, I remember them very well. Even though they are no longer playing for Wando, I think it is tremendous that these girls have decided to stay together and continue to play competitive club soccer. Congratulations on the results and I hope the girls all had a great time.

B
goal kick
goal kick
B
Quote:

beachfan,

Thanks for the roster breakdown on the MPSC 91 Girls.

Having played that Wando JV girls team in the Irmo Tournament two (or three) seasons ago, I remember them very well. Even though they are no longer playing for Wando, I think it is tremendous that these girls have decided to stay together and continue to play competitive club soccer. Congratulations on the results and I hope the girls all had a great time.

It was a great weekend and the girls had a blast. It was an experience that they walked away from feeling great about and one they will remember for a long time.

Also, I must give a plug to CESA for a first class run event. They did the state proud. The amount of work and the number of volunteers that it took to run this event was amazing. The expanded MESA complex is very nice and I overheard parents and coaches from other states remark that they were blown away with how nice it was.

Finally, I want to give high marks to the folks from SCYSA that were present at the games. They get a lot of flack on this board, but were visible and supportive during the weekend. After the final game Steve Ballentine walked over to the bench to congratulate the team on the victory and took a team picture. It meant a lot to the girls and coach (this parent as well).

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard