Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
brace
brace
M
No disagreement from me. What you have happening is SC players stepping up their commitment while a shifting of the talent pool to and from USSF across the country is going on. Based on what I've seen of our more successful SC teams I'd say you'd have pretty competitive matches vs Texas and/or FL USYS or USSF teams for now.

Imagine. Believe. Achieve.
S
throw in
throw in
S
Quote:

Andrew Davis is listed on CESA roster for th 94s.

I understand that Andrew Davis and Brock King have both decided to play for CESA 94 Premier - even though their MPSC team is now playing R3PL. They will do well where ever they play.

S
throw in
throw in
S
Quote:

Quote:

95 played Arkansas this morning: 5-0 win
SC ODP 95 Boys hold overs:
Andrew Eskinazi (MPSC), Erik Clark (CESA), Andrew Davis (MPSC/CESA), Tanner Eggers (CESA), Christian Calloway (CESA), Joseph Wichmann (MPSC).

This has been one of the very best years for SC with many players in pool play each night and 6 players held over. This team was placed in top flight for play in Tuscaloosa which is either a first or very unusual. They clearly proved SC has players to consider for the regional team.
Way to go SC 95 boys!!

Pretty impressive that the 95's had both keepers chosen (Eggers and Wichman).

Impressive indeed. Tanner Eggers was selected as US National Team (U-14) keeper last year and will most likely continue his play at that level. He is the full package. His playing on the national team level leaves the door open to consider the next best keeper in the region. There also had been rumors that Tanner would skip up to the 17s, but that has only been done by a few players - and again, it is just a rumor.

Joseph Wichmann (I understand) allowed fewer goals at camp in state games and 3 pool games. He has shown great technical abilities and improved leadership in his role with club and ODP.

I think it goes back to what MANCHESTER said about the players understanding that they have to play at their best everytime they step on the pitch - and then play even better the next time, and the next time...

It will be interesting to see how the hold over camp goes.

M
brace
brace
M
Great work by both keepers. Which club does Wichman play for?

M
brace
brace
M
Quote:

I agree we are making progress in SC. You need look no further than the results from the Cesa 92's and Discoveries 91 in Dallas several weeks ago. I guess what is making me scratch my head a little with some of these odp results with Texas and Florida is that if you go back to some SCSOCCER odp threads from maybe 2 years ago all the discussion was how we can compete with most states except Texas and Florida. The reason people gave most often was because of the population disparity. I guess I find it hard to believe we got that much better in 2 short years without some explanation like these 2 states maybe having gone heavy towards Academy.

Bebe Le Strange,

Here's a bit of validation of my point regarding parity between the talent in USYS and USSF. As you probably know, the Clash of the Carolinas is a match held between the top senior high school players from SC and NC. It's probably fair to assume 95% of these players are also USYS or USSF players.

During their match on Sat. the two sides finished in a 0-0 draw. To me, that's another example of high level competition where there is a fairly even talent pool drawn from USYS and USSF . . . as of this year.

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2009/jul/12/local_players_close_out_prep_careers89011/

R
kick off
kick off
R
No doubt about it that the Academy League holds more of the best players all over the country.. ODP is going down.. but is still a good thing to do if your club ball team is not in the Academy. Some states aren't even sending a team down to Regional's because lack of participation to the ODP program because so many players have turned to the Academy as the number one development. ODP this year for the boys is probably not near as strong as last year and the years before because of Academy. Good luck to the remaining participants in ODP and keep making a name for SC in a good manor.

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
It looks like the academy will become more appealing to players as the route to take in advancing their soccer. What is the USYS doing to counter this? Can ODP continue to exist? Or will it become a secondary avenue for players?

R
kick off
kick off
R
That what i was wondering? will ODP still exists? I dont think USYS can counter the Academy..

B
corner kick
corner kick
B
Manchester,

I'm certainly not disagreeing there is parity between USYS and USSF right now. Nor am I disagreeing South Carolina seemingly has made strides in leveling the playing field between ourselves and other states in Region III. I guess what I am saying is that two short years ago we were on this very board complaining as to what we could do to compete with the Texas's and Florida's of our region. To put it bluntly we hung on for dear life every time we faced them. Seemingly, something has happened in those states to make us more competitive in odp. In checking the upcoming USSF Academy schedules for the 2009 - 2010 season I find that Texas has their very own division - they will have 9 teams to our 1 in both the U16 and U 18 age brackets. That tells me that state has gone heavy to the Academy. Therefore, even though the argument can be made they are a much more populated state and still have a huge pool to choose from for odp - they also seem to have really bought into the Academy more than we have at this point in time. I'm sure this has had an effect on their odp program thus allowing us to win games vs. them. Something that has rarely happened in the past. So what I guess I'm really saying is let's don't simply look at these odp region wins and think we are there yet. We are getting there so let's enjoy the odp success while at the same time being realistic as to what may be going on. Apparently with only one Academy club in our state currently we haven't diluted our odp pool quite as bad as Texas right now. I still feel odp will have a purpose but it no longer is the only avenue to furthering ones development with the ultimate goal being - making the national team.

Below is a link to the Academy schedules for the 2009 - 2010 year.

2009-2010 Academy Teams & Schedules

M
brace
brace
M
I'd say we're pretty much in agreement on the issue. I would suspect a close look at the lower level teams within the academy would result in sub-par evaluations of most players as the top players are either on top academy teams or top USYS teams. For example, there's no way all 9 Texas divisions would all defeat our top ODP or PL teams and I know you're not saying they would.

In fact, in the academy it's kind of hard to determine what the best team is because of the required playing time in the program. Teams that could have won in their playoffs in Greensboro may not have because the best players may have not been on the field because of playing time requirements. No problem with that, it's just a different philosophy regarding player development which impacts the true 'winning ability' of a team.

I think we can agree there is excellent talent at the top levels of both programs and within the ranks of all levels of the academy where playing time is mandated.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard