Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Coach C Offline OP
Throw In
OP Offline
Throw In
C
Why do we play HS soccer in the spring in the southeast? College and most other areas of the country play soccer in the fall. It has a great number of benefits to play in the fall.
Is it due to lack of a field as football is KING in the south and there is no other field to play on for most schools?

C
Coach
Coach
C
The short answer would seem to be yes.

I've got good news and bad news...
M
bench
bench
M
Some small private schools play in the fall, like Glenforest, Aiken Prep, Low Country Day School, Aiken Christian Academy and others.

It's all a moo point... yeah like a cow's opinion, it just doesn't matter. It's Moo
Goal
Goal
That is an awful, awful avatar.

M
bench
bench
M
Jitterbug...they look like their about to have a gasoline fight.

It's all a moo point... yeah like a cow's opinion, it just doesn't matter. It's Moo
S
throw in
throw in
S
because the morons that run the SCHSL are a bunch of good ole boys from yuk yukville that have no more brains than a tin pan. The good ole boy mentality is "football" mmmm what other sports are there ??? sooner or later these OLD bats will go away and the other sports will get thier just due. Piss on southern high school football

Last edited by SCCRMOM; 07/17/09 12:28 AM.
Goal
Goal
OK SCCRMOM, tell us what you really think!

I’ve always preferred “dumber than a bag of hammers” myself

This same football centric mentality got our AD fired last year. He was a great AD and supported all the sports. And all the sports were excelling, except football had a bad year, and he was gone! Even though during his tenure the Football team had its highest winning percentage of any other coach.
Go figure.
I use to go to every football game (home and away)…but now, I just stick to soccer.

“It’s the most wonderful time of the year”
World Cup
World Cup
I remember prep soccer in South Carolina being played from November through February. Simply put, it was brutal - weather and time - especially with the long layoffs between semesters for Christmas break. Prep soccer in the Palmetto State began playing in the spring during the 1986 season.

Listed below is a breakdown of the national scale of what states play boys soccer each season of the school year:

BOYS FALL SOCCER (35 States)
Region I = CT-MA-ME-NH-RI-VT
Region II = NY
Region III = NJ-PA
Region IV = DC-DE-FL-GA-MD-NC-VA-WV
Region V = KY-IN-OH
Region VI = MI-MN-WI
Region VII = KS-IL-MO-MT-ND-SD
Region VIII = CA-CO-ID-NV-NM-OR

BOYS WINTER SOCCER (7 States)
Region I = FL
Region II = LA-MS
Region III = TX
Region IV = AZ-CA-HA

BOYS SPRING SOCCER (14 States)
Region I = SC-TN-VA
Region II = AL-GA
Region III = IA-NE-UT-WY
Region IV = AR-OK
Region V = AK-CA-WA

Personally, what I would like to see is a split of the prep soccer schedule. I think it would be great to have either the girls or boys play in the fall and the other in the spring. Since high school football is so important in regards to finances in this state, I think a logical move would be to have the girls prep season played in the fall.

One thing the S.C. High School League is going to have to get a grip on is the overloading of spring sports. For instance, with the relative newcomer sports such as lacrosse and rugby on the high school scene and the limited field availability for athletic teams already, then it would make sense to me to make these two ventures a winter seasoned sport.

Goal
Goal
They can play the same season as football...they just have to share the field.

The garbage that is espoused about tearing up a field when soccer is played on it is amazing. If you have ever played both sports, you know that when someone is tackled and their face mask is dug into the field and they come up with clumps in it, those type actions tear the field up worse than soccer. It really is a cheap ploy for the GOBFS.

Goal
Goal
Ah! Mr. Stats strike again.

As we engineers say....Numbers are our friends.

“It’s the most wonderful time of the year”
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard