Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#127345 12/09/09 02:04 PM
Coach P Offline OP
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
According to SoccerAmerica.com, Everton manager David Moyes is considering a loan deal for Landon Donovan to help the injury plagued Toffees stay above the relegation zone in the EPL.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
How does this work? Everton will pay Galaxy X dollars to "rent" Donovan? They'll also pay him salary above and beyond what he made at Galaxy?

Any ideas how much and how it compares to Beckham and AC Milan?

I hear the huge sums on player sales.....not sure how much money is at stake for loans.

M
goal kick
goal kick
M
No, they won't pay Galaxy any money to loan him. They're just pay his salary that he earns per week instead of the Galaxy paying him. That's how loans work in Europe unless there is a loan fee at he beginning of the loan but that's unlikely because the Galaxy are in the offseason right now and if anything it's benefiting him to be playing at Everton during the time that the Galaxy isn't playing.

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
Hope he brings his thermal underwear!!

WhoDaresWins
W
goal
goal
W
I hope they play Blackpool because if they dont its a waste of time.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
I think I read that Donovan was making $900k from Galaxy. I assume he gets paid that amount during the MLS season. Is he playing for free in England? Why would he take the injury risk without additional compensation?

Love of the game is one thing....maintaining form for World Cup is a second point. But this is a business and he's not a young guy anymore. Why risk getting hurt without some significant financial incentive?

Coach P Offline OP
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
I've also read concerns on other message boards that some English players might be more than happy to take Donovan out before June 12. Of course I guess you could have that same concern about Howard, Dempsey, Spector, Altidore, etc.

goal kick
goal kick
No players in the EPL would have that little class.

Coach P Offline OP
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
From evertonfc.com:

Donovan Talks Confirmed
by Paul Dargan | Thursday 10 December 2009, 07:52

Everton are hopeful of agreeing a deal to sign United States star Landon Donovan on loan.

Blues officials have been discussing the possibility of bringing the player to Merseyside on a short-term deal, beginning in January.

Everton chief executive Robert Elstone said: "Landon is a player David Moyes has identified as someone he would like to bring to the Club. We are working to make that happen and hope we can reach agreement soon with all the appropriate parties”.

If negotiations are successfully completed, the forward would join the Blues on January 2.

Still only 27, Donovan is his country's leading international goal-scorer and is also their most capped player with 120 appearances.

He can operate in a withdrawn striker's role, on the wing or as a more conventional attacking midfielder.

Along with David Beckham, he fired LA Galaxy to last month's final of the MLS Cup - the trophy contested by the top-placed league teams in the American competition.

Regarded as his nation's best ever player, Donovan won the MLS Most Valuable player and the Goal of the Year awards for the 2009 campaign, which concluded last month.

Donovan has previously played in Europe for Bayern Munich and Bayer Leverkusen and would remain at Goodison Park until mid-March, joining fellow USA international Tim Howard.

M
goal kick
goal kick
M
Big Daddy

He has a lot of benefits for playing for Everton rather than sitting at home twiddling his thumbs. He most likely gets paid per month even out of the season rather than receiving all 900k during the short MLS season. So Everton would be paying him still. He would be playing at a higher level and better prepare himself for the World Cup, and any future moves to Europe. Also, although there could be many arguments to this, the idea of getting hurt while playing is pretty futile. Think about all the people who have NOT been hurt while playing, and the fact that he could get into a car accident or any other random injury just going about his every day life. Every day is a risk.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard