OP Offline
throw in

hat-trick
hat-trick
Mattern steps to Atlanta

Ex-USC star will enter pro career as third-round pick of Beat franchise

By NEIL WHITE
nwhite@thestate.com

Blakely Mattern’s professional soccer career will start not too far from where her storied collegiate career ended.
USC’s All-America senior defender was selected Friday by the Atlanta Beat with the first pick of the third round — and 21st pick overall — of the Women’s Professional Soccer league draft in Philadelphia.
Mattern preferred to stay close to home with the expansion Atlanta franchise, the only one based in the South in the nine-team league.
“I’m just on Cloud 9 right now. It’s literally a dream come true,” said Mattern, a Simpsonville native. “It couldn’t have worked out any better. I was hoping for Atlanta all along just because I’m familiar with their coach (Gareth O’Sullivan) and the area, and all the support of my family and friends that can easily get there to watch down in Atlanta.
“That was the ideal situation, and I couldn’t be happier that that’s where I’ll be going.”
The 5-foot-9 Mattern, who finished her career with 16 goals and 38 points while spearheading the team’s defense for four All-SEC seasons at center back, worked out for the Beat in a December pre-draft camp.
The team had 14 signed players entering the draft and needed an anchor on defense, according to soccer analysts. They chose UNC midfielder Tobin Heath with the first overall pick in the draft.
WPS teams will play their second season from April to September, a 20-game schedule plus the playoffs. The Beat will play its games in a new 8,300-seat stadium in Kennesaw, Ga.
Each team carries 18 players on the regular roster with four developmental players. Five of those roster slots can be used for international stars while each team also gets three U.S. national team players. The league has an average salary of $32,000 for players.
Clemson midfielder Lindsay Browne was drafted by the Los Angeles Sol with the final pick of the fifth round.
USC coach Shelley Smith, who attended the draft with Mattern as part of the national soccer coaches convention, watched her star lead the Gamecocks to their first SEC tournament title, two NCAA tournament victories, and a 19-4-2 record last season.
She is pleased to see her get the opportunity to move on to the professional ranks.
“I’m so excited to have Blakely be a part of the draft,” Smith said. “I think she had her dream come true first of all in making the draft but also in being able to stay in Atlanta close to home, friends and family. It could not have been a better day for her.
“I’m also proud to have her name up on the board, and with the way she’s represented our program, we’re all very proud to have South Carolina by her name.”
A total of 65 players were chosen in the draft.

The State, 1/16/2010

hat-trick
hat-trick
Congratulations Blakely! You're in my top 5 players ever I've ever had the pleasure to ref!

The Infamous
benp #128340 04/04/10 08:45 PM
Goal
Goal
Blakely is not the only player playing in WPS this year with S.C. ties. Angela Salem of Francis Marion was picked up as a free agent with the defending champion Sky Blue FC in New Jersey.

Angela Salem - Sky Blue FC

Victory Starts Here!

Link Copied to Clipboard