Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#130788 03/10/10 09:55 PM
M
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
M
Why is it getting to the point now that Club Premier Coaches fill the need to Schedule Tournament Games during the Spring here in SC Fall is for Club and Spring is for High School.. You can D A M N well bet if a High School coach could and scheduled a Fall Match or matches the Club coaches would filp out. I see where some upstate High School Players are scheduled to play in a Tournament in Richmond thius coming weekend and their High Schools have games scheduled as well.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Its one step in the move towards year around soccer. Many college coaches will tell you that HS soccer hurts the game of the highly competitive player. Whether ODP college coaches or Academy college coaches, I've heard it numerous times. The Irmo coach or Northwestern coach may not have to deal with it.....but most do. Speed of play and speed of decision making usually drop, as well as fitness levels.

A coach expected and expecting to take a state champion team to regionals and do well......has to do enough to keep his team at or near that level. Most accomplish that by getting together two weekends a month....one to train and one to play.

It does stink that it interferes with HS. All parties involved have to weigh the benefits and costs and figure out what works best for them. Hopefully the kids don't get stuck in the middle.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
In fact South Carolina teams are at a disadvantage when preparing for regionals as most states hold their state championship in the spring as opposed to the fall. Thus a state champion from Ga (for example) has just completed many high level challenging games within a month of regionals.

Fitness wise, game fitness and game speed are to their advantage unless you find a way to maintain your level. Coaches have to do this for the benefit of the team.

At the same time you would hope there would not be many conflicts when it comes to weekends. Most HS do not play on weekends

D
throw in
throw in
D
Don't most region iii teams play their high school soccer in the Fall? It would be nice if SC also played high school in the Fall, but I will not hold my breath.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick

Thats Why

Last edited by wakaflockamyers; 03/12/10 12:42 PM.
Goal
Goal
Don't most region iii teams play their high school soccer in the Fall? It would be nice if SC also played high school in the Fall, but I will not hold my breath.

Nope!

Region III Spring High School Soccer States (Boys):
Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee

Region III Fall High School Soccer States (Boys): North Carolina, Texas

Region III Winter High School Soccer States (Boys):
Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi

Victory Starts Here!
S
goal
goal
S
Big Daddy - I agree that year round soccer is what's up and that the speed of play and speed of decision making drops but to say that fitness levels drop in high shool.....

I know you can not lump all HS coaches together but the HS coach gets fitness in 5-6 days a week vs 3 days a week club. Then you can get into the discussion about the number of games played whether good or bad for the individual. Remember the academy approach is fewer games more practice. I am in no way trying to compare HS & club. Club skills level are way above HS.

goal
goal
I agree that, theoretically, a player practicing 5-6 days a week (high school) should be in better shape (both physically and skill-wise) than a player practicing 3 days a week (club); but, again, that varies wildly amongst the different club and high school teams and coaches.

Don't you think that 3 very intense practices a week would get a player in better shape than 5 mediocre/laid-back practices? Now…you might ask me to show you a high school coach who has laid-back practices…and to respond to my own challenge, I'm not sure I can do that…but it's all relative. If you could place some club practices next to some high school practices, the high school practices may appear laid-back, relative to the club practice. And, of course, I imagine the opposite is true in some cases.

I think this is another one of those things you can generalize, but there are exceptions.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

Big Daddy - I agree that year round soccer is what's up and that the speed of play and speed of decision making drops but to say that fitness levels drop in high shool.....

I know you can not lump all HS coaches together but the HS coach gets fitness in 5-6 days a week vs 3 days a week club. Then you can get into the discussion about the number of games played whether good or bad for the individual. Remember the academy approach is fewer games more practice. I am in no way trying to compare HS & club. Club skills level are way above HS.

Well, there's fitness and then there's match fitness.

My son plays on a NC Academy team and he spent the Fall playing SC club on a pretty good challenge team. He's a very fit kid and pretty much played the whole game in the fall. When he switched to Academy.....his first competitve exposure was a Showcase event and when I asked him if there was anything that surprised him, he replied "the fitness required". Kind of a surprising response until I started watching the games and saw the speed of play and intensity of play. Its just different.

High school for the most part is slower paced than club. The kids are moving.....but they aren't moving explosively all the time, under duress. I'm sure Irmo-Wando or Irmo-NW or NW-FM or Dorman-Mauldin games are different. But for every one of those games there are 5 NW-Andrew Jackson or Irmo whomever games that end up being 9-0.

A bunch of 9-0 games on the schedule doesn't do a whole lot for speed of play for the better players. And slower speed of play leads to deteriorating match fitness. Again, some coaches can simulate it in practice......most don't have the horses though.

IMO.

D
throw in
throw in
D
Thanks for that info. I could not readily find.

As an aside, how does NC deal with Academy or R3PL in the Fall when their high school season is going on in the Fall? Folks are belly aching about SC high school kids practicing or going to play in tournament games on the weekends. It must be a constant clash in NC?

Someone told me SC used to play in the Fall (I have only been here 6 years so I have no idea), but football coaches did not want the soccer teams on the fields where schools had to share the field. Any truth to this?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard