Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Brace
Brace
J
Here in Northern Illinois, we do the 2 refs for the JV and then have 3 for the varsity match. Since we have a lot of high schools in a relatively small area, there is no problem getting the refs to come and do one game. But then again, you get paid $65 for the one game as the center. Works out pretty good, and the games are usually done quite well. You may want to look into something like that down there.

If you are going to argue a point, at least get factual information to back up your side.....
R
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
R
Quote:

Here in Northern Illinois, we do the 2 refs for the JV and then have 3 for the varsity match. You may want to look into something like that down there.

That's what we do in district 4.

goal kick
goal kick
An answer and a question/thought: The home school decides when to ask for 3 referees. Most of the schools in the Columbia ask for 3 for region matches. And in response to the person who said they would not travel for one match, I do this on many nights. It may not "maximize" my time but it does allow for 3 referees when needed or requested. And that is why I referee, for the kids and the game.

Now for my question, we all hear that the reason we do not get 3 for all varsity matches is the cost. Why does basketball always get 3 referees for all varsity (boys and girls) games? If I am correct it is mandated by the high school league. Just think about this, the basketball referee covers a court about a third the size of a soccer pitch with less than half the players on the court at one time.

Just some food for thought.

Hey, it's not rocket surgery!
J
corner kick
corner kick
J
1. touche...i guess some would be willing to do 1 per night.

2. basketball gets 3 b/c it generates enough money at the gate to afford it. at least, that is the answer that is usually given.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Great moment in officiating from last night's JV game...I know it doesn't quite fit the thread but I thought I'd share, and everyone knows I seldom comment on that topic.

Under a 3-man system, Berkeley is awarded an indirect free kick from about 25 yards out. The ball is placed and the center ref turns and walks away from the ball.

Player A runs across, steps on the ball moving it slightly forward. Player B steps up and drills the ball under the crossbar into the net to put Berkeley up 2-1.

About 15 seconds later, the center ref calls, "No goal, the kick was indirect." Under loud protest from the bench that the kicker was actually the second to play the ball, he finally turns to AR1 on the near side and asks, "Did someone else touch it?" AR1 shrugs and replies, "I didn't see." AR2 on the far side who had the best angle stands uncomfortably shifting from foot to foot.

"Nobody saw the second touch--no goal."

So yeah...3-man system isn't the answer to all problems.

I've got good news and bad news...
C
Coach
Coach
C
Almost forgot...second great moment from the same match...

White team takes kickoff after the half. Ball moves backward rather than forward on the first touch. Center ref correctly stops play and then restarts with a kickoff--for the YELLOW team.

(8-1-3: The ball shall be kicked while it is stationary on the ground in the center of the field of play. A goal may be scored directly from the kickoff. The ball is in play when it moves forward. If the kickoff is taken improperly, it must be retaken.)

I've got good news and bad news...
S
kick off
kick off
S
Hey Coach ,sounds like a 4+ man ref system was probably needed.When its not the team your rooting for it is comical however,when it is your team and these kind of calls take place its a nightmare.

S
goal
goal
S
IMO - you cannot ref a HS game with only 2 refs. Well at least at the 3A and 4A levels. The players are too big and fast at the varsity levels. At the varsity level you have the crafty club players and then some thugs both of which will push the rules. The 3rd ref does help with discipline during the game. Yes the 3 man system is not perfect but neither is the World Cup. Just ask Ireland after Henry!

In the first scenario it appears that the center ref did his job and if he doesn't get help I consider that part of the game. I would venture to bet that very few offsides calls were questioned during the game. I would rather a ref not make a call if he didn't see it then make a "I think" call. The 3rd ref should put the AR and center ref in position to make the calls. That is all we can ask of these humanoids!

The second scenario is just not understanding the rules.

J
bench
bench
J
Coach, The scenario of an IDFK that you described has to be understood from Referee point of view. Not all rules (high school uses rules, USSF uses laws) are as black and white as we wish they could be. The rule states that a goal can not be scored directly from an Indirect Free Kick. This being said, the ball is kicked and a second player must play the ball before a goal is scored. These questions come up often during referee discussions, 1. what is "kicked"? and 2. what is "played"?
I view running over the top of a ball as not being "kicked". If as you stated the ball did move, then the ball has been "played" but not kicked. I would assume that the referee was requesting assistance from his "assistant referee" as to whether he observed the ball movement.
IMHO the referee placed themselves in an improper position if they were not able to observe the ball the entire time after placing it for the IDFK.

Brace
Brace
Coach, I would give that feedback to the assignor in your area. I agree soccer16 in respect that the AR's should be more involved in the game, especially watching play away from the ball. Very rarely see AR's calling fouls. In the old days when I use to coach I told the refs before the games the 'tricks' I did with ball movement on corner and indirect kicks to make them aware of rule and our intent. Also totally agree 3 man only option, especially on the varsity boys side.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard