Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
kick off
kick off
C
In his region... That's cute. Let us see how he does against good teams and then we shall re-evaluate his performance.

L
bench
bench
L
I think Beebe and Limbaugh have to be considered at the top due to deserved recognition they've received. Even though Irmo beat SV with relative ease Limbaugh was the sole reason Irmo didn't reach double digit goals. He produced a number of goal line saves and proved why he is so highly touted.

On that same note I think Irmo's starting keeper Rob Sullivan should also be considered among the elite keepers in the state. His club team (although he splits time) is at the top of the region in the Academy league and while in goal for Irmo he has proved to be a vital asset to their defense. Unlike the other two keepers Sullivan is just a junior with another year to grow and develop.

B
corner kick
corner kick
B
Quote:

On that same note I think Irmo's starting keeper Rob Sullivan should also be considered among the elite keepers in the state. His club team (although he splits time) is at the top of the region in the Academy league and while in goal for Irmo he has proved to be a vital asset to their defense. Unlike the other two keepers Sullivan is just a junior with another year to grow and develop.

To be correct Sullivan was out a large portion of the club season with an injury. Split time? He played in seven games while Zack Shamah the sophmore keeper from Socastee played in 23 games. Split time? I guess technically - but by the time he came back the Academy region had all but been decided.

So if we are looking at Academy region results the question becomes - where does that put Shamah on the list of best goalies in the state? and he is just a sophmore with two years to grow.

To me it is unfair to say a goalie from a "gifted" team is good JUST because he plays for that team. Personally, some of the best keepers I have seen over the years play for average teams but their goals against average may not be great because they are under a lot more pressure.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
I think that keeper from North Myrtle was pretty darn good. I'll have to check the roster to get his name.

Coach Chickering
Camden High Soccer
C
kick off
kick off
C
Thanks Coach Chickering for the recognition. Our keeper is Kyle Smith. He is a Junior this year.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
That save he made on us in the second half was world class. My kid fired a bullet through traffic and Kyle got a hand on it and knocked it wide. He had to have been shielded and still was able to react quick enough to make that save. That was top notch. Congrats on winning the tournament! You guys played well and we enjoyed playing and watching you.

Coach Chickering
Camden High Soccer
H
goal
goal
H
GK is a tough position to evaluate. It's probably the most technically demanding position. Keepers with poor technique will be found out over the long haul. Much of what separates the excellent ones from the average ones is rather mundane, but crucial. Proper positioning allows for easy saves that improper positioning turns into spectacular saves - or goals. Good communication can keep shots from ever being taken. The bottom line for a GK is to make the saves he should make, and once in a while make some that he probably shouldn't.

It's a helluva position for a kid to play - and the worst for a kid's parent!

L
bench
bench
L
Quote:

Quote:

To be correct Sullivan was out a large portion of the club season with an injury. Split time? He played in seven games while Zack Shamah the sophmore keeper from Socastee played in 23 games. Split time? I guess technically - but by the time he came back the Academy region had all but been decided.

So if we are looking at Academy region results the question becomes - where does that put Shamah on the list of best goalies in the state? and he is just a sophmore with two years to grow.

To me it is unfair to say a goalie from a "gifted" team is good JUST because he plays for that team. Personally, some of the best keepers I have seen over the years play for average teams but their goals against average may not be great because they are under a lot more pressure.

You make a very good point, but I also think that playing keeper for a great team can also hurt you're credibility and even cause you to be overlooked at times because everyone wants to attribute it to the talent around you. As for the club thing, having watched a significant number of that teams games I felt that Sullivan was a better keeper but the injury along with the nature of the academy league may just lend itself better to keepers splitting games, but hey thats solely my opinion.

B
corner kick
corner kick
B
Quote:

You make a very good point, but I also think that playing keeper for a great team can also hurt you're credibility and even cause you to be overlooked at times because everyone wants to attribute it to the talent around you.

I just believe that more times than not the John Wall's of the world become 1st team all americans while the Devan Downey's get honorable metions.

No one will ever convince me that if Downey was wearing Kentucky, Duke or North Carolina Blue instead of Gamecock Garnett that he wouldn't be 1st team all american at this point.

Same with Spiller - if he was wearing Florida instead of Clemson Orange he would have at least been at the Heisman table.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
So, some of the good ones are:

Robert Beebe, Pinewood Prep (JR)
Timmy Cunningham, Cardinal Newman (JR)
Chris Duzan, Brookland-Cayce (SR)
Ben Limbaugh, Spring Valley (SR)
Zack Shamah, Socastee (SO)
Kyle Smith, North Myrtle Beach (JR)
Rob Sullivan, Irmo (JR)
Zach Woolever, Dorman (JR)
Jason Vaeth, Chapin (SR)