Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
bench
bench
Agree w/Chief in that situations like those penalize the more dominant team to a certain extent BUT... a shutout IS a shutout. The team winning 6-1 should have put the clampdown on those teams and shut them down. That being said if your referring to Clover/Fort Mill I really didn't see any 1-0 wins for them in region and Fort Mill DID give up more goals then Clover (to York no less and they really only have Devin Puckett as a credible scoring threat) AND Clover has only 3 or 4 subs (all freshman I believe) whereas Fort Mill is LOADED with upperclassmen (20 something I believe) so the sub issue is moot. Sounds to me like sour grapes that the almighty Fort Mill didn't get it done and that the blame lies elsewhere other then where it should be, with the team/staff. I'm sure they'll be okay next year as I believe they will have 11(?) seniors and if I'm not mistaken going 3A. Clover will have only 2(!) seniors and will still be 4A. That way if Fort Mill loses to Clover again next year at least it won't count.

The only way is all the way!
corner kick
corner kick
Interested to see how they seed Spring Valley and Blythewood both should be tied for region champions at the end of the week, Not sure what the tiebreaker will be in the region.

brace
brace
You agree then disagree? Ok give the shutout point too but a 4-1 win should be worth than a 1-0 win. Just counted the region goals for these team and they both won the same number of game by 3 or more and obviously Clover notched more shutouts. No sour grapes on my part, just wanted to point out that GA is a stat that would encourage more blowouts as teams just keep scoring to prevent the weaker team from getting a lucky goal. In fact one of the goals given up to York was a no pressure passback own goal (though some at game thought keep got to it in time).

Dont be a FM hater, FM got what they earned and they dropped the game and no one here is whining or making excuses for them, I know I am not, your the one who agreed with me.

As for next year, well this year is not over and I think anyone facing either team in playoffs will get a battle, but I would guess TL Hanna would rather face Clover again rather than FM, as TLH won last two times while Spartanburg would rather face Clover then take on FM and exit the playoffs via the FM offramp for the third time in four years.
Best of all would be the Clover/FM rematch in the upstate final this year!

C
kick off
kick off
C
The problem with having a Goals Against tie breaker is that is forces a coach to decide whether or not to play players who dont get much playing time. It kills player development. If I am coaching a game and we are up by four or more goals then I want to let the kids that work hard at practice everyday and dont get much playing time a chance to play.

bench
bench
I think the best scoring format would be points based such as
1: Win: 3 pts. w/1 pt per goal max 3 (promotes subbing)
2: Shutout 2 pts. w/max pts. of 3 goals (again for subs)
3: Tie at end of reg 1 pt. each w/OT goal pt(s) for goals scored in OT. In PK situations pt(s) for each goal max 3
4: Tiebreakers: Goal differential on region opponents, if still tied, Head to Head goal differential, if still tied number of shutouts in region and finally if still tied goals allowed.
In your scenario the 4-1 win would net 6 pts. while the 1-0 nets 5.
Regarding TL.H, maybe they would prefer Clover however I believe they played in a tournament already that went to PKs (where TL.H won) without A. Pantousco or her sister playing. Might have been a game changer (or may not).
Not hating on FM. I have respect for the program (as with ANY program that teaches the "right" way to play). It is a shame that the rivalry between the two teams will not be the same next year and yeah it would be a great final. A nice sendoff.

The only way is all the way!
brace
brace
Thanks coach thats my point. I would rather more kids play and give up a goal or two than force team to "crush" everyone. I think a team can be prouder of a 5-2 win where everyone played than a 5-0 where only the starters and a few select subs got on the field.

A
kick off
kick off
A
Coach-but then again sometimes you put your subs in and they still get a shutout, so really it is a moot point. I have seen that many times when it is 2-0 or 4,5-0 when subs are in and they still get the shutout.

brace
brace
Sounds like basis for a good system. My only concern would be #4 as that is the one that could result in running up some scores especially late in season when team realizes they need to kill some teams to lock up position (as I would assume the close power house teams will be getting the 3 pts most the time anyway) I would rather see a third game to decide if Head to Head was split, of course with the pt system chances might be less of getting to a #4 beyond head to head.

I would give shutout pts at only 1. That would score the 4-1 would be 6pts (3 win 3 GD) and the 1-0 would be 5 (3 win 1 goal 1 shutout) actually makes a 2-0 shutout equal to 4-1 win) max pts from a game (3-0) is 3 win 3 GD 1 shutout =7. Which is only one pt better than 10-1 win kind of make the shut out worth a little and the pain of losing the shut out late in game due to freely subing much less.

Yes TLH has had the luck in PK's the last two times so they may also want to avoid going for "third times the charm!". I have seen Alyssia play and yes she can be a game changer. Getting Clover instead of FM is not a winning situation for anyone just a different one. No free pass either way!

F
goal kick
goal kick
F
Where would I find up to date region standings?

goal
goal
look on the score board and click on the regions link from the teams in question.

Joe Siatkowski Mauldin Soccer I fear no evil
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard