Goal
Goal
C
No argument there Coach....

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Sounds like the boys side is having the same issues..

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
If this is the process we choose to live with..Don't nominate players if you are not planning on attending the meeting..

S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

All "tainted" except for the two that did not have a coach present...Hillcrest and Fort Mill. They made it on their own........ unless they too fall into the other large subset of the list... the CESA connection.

So I guess the system works, two top quality players made it without there coach present, Just so you know, there is no love lost between CESA and HS soccer.

C
Coach
Coach
C
All the more reason to let high school honors be high school honors without inserting anyone's favorite club into the discussion.

I've got good news and bad news...
S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

All the more reason to let high school honors be high school honors without inserting anyone's favorite club into the discussion.

Problem is all of the top players play club ball. With the HS talent at an all time high a non club player has zero chance of picking up an award.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Closest approximation of truth that I can see...there is really no possible way for all "deserving" players in the state to be represented on an 18-player all-state team. I understand the argument that it seems unfair for multiple players from the same teams to get the honor while no players from other schools are picked. Limiting the number of players per team would solve this, certainly. On the other hand, the argument could also be made that it would be unfair to penalize a highly deserving player for being a member of a team full of highly deserving players...do you tell the third or fourth choice from, say, a Wando team, "Well, if you played for any other team in the state you would have gotten the honor, but since you happened to play on the same team as these other players, you're out?" Doesn't seem fair to the individuals either. Seems the All-State placement is intended to recognize the individual players, not teams or schools.

Does representation at a meeting make a difference? If all other things are equal or close to equal, certainly. The best any committe can do, though, is to try to make sure all of the players selected ARE worthy of the honor within the scope of the committee's knowledge--not to definitively say that they are MORE worthy than any other players, and certainly not to say that the players not selected are NOT worthy.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Point remains...club flag-waving doesn't need to enter into a high school awards discussion. Everyone knows what everyone knows...let high school have its season.

J
JAK Offline
goal kick
goal kick
J
What's to goal of the 18 player All-State team? In theory is the idea that these 18 are the team that would represent the state if there was such a competition?

C
goal kick
goal kick
C
Coaches have to be invited to attend, you can't just show up and have a vote. The SCHSSCA selects who attends. Maybe they need to take a hard look at who they ask in the future. I'm sure there are plenty of coaches that would show up if given the opportunity!

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard