Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

The best teams have the best players..I can agree with that but if I take those four or five all staters and moved them to different teams..What then? They don't stand out so much now do they? Don't pick players based on their teams but on their ability to impact their team whether they are 25-0 or 14-14..

Devita did that on a relatively weak team an got POY. Mauldin had four players on Allstate in 2009 and Czar was not on the committee. Irmo got two last year and their coach was on the committee. I don't think they even made the play-offs. If they did they did not go far. Heck, Mauldin and Dorman probably had couple more that could have been selected.
Bottom line The Columbia coaches should have been there. What coach would vote for someone he or she has never seen play, over players of his/her own that are deserving? Anyone complaining on this site would do the very same thing if they were in the same situation.

Only time will tell
world cup
world cup
Quote:

If you look over the years, it is very rare a girl gets all state without her TEAM winning 12 or usually 14 matches. This is an individual award and not a team award. But those who pick are usually the winners so... I just can not believe if an Enzo type player were at, say a Laurens or a Goose creek (no offense), they would get no play in the press, because the team did not win.

Stephanie DeVita managed to be identified despite playing on a less than stellar team. Did she put up numbers against Dorman, Mauldin and Spartanburg? Heck no, she didn't have the supporting cast.

But.....somebody noticed she could play.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
world cup
world cup
Quote:

Quote:

There was a boys' coach that was on the committee that did not know he was on the committee until someone told him it was on the message board; so they are not notified through email or phone calls..he was not present

Also, our region was not represented in the meeting so no one could fight for our players who were nominated...and 1 of them is a committed junior..

it just seems it is always the same teams and same coaches;

yes, ALL these kids deserve the recognition; but it seems nothing changes in who is representing the committees...these kids could be on it with other coaches represented too

why can't there be a 1st team, 2nd team, and 3rd team-other states do that...we all know there are more than 18 players that are that good in the state...some play in crappy regions, some play on crappy teams, and never get recognized for who they are as a player b.c they don't play on certain teams or in certain regions

I've served on this committee before but not for several years. Back then it was mandated that you had to fill out a true starting 11 and then choose seven other players. That does not seem to be the case now. We asked then why we couldn't have more than one All-State Team, but that was what the SCACA parent organization dictated, so we went with honoring the best 18 we could identify.

I counted more than 50 coaches present at the meeting in the All-State thread. I understand you have to be a member of SCACA and the SCHSSCA to be considered for the All-State Committee. If a coach is not a member of those organizations then it's pretty obvious that the coach doesn't consider that his/her profession and is just there to pick up a check like club coaches do. From being around the game a long time there are a lot of I's to dot and T's to cross when it comes to high school athletics. You can't just roll the ball out there, scrimmage for an hour and a half while talking on your cell phone, and then calling it a day. This is a full time commitment and quite honestly some just aren't cut out to do so.

The SCHSSCA has made it quite obvious that this message board and the scsoccer.com web site are its main methods of information for their organization. For a coach, parent, or player to not be familiar with these outlets is just poor and outside of physically spoon-feeding needy adults I don't know what more could be done to make it as easy as possible for the coaches.

But just like ODP, Select, etc., players not chosen will find a reason to complain instead of looking in the mirror and realizing that they've just got to be better. If their coach was on the All-State Committee and not present at the meeting then that is where the questions should be asked. If a coach did not nominate his/her players then ask that coach directly because no one else would know why a player(s) were not nominated.

Old Gal,

Great post. Need to hear from you more often. Nice to see both reasonable and logical thinking......very good.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
J
JAK Offline
goal kick
goal kick
J
Quote:

Back then it was mandated that you had to fill out a true starting 11 and then choose seven other players. That does not seem to be the case now.

That was my reason for asking about the lack of defenders on the teams. In fact, only one defender on the entire 3A list.

W
WDC Offline
bench
bench
W
I think the four no show coaches should apologize to every player from their region that was nominated for all state. If you were discussed and voted down you can accept that but to not get a fair chance because someone didn't do their job is hard to take.

D
bench
bench
D
Quote:

Quote:

The best teams have the best players..I can agree with that but if I take those four or five all staters and moved them to different teams..What then? They don't stand out so much now do they? Don't pick players based on their teams but on their ability to impact their team whether they are 25-0 or 14-14..

Devita did that on a relatively weak team an got POY. Mauldin had four players on Allstate in 2009 and Czar was not on the committee. Irmo got two last year and their coach was on the committee. I don't think they even made the play-offs. If they did they did not go far. Heck, Mauldin and Dorman probably had couple more that could have been selected.
Bottom line The Columbia coaches should have been there. What coach would vote for someone he or she has never seen play, over players of his/her own that are deserving? Anyone complaining on this site would do the very same thing if they were in the same situation.

FYI - Irmo DID make the playoffs last year, but ran into the Wando wall in the second round.The players selected last year were well deserving of that honor, as are the players this year! As far as I am aware, none of us on this post played one minute of one match! Until we do, let's hold our tounges and congratulate these fantastic athletes! There is a tremendous amount of talent out there that did not even receive a nomination. The players selected should be proud of their selection as should the players nominated. Congratulations to all these fine young ladies and good luck in the future!

S
bench
bench
S
If she can't produce against the big schools, why would she be named POY? She couldn't produce because she didn't have a cast of players? That goes back to it being a team award rather than the individual award.

throw in
throw in
Quote:

Congratulations to the SEVEN ALL-STATE players from CESA 92 Girls Premier.

The reason these girls from the CESA team were selected for the All-STATE team is that they are competitive with the best Under 17 players in the country. They are dedicated players and play the best teams at their age group on a national basis. They play all the year round, give up their weekends and public holidays to play and therefore hone their considerable skills. This team includes girls from Wando, Mauldin, Riverside, Eastside, Woodruff and elsewhere. The teams they play against have players on the national team.

To my knowledge the team have played games, or have still to play games against are the very best teams outside of SC including teams who are prepared to meet them in places located in Florida, Texas, New Jersey, Louisiana, and Washington State They are is still scheduled to play top national teams before the Fall. High School soccer and club soccer cannot be isolated from each other and of course, the best players are those dedicated to the game.

goal kick
goal kick
its easier to put a less skilled player on defense and teach them the ropes,this allows the coach to move a more skilled player up to concentrate on scoring.Alot of the freshman are club player that start out on defense,but move up to a different position as a soph.Then another fresh. will hopefully step into a starting defense position.At least thats how it works for our h.s. program.Plus everybody knows you dont get any respect when you play defense!!They do the dirty work and usually dont get the credit!!

Relax...breathe,then bust it!!
D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

its easier to put a less skilled player on defense and teach them the ropes,this allows the coach to move a more skilled player up to concentrate on scoring.Alot of the freshman are club player that start out on defense,but move up to a different position as a soph.Then another fresh. will hopefully step into a starting defense position.At least thats how it works for our h.s. program.Plus everybody knows you dont get any respect when you play defense!!They do the dirty work and usually dont get the credit!!

I guess that's one way to do it. Our program puts skilled players on defense and moves them into scoring positions by teaching them to attack out of the back.

I know several players in the list who play multiple positions during the course of a game depending on where they may be needed at the time especially those who play on teams with less depth. So, some players listed as forward or midfielder may spend nearly as much time during the year as defenders. However, you don't seem to see the F/D or M/D in the All State lists.

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard