Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
1977 Offline OP
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
The AAAA final will be an interesting contest of two teams who have reached the final through very different paths. Wando have a record, indicating easy wins over lowly ranked State teams. Mauldin’s record shows highly contested wins over highly ranked teams.

At the beginning of the season Wando beat Mauldin in the Viking Cup on penalties, but the pattern was already in place. In this competition Mauldin played all their games, excluding the one against Wando, on a rutted undersized field and on a field aptly but disparagingly nicknamed “The beach”. Wando played this competition on a better-prepared field; it still had a poor playing surface. It appeared nearer to full size field and their schedule looked easier. The game result was a tie with Wando winning on penalties. Mauldin survived fields that prevented them from playing their style of game and probably fatiguing and exasperating them

Through the rest of the season Maudlin have beaten all the top ranked teams, excluding Wando. Riverside was beaten home and away, Dorman was beaten home and away and Hanna has been beaten twice at Hanna. Wando excluded, these are the top teams in the State. Mauldin has a battle-hardened team, players have knocks and bruises and some starters will not play in the final. Mauldin through out the season has shown depth and resilience. In Tuesday evenings semi final against Dorman the game became similar to the Wando final last year. In last years game Wando scored from a penalty, Mauldin took the ball straight down the field, scoring within less than 20 seconds of the Wando score, Mauldin dominated the rest of the game. The DVD game commentator said after their goal, the field was tilted five degrees in Mauldin’s favor.

Last night Dorman equalized with 13 minutes to go, their raucous supporters had hardly got through the first line of their song, which I think went along the lines of “Your not singing, because we are singing now” when Mauldin took the lead through a brilliant goal. That was the decisive factor Dorman could not raise their spirit and game to make a come back.

Will a relatively untested Wando be able to beat a battle harden and well tested and proven Mauldin, I doubt it.

D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
"That was the decisive factor Dorman could not raise their spirit and game to make a come back."

Come on now....not sure I would say my team did not raise our spirit. They battled until the end with high emotions and high spirit. As every coach understands, some days it is not meant to be. Mauldin's defense and keeper did a fantastic job. The second goal was one of the best I have seen anyone take with a left foot. Congratulations to Mauldin and Kevin. The state championship game will be a great one.

S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

"That was the decisive factor Dorman could not raise their spirit and game to make a come back."

Come on now....not sure I would say my team did not raise our spirit. They battled until the end with high emotions and high spirit. As every coach understands, some days it is not meant to be. Mauldin's defense and keeper did a fantastic job. The second goal was one of the best I have seen anyone take with a left foot. Congratulations to Mauldin and Kevin. The state championship game will be a great one.

congrats on a great season coach

B
throw in
throw in
B
1977, you are a jerk. Such hardened sensitivity. You take away from the spirit of the game. Whether a Dorman, Mauldin, or Wando fan , I wish you all the best of luck. Of course now I really hope WANDO kicks Mauldin as........

J
JAK Offline
goal kick
goal kick
J
Quote:

1977, you are a jerk.

Wow. Look in the mirror. Pot calling the kettle black?

B
throw in
throw in
B
Yesiree , Riverside parent....

J
JAK Offline
goal kick
goal kick
J
Pleasantly surprised that you agree such comments are unconstructive. Saying things like "You jerk" make people ignore the rest of the post, regardless of how intelligent the subsequent comments are. They completely take away from the conversation.

The Dorman coach gets a big thumbs up for a constructive reply. As stated above, congrats coach on a great season.

S
goal
goal
S
Mauldin wins a tight game against an excellent team with a top notch HS coach.

Wow it was a simple observation from 77.

throw in
throw in
Wando -1 Mauldin - 0 in a hard-fought, great game.

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
I have had the pleasure of playing both teams, and they both possess the key ingredients to win this thing. Speed, organization, and most of all...depth. And I mean depth at every position. There really isn't a lot of difference between these two teams and it should be a great game to watch.

Prediction? Gotta be an upstate homer and go with the orange and brown. Lets say 1-0 in OT.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard