Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Quote:

1) Do clubs get a discount on the amount of uniforms they agree to purchase? Bigger the club cheaper the kit?
2) Is there that much of a difference in quality of these kits? Addidas, Nike, Under Armour?
3)Does all of the money from these kits go back to the seller/manufacturer of the kits?
4)Do clubs profit in $$$ from these kits?
Just wondering!!!

In my experience. Most of it very recent

1. Not sure discounts are applied on size of club but certainly on number of jerseys ordered. Some like Score (sponsor of our State Association) actually provide price lists with sliding scale based on units ordered. For the record we happily use Score (and thank them for Statewide support of soccer) in our Little Kickers (3-8) program and are delighted with the product and pricing. We get uniform jerseys for < $8 each that includes our horse logo (4") and number and the printing quality and style is top notch. When you consider typical printing costs alone for crest and number run $5 - $6 per jersey you see the value. Our parents (and kids) are delighted the little ones get a jersey that makes them feel special (compared to discount printed T found in most rec programs) and a delta of cost to us of only $2 to a discount printed T. My youngest (4) has worn hers for two seasons now and it has held up very well.

2. Even within manufacturers there is wide variety of quality. The old maxim generally applies in this regard 'you get what you pay for'. We use baseline adidas jersey and it is prone to snagging. But at < $15 each (retail cost), not a huge issue. I like adidas as a brand in general but that is mainly 'old school' thinking. I've always admired German manufacturing from Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, and BMW (bet sweet has one of them) to adidas and Puma.

3. and 4 together. Manufacturers and retailers work together to provide clubs option. Either local or not. For example we discussed using Nike with Local retailer and Puma with National outlet/retailer. 'Profit' is returned to the club usually in the way of incentives/kickbacks (perhaps in equipment or coaching gear). Margins are lower than retailers on these bulk contracts but then volume and revenue is so much higher. Retailers and distributors often make a little beyond the margin if they are handling and charging for customizations (printing numbers, etc.). Our proposed Puma deal was charging $5.50 for this and most digital transfers of crests will run $1 to $1.50 and mass purchased numbers 40 cents or so. Of course this also takes machinery (heat press that can run $800) and labor charges. Of course anyone can go online to mass retailers and discount wharehouses, buy 300 and print themselves that would surely cut some cost especially if those savings were passed back down to parents but that is going to require effort and often it is easier (and better) to leave supplying equipment and kits to the professionals who can hold inventory, respond rapidly, and better serve the consumer.

In the end analysis I don't think these expensive uniform options are designed to make a ton of money, but more for marketing and establishing differentiators against others that will draw more kids (talented ones particularly like the cool stuff as they watch it on TV) and therefore fees.
Surely a few bucks is made either directly or indirectly through equipment they would have to buy anyway.
In the grand scheme of things, I'm sure there are more profitable areas of club operations where decisions are made, and pricing is set that will generate more cash to oil the machine.

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong
D
Goal
Goal
D
Not sure the $200+ mentioned for uniforms would be gaining such a reaction had it not been added on top of the $1000+ in club fees, not including tournament fees, travel (first plane ride, second plane ride, third plane ride...) and expenses.

Last edited by DeltaDog; 06/05/10 07:20 PM.
B
throw in
throw in
B
DeltaDog. you must have a daughter on one of the CESA teams.

goal kick
goal kick
Try two ....

Relax...breathe,then bust it!!
D
Goal
Goal
D
Actually, I have more than one daughter and/or son playing, as do many families. Sweet Feet is right in one regard, the experience is incredible. But at the end of the month one realizes that experience is far from without a price.

S
goal
goal
S
I am 100% certain that if you added up all the scholarship money that the CESA 92 girls premier players are receiving it would far exceed the amount of money parents have spent on travel, dues, uniforms etc...

D
Goal
Goal
D
100% sure on a per player basis?

S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

100% sure on a per player basis?

I am not aware what every player received, however I will stand by by original statement that the amount of scholarship money far exceeds what parents have spent on club soccer. I am certain what my daughter received and feel very confident what 3-4 other players are receiving, and with those five players the sum is enough to tip the table in terms of scholarship money.

D
Goal
Goal
D
So, you're saying the return on investments for some should be considered as return on investments for the whole? Somehow, unless the colleges are donating to a team scholarship pool to be evenly distributed amongst all of the players, I'm having a little trouble following.

However, getting back to the original post of this thread and given our discussion on justifying the cost of playing through the potential ROI of a college scholarship, then perhaps it really is... all about the money.

D
Goal
Goal
D
Sweet Feet, I do understand your point and enjoy the exchange. But, here's the part I hate about this discussion.

I've always tried to impress upon my own that you play the game for the love of the game. That's it. And, if you find the effort you put into playing the game well is based on "Will I get a scholarship" or similarly "Will mom give me a dollar for every goal I score", then you're playing for the wrong reason. If you apply your talent and hard work and are fortunate enough to excel and become successful at playing the game well that you love, other things may follow. They may not. But, you play for the love of the game.

The threshhold of what each individual family can afford differs, and when the cost exceeds affordable we either lose players or begin replacing the incentive of love for the game with "How can I make some money out of this?". That's the part I hate.

Last edited by DeltaDog; 06/06/10 03:01 AM.
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard