Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
U
throw in
throw in
U
My wife and myself were not educated enough on the recruiting process (our fault). We've had 5 college recruiting trips this past year. Our daughter will be a senior in high school next year. 2 were because the college showed an interest. 3 were because my daughter wanted to attend those schools even if soccer wasn't part of the picture. If you have a potential college soccer player in the family you need to start the college recruiting process at u15."IF ITS IN THE BEST INTEREST OF YOUR FAMILY" Ask the college coach if there is any ramifications of skipping a club event to participate in a college team camp. You will here from all of them. " If your child wants to play at our school, they have to come to our college camp". Again,."IF ITS IN THE BEST INTEREST OF YOUR FAMILY"
We had and have money and scheduling conflicts on the club events, ODP and a college camp. The college coach at this D1 school told us. You can invest $350 in our college camp for a potential at receiving something $$$ from our institution, or you can send them on your club event. They said you need to make a decision "IS IT IN THE BEST INTEREST OF YOUR FAMILY".
There's a perception out their that clubs have an influence on colleges. We have found out in our college meetings that this is not the case. Colleges have a rather large pool to choose from "THE WORLD". They don't havee to rely on one club.
Where your club can help you is having the club coach make phone calls and send emails to the colleges that your daughter wants to attend. Our club coach has done a great job this year in doing this for us. As parents we should of asked him to do this 2 years ago.
The bottom line is parents need to make a decision for their child athlete base on "WHATS IN THE BEST INTEREST OF THEIR FAMILY" " THE WHOLE FAMILY".

L
Goal
Goal
L
Quote:

This might be why 1 club has lost their girls challenge team from last year except for the goalie. .

what age group?

S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

Quote:

This might be why 1 club has lost their girls challenge team from last year except for the goalie. .

what age group?

I will bet a steak dinner it's rising U-18's.

U
throw in
throw in
U
Sweet on a more important note. Are you taking me to the Ohio State - U game? And start fishing. FAST. The oil is almost there.

K
goal kick
goal kick
K
Sweet feet,
My son was studying for exams last weekend. In 8th grade, he was enrolled in 3 high school classes that will count towards his GPA. Once again, you mention 1)premier and 2) girls. He is not on premier at the u15 age group and one coach did tell me it was because he was too small. They said he had as good of skill as those selected, if not better, but of course the took the bigger players. Also, the boys at that age are not very nice and I'll leave it at that. One more thing. I played D1 soccer my freshman year and when the season was over I finally realized all I missed out on in the first months of college.

I know camps are expensive but the CESA team camp is NOT residential and honestly, the only way I want my son going to any of the schools whose coaches will be here (excpet UNC--but I hear there coach is a jerk) is IF he is getting a full ride. College soccer is not #1. Education is.

K
goal kick
goal kick
K
a few more things. I am originally from NY and I already have plans to take my son over Christmas break as he's never been. While a trip with a bunch of friends would be great, I think a trip with dear old dad will be much more memorable in the long run.

I played competitive soccer when I was in middle school and high school. was able to take trips all around the country and to Mexico (and this was in the late 70's, early 80's). While it was great, I still missed out on many experiences with my non-soccer playing friends because I was always practicing and playing and my family could not afford to let me play and take any sort of other vacation.

S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

Kdlsc,

Missed experiences? What was your child doing last weekend while the CESA girls were in NY visiting ground zero?

Kdlsc,

I never mentioned premier, did mention CESA girls.

I agree 100%, Education is number one.

S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

Sweet on a more important note. Are you taking me to the Ohio State - U game? And start fishing. FAST. The oil is almost there.

No problem, we can discuss in LA. Looks like I will be fishing a little further offshore.

goal kick
goal kick
I guess we didn't quite understand the process either. Our daughter has gone back and forth trying to decide whether she wanted to make the committment to playing soccer in college. This is a big decision when you are a sophmore or junior and without really knowing all that is involved, almost overwhelming at that age. For her, she had always pictured herself at a "bigger" college and since soccer had been such a big part of her life since she was 5 years old, she didn't think she wanted to commit all of her time in college also...she wanted to maybe join a sorority, go to football games and perhaps even play a different sport, through intramurals. She also did not feel like she was college material, at least not at those schools she was looking at. Now she has picked the school she wants to attend and figured she probably was good enough to play on the team, but perhaps it is too late to pursue it. I don't think that the coach or the club have the contacts to really help with this too much, unless it is on a more local level. She will be fine though if she doesn't play...I think she will miss it or perhaps even try to walk on ..but she is more excited about the college experience and moving forward in her life. As far as being on the Premier team...it has been a GREAT experience for her...the friendships and trips she has been on cannot be topped! It has been a financial burden at times but I think the structure has served her well.

Relax...breathe,then bust it!!
S
throw in
throw in
S
It seems most parents with their first child going through the recruiting process do not seem to understand the process. Uncle Buck points out a few good tips. Everyone seems to be saying start earlier and earlier but here are some dilemas. At U 15, a lot girls have no idea what college they want, they have barely started high school. Most good dedicated soccer players have dreams of playing for UNC and being the next Mia Hamm. You can write or try to visit those places and unless you are playing at the top level tournaments in the top bracket or ODP (from a different state - SC just doesn't have the reputation on the girls side yet), you likely wont get any looks. If your child likes a smaller school,those schools aren't looking until probably the U16 year and especially at U16 regionals or later. Your best bet is to be on a team that makes it to regionals or the top tournaments. If your child is interested locally then the club coaches probably can provide help in your child getting looked at but you probably should have been contacting them expressing interest in the sophomore year of high school. I think it is very difficult for a sophomore and even a first semester junior to decide what she wants in a college. Soccer is so much of their life but I don't think any of the kids are playing just to get a scholarship to college. For that fact,they would probably have better luck just spending that time studying and getting an academic scholarship - the percentages are much better. They have to have a love for the game and isn't it great when it works out they can keep playing and essentially get paid by getting some education costs offset. Problem is finding the right mix for the individual - soccer level, academic level, and financial level. It is different for every player and the recruiting time table is different for each grouping.So no its not all about the money. Its about providing the best you can to help your child develop to their fullest within the constraints of your family. Unfortunately, it is the exception for a girl of 14 to envision what she'll want or be as a player or student in college. So parents can say start looking at U15 but most times the child is not that interested to be visiting colleges or understand even what to look for when they haven't barely experienced high school. The recruiting process is just way too early! Personally I think they should not allow verbal offers until their sr. year when they can take official visits, have the maturity to understand what to look for, and likely more developed as a player growth and skill.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard