Garbanzo with the assist on a break away

8 seconds on the clock!!!

Irmo goes down!

Hot N Ready - 5 Minutes or less.
U
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
U
They think it's all over is a well known quotation popular in England. It is taken from Kenneth Wolstenholme's BBC TV commentary in the closing moments of the 1966 FIFA World Cup Final, where England beat West Germany 4-2 after extra time to win the FIFA World Cup.
Transcribed, the quotation is:
And here comes Hurst! He's got...
(Wolstenholme's attention is diverted by some of the crowd spilling onto the pitch)
Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over!
(Geoff Hurst scores to put England two goals ahead)
It is now, it's four!

brace
brace
That's the final

and what a match.

Great game both team

Irmo could just not capitalize and Dennis and Ricky were too much at times.

It's been a weekend guys take it easy.

Hot N Ready - 5 Minutes or less.
U
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
U

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Thanks to all involved it keeping us updated. As I said earlier, I had something come up...but I still had the chance to keep up with all the games...To the teams that won congrats...Win with class and enjoy a lifetome memory, to the team that didn't win....this may be little consolation, but there were a lot of team that would have loved to be in your place.

Again Thanks to all

Scott D. Ruggles
Stratford High School
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
5/22/10

Class AAAA State Championship
Irmo 2-4 Northwestern
Memorial Stadium @ Columbia, SC

Goals: (N) Ricardo Garbonzo (44', 55'), Ryan Foster (58'), Dennis Moore (80'); (I) Joe Bivona (68'), Own Goal (72')
Assists: (N) Moore (2), Garbonzo, Alexis Martinez.
Shots: I 24-9 N.
Saves: (I) Rob Sullivan 1, Stephen Ameson 0; (N) Sam Faris 3.
Corner Kicks: I 4-2 N.
Offsides: I 1-2 N.
Fouls: I 16-16 N.
Cautions: (N) Garbonzo, 26'; Ryan Foster, 40'; Martinez, 55'; (I) Matt Sieverding, 29'.
Ejections: none.
Officials: Justin Bodner (R); Josh Stener (AR), Stephen Middleton (AR), Skye-Arthur Banning (4th), Steve Abbott (5th), Barry Kemp (Timer).
Records: Irmo (25-2-0), Northwestern (27-2-0).

world cup
world cup
Congrats Northwestern!

Great job!

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
S
throw in
throw in
S
Yep ... amazing ... got there with 5 minutes to go in first half and saw 45 minutes of perplexing soccer.

Northwestern basically finished almost everything they tried with some gifted individuals up top. I still wonder why Irmo didn't play another guy back to try and keep those two (Ricky, Dennis) from 1v1 or 1v2 situations ... but I digress.

Irmo played with a lot of heart and controlled the last 25 minutes once down 3-0, but even though they got it to 3-2, they never played particularly smart. Fouls when trying to keep the game moving, long shots instead of building for closer shots. The NW GK didn't have to make a ton of saves - many shots were off the frame. But - still - both teams are to be commended for a HARD-FOUGHT match. And Ricky ... WOW!

Before you read further, let me say this. I was on the Irmo side and didn't hear the NW students. I also don't want to hear that "this happens all over the place and you just need to get over it."

I sat within ear-shod of the Irmo students. Multiple times - at least 10 - they yelled "bullsh*t" in unison to referee calls (or non calls), and when someone went down for NW with an injury, again, in unison "p*ssy." This was VERY audible on the Irmo side and there's no doubt everyone could hear it.

Now, kids will be kids - I get that. They hear it on TV and see it from college BK students and emulate. HOWEVER, this is high school. My disappointment wasn't with the students ... it's with the Irmo parents, administrators, teachers or any of the thousand coaches on the sideline (one of which who played to the students to get them fired up). My sons' principal would have been down there telling them to clean it up on the first BS and if the principal wasn't around, any number of parents would have stopped them. Instead, NOT A SINGLE Irmo parent stepped up to tell them to cheer and cheer loudly, but with class.

Yes, it's easy to show your class or lack thereof when the chips are down. We see it all the time. But this was a learning opportunity for students and not a single adult or ANYONE associated with IHS went over there to tell them to clean it up. SHAME ON YOU, Irmo High School ... you should be embarrassed by your student's actions and by your lack of action. I hope someone else mentions this to the principal because this should not be tolerated. I was going to bring my youngest son to the match but couldn't and I'm glad I didn't. I would have had to have moved.

And, NO, it wasn't MY JOB to tell Irmo students to calm down. There were MANY, MANY teachers and parents around me who could have done it and only stood there ignoring or looking at each other with no intention of doing a thing.

What a shame such a hard-fought match could be marred by actions - or lack thereof. And if this was for another forum, then so be it. I figured many Irmo parents would be on here later and could comment. I welcome your feedback.

Again, congrats to the Irmo (and NW) players for a great game. All should hold their heads high!

H
kick off
kick off
H
Agree with Soccer Parent - class-less by Irmo fans. Our HS kids would be suspended from school for yelling things like that in a regular home game. And here is a state championship game....something should be done and something should have been done. This just about trumps that irritating flag thing NW does.

throw in
throw in
Just came back from the game; here are my two cents, take them as you will.

Very, very impressed with a few individual players on both sides. 8 on Irmo played with class, skill and heart the entire game, even when the outcome was obvious--I saw him play in last year's final as well and I'm glad that he was on Irmo tonight; I saw him comfort the Irmo defender who was directly the cause of the third NW goal, and I was glad he represented my former high school. 13 on NW had a great game, I felt he was pretty solid the whole way through, and Ricky and Dennis were amazing as always.

Despite all his hype on here, I was sad to see that Alex wasn't the "heart" of anything. He was sluggish when he wasn't on the ball--I saw at least two incidents where after a NW corner, he remained on the Irmo half even as they launched a counterattack, and his sportsmanship consisted of rolling around on the ground until the whistle was blown or it became apparent the ref was continuing play. Not half the man his brother was, I'm sorry to say. 4 on Irmo seemed to suffer from the same deflation of hype--a solid player, but not particularly special, at least in this game.

Overall, I would say Irmo was the more solid team, controlling the game until the last ten or so minutes, despite not being able to finish. The NW victory was the result of a few astounding players, not the work of a team, and seeing as Irmo has the younger potential (7 uptop was I believe either a pretty small sophomore or a freshmen--either way, he was a doing a lot of work) with more sophomores on field, so I think they're rising. Only time will tell though.

@soccerparent; I won't deny that the Irmo fans were pretty tasteless, but regarding the issue of no one telling them to be quiet--if you were in the stands, I was sitting to the left of the student section with other former students, and we told those kids to shut up/tone it down quite frequently. Now I'm not saying they listened, but we tried to remind them that you can support Irmo without resorting to profanity.

Page 17 of 22 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 21 22

Link Copied to Clipboard