Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
All things being equal a college athlete has a much better chance of landing a job than a non athlete. Certain companies always seem to have job openings for local college athletes. I make this statement due to the fact that people always mention how important a good education is, which I totally agree with. So in todays tough economic situation it makes sense to use college athletics as a way to land a good job upon graduation.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Car dealerships?

C
Coach
Coach
C
Actually, I did a research project a couple of years ago analyzing the cost vs. benefits of Title IX, which has made a major difference in providing opportunities for girls and young women to play sports at the high school and college level. Turns out there is a significant amount of research that shows a correlation between playing organized sports and success in the world of employment, especially for women. Two particular items of note that I dug up:

A University of Virginia survey found that 80% of female leaders in Fortune 500 companies played school sports.

A 2004 Oppenheimer Funds survey of 401 "highly successful" women showed that 82% of those surveyed played sports in junior high, high school, and/or college. They cited team activities as part of what helped prepare them to succeed in a highly competitive work environment.

Now, does any of this say that playing sports is what made these people successful? Not really. It does tend to show, though, that there are common traits shared between successful athletes and successful leaders in business and other employment areas, and that's a correlation that employers often recognize when doing the hiring.

I've got good news and bad news...
D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

A University of Virginia survey found that 80% of female leaders in Fortune 500 companies played school sports.

Coach Chass, of those female leaders in Fortune 500 companies, did the survey also include what percentage held a college degree?

L
throw in
throw in
L
Coach Chass, very interesting information. I believe it. I work at a national lab with some very successful female scientists and engineers. I have been pleasantly surprised how many of them played college sports as undergraduates, probably 40-50%. I believe a few even continue to play adult league sports and think a couple coach youth/club teams. I also believe most of them would contribute a large part of their success to the mental discipline, and even stress relief, they got from sports. Thanks!

goal
goal
Sweet, was your first statement your opinion, or are you getting that information from somewhere in particular that you don't mention?

When you said "I make this statement due to the fact..." are you referring to your first statement or your second?

You seem to be suggesting that a student should play a sport in college, and that will make them more successful in the future.

Not saying I specifically disagree with that, but I am thinking that what makes a student play a sport in college is what makes them more successful in the future, versus the actual playing of the sport. Just my opinion, FWIW...

A
throw in
throw in
A

I'll take my chances with a degree from Yale or Dartmouth and no sports. Thanks.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

Quote:

Coach Chass, of those female leaders in Fortune 500 companies, did the survey also include what percentage held a college degree?

DD...I see where you're going with that. I don't think anyone would argue that a college degree isn't a basic requirement for those kinds of jobs, one you can't do without in most cases. To say that sports can get you into that position WITHOUT a degree would be silly. However, you could also survey how many of them breathe oxygen, eat at least once per day, or have a certificate of live birth; you'd probably come close to 100% on those too. According to the 2002 census, about 28% of Americans hold a college degree; out of those, what percentage attain executive positions in Fortune 500 companies? What we're looking at is indicators of what might set the 1% apart from the other 27%.

I'm in no way saying that playing sports can MAKE you a success in the business world...that would be jumping to an unsupported conclusion...but there does seem to be a correlation between successful athletes and successful job-holders that suggests they share qualities that employers are looking for.

Last edited by Coach Chass; 06/07/10 12:03 AM.

S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Quote:

I'll take my chances with a degree from Yale or Dartmouth and no sports. Thanks.

I'll take my chances with a degree from Yale or Dartmouth and sports. See who gets hired first, egghead or college athlete.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

Not saying I specifically disagree with that, but I am thinking that what makes a student play a sport in college is what makes them more successful in the future, versus the actual playing of the sport. Just my opinion, FWIW...

I think you're right, that it's the characteristics that make someone successful at sports that also make them successful in the future; it's not necessarily cause and effect. On the other hand, playing sports can give young people a chance to DEVELOP those characteristics from an early age; so many of the lessons learned on the sports field translate into other, broader parts of life. Competition, teamwork, dealing with pressure and stress, taking orders while also exercising leadership, not to mention lessons in pride, humility, ethics, etc.; sports provide an environment where those who possess the aptitude for those qualities can develop, practice and refine them so that they already have an advanced degree of mental maturity when they first enter the job market.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard