Print Thread
Page 14 of 17 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17
G
gbdawgs Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
SC Womens D1 programs: Out of State vs In state 2010.

Winthrop 27 out, 3 in
Coastal 28 out, 1 in
Clemson 21 out, 2 in
South Carolina 29 out, 3 in
Furman 18 out, 2 in
C of C 18 out, 6 in
Presbyterian 11 out, 12 in
Wofford 19 out 6 in

Total 171 out, 35 in thanks to presbyterian.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Missed one
Francis Marion 18 out,4 in

C
kick off
kick off
C
Quote:

There's a ton of well off families who have kids playing soccer. Maybe for some families walking away from $12k per year is not that big of a deal. Why, would a family pay $48k or whatever to go to Furman versus $20k to go to Clemson? I know there are reasons......just saying even if I could afford it, I would swallow really hard paying Furman bills knowing my kid could go to Clemson and get just as good of an education for less than half as much.

As a side note to this whole conversation of soccer, I always wondered why someone (particularly in state) would decide to go spend the money to goto Furman to become a teacher and why someone from the Upstate would go to Furman as opposed to a place like Furman that wasn't in their back yard. That may just be me, though.

G
gbdawgs Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
SC ODP program has been very weak over the past several years. Maybe if the D1 coach's of SC colleges were more involved with SC ODP more SC kids would be looked at. I believe both the Coastal coach's are heavily involved with NC ODP.

world cup
world cup
Quote:

Winthrop 27 out, 3 in
Coastal 28 out, 1 in
Clemson 21 out, 2 in
Furman 18 out, 2 in
C of C 18 out, 6 in
Wofford 19 out 6 in

In addition to Francis Marion.....

The Citadel
Charleston Southern
South Carolina State

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
U
goal kick
goal kick
U
Quote:

Quote:

Winthrop 27 out, 3 in
Coastal 28 out, 1 in
Clemson 21 out, 2 in
Furman 18 out, 2 in
C of C 18 out, 6 in
Wofford 19 out 6 in

In addition to Francis Marion.....

The Citadel
Charleston Southern
South Carolina State

Citadel: 2 of 18 in state
Charleston Southern: 6 of 22
SC State: 1 of 23 (12 are from California)

The numbers don't get any better

O
throw in
throw in
O
A few thoughts:
1. the Region ODP coaches pick their recruits and potential recruits for events
2. Having SC coaches has really lessened Sandlapper's chances on the girls side with ODP
3. I think it would be advantageous to look at the above list and send your child to camp at the SC schools that are rostering and recruiting SC players. I would recommend not spending all that money to go to the big SC schools for camp because they give the SC players the least money and the least amount of respect
4. Of those SC players rostered at the big schools, how many are playing at least 1/2 a game? How many are paying to play?

O
throw in
throw in
O
I disagree with SC Universities giving more money to out of state players (who by the way, in some states can get a free education in their home state) when there are Sandlappers who are just as good, if not better than the players they sign. In our economy, we should be supporting the children in our state, educating them and giving them opportunities. I think the coaches are not from here, thereby, they do not understand the pride of South Carolina. If we stop spending money at their camps and games, then, maybe they will wake up and support the state that actually gives them the opportunity to coach in the best conferences in the country.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Have to disagree..There are schools in the state that have several SC players on their rosters..They are not D1 schools but ther're there and playing ball..They just struggle with their programs so there is not much talk about them..Playing ball at the next level is a achievement and not a god given right because we live in SC..Coaches are not going to select players because they live in this state.They are going to select players that help their programs and can work within the scholarships that are available to them..Don't go to the games..Not that many do..I watched the ETS/FMU game this past weekend..There are more people at our club games..If my child is chosen to play at one of these schools I want it to be because she can help the program not because she lives in the state..

O
throw in
throw in
O
CHT my point is that there are players that are from SC that not only can help these programs, but, are better than many of the recruits from other states. Yet, they are being disrespected by the SC schools by not being recruited. You might find more people at games if the in state talent were actually being signed and playing at our schools. Being from this state is a privelege and if it is a state supported school then recruiting our top players each year should be a priority!
Also, I think not spending money to attend camps at schools that do not recruit SC players sends a message. Not going to games may not, especially, at schools that do not have football programs. Those who are looking to play in state should perhaps, attend camp at some of the schools you are thinking about. Would you please list them so this knowledge can be shared with those who wish to pursue playing college soccer?

Page 14 of 17 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard