Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
K
Throw In
Throw In
K
I am sure this issue has arised many times before and being an official myself I can certainly see where there is room to grow with regards to continued education of officials, but I can also say that there are and have been many opportunities for officials to improve their game through ODP training camp for officials, Game day developmental assesments and Mentor Programs just to name a few with these options being OPTIONAL It makes it very difficult for the referee pool to achieve their maximum potential.

I have truly enjoyed this discussion and I hope that the powers that be will take a closer look at some of the concerns shared here and hopefully "do something" vs becoming offended.

until next time...

we run things, things nuh run we.....
C
Coach
Coach
C
It has been a good discussion...and I'd like to reiterate that all of the responsibility for "controlling the game" shouldn't be placed solely on the officials. There's a fine art to officiating a game so that the players decide the outcome on the field, yet are held to good standards of sportsmanship and safety; of course it takes wisdom and experience to find that balance, and some are always going to be better than others, just like in any other activity. At the same time, coaches can do a lot to set the tone of the game for both their players and their parents, and in doing so can make the game much easier or much more difficult for the officials to manage. Fouls are going to happen in any competition due to the nature of the game, but teaching players the expectation of playing hard yet fairly can greatly reduce problems on the field, while teaching them to see how much they can get away with before getting caught can have the opposite effect.

Our tone on the sidelines also carries over onto the field and even to the parents' sideline...I know sometimes I get agitated and let things show that shouldn't, and I have to remind myself to take a step back to help defuse the problem rather than contribute to escalating it. It's difficult sometimes, especially when you feel like things are happening that shouldn't and you want to go to bat for your team--I got a little wound up this past weekend and wish I'd handled it better--but in trying to deal with problems we as coaches should think about the Hippocratic Oath all doctors take before dealing with physical ailments...

"First, do no harm."

I've got good news and bad news...
K
Throw In
Throw In
K
Amen

we run things, things nuh run we.....
I
goal
goal
I
I would also say we should pay the refs more money period. And really more money as the age of the kids go up. It would only add $1 or $2 per kid per match. Just one guys opinion.

Thanks for the dialog...

world cup
world cup
Quote:

I would also say we should pay the refs more money period. And really more money as the age of the kids go up. It would only add $1 or $2 per kid per match. Just one guys opinion.

An extra $2 per kid per match? I like it!

U-13 and above, that's 22 kids on the field....that's an extra $44 per match. I promise you.....you will get my best effort!

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
My team attended the same tournament, and I would like to add just one more observation to the reasonable remarks made before me.

I talked with several referees, and some officiated up to 6 games a day (often in 95 degrees heat)! Not because they are money hungry, but because there were not more referees available for over 260 games in two days. A few games had only two officials instead of three. Wouldn't it be nice if some "know-it-all"-parents on the sidelines decided to actually attend a referee course or two in order to alleviate the shortage of referees and then PERHAPS help elevating the level of officiating.

I watched eight games this past weekend and have to say "Hats off" to the group of referees I saw! At the same time, I'm all for calling it tight in the interest of the players' health. I always enjoy seeing the better (more skilled) team win, not the more physical.

Wishing Cesa Spartanburg's #9 a speedy recovery.

I
goal
goal
I
I like your point on "calling it tight in the interest of the players' health". I too enjoy seeing the better (more skilled) team win, not the more physical.

Hurst, I was thinking, $2 times the roster, so $60 extra, on average.

world cup
world cup
Quote:

I like your point on "calling it tight in the interest of the players' health". I too enjoy seeing the better (more skilled) team win, not the more physical.

Hurst, I was thinking, $2 times the roster, so $60 extra, on average.

Thank you. Have the assignor call me anytime. I'd be happy to do all of your matches. That's what I like, a customer that appreciates "quality" and isn't afraid to pay for it!

As for calling it tight, I officiated the tournament this past weekend and I encountered my most "difficult match" to date. I prefer to call it tight to keep things from getting out of hand. I had a match between two high-level U-13 boys teams. Very good, very athletic, physical teams that had their share of ODP players on their rosters.

Four of five minutes into the match I decide to call my first foul, right in front of the visiting team's coach. I call his defender for coming through the back of the offensive player. The coach says, "Come on Mr. Referee, that's not a foul. My boy is playing the ball. You can't call that".

What kind of signal does that send to me? Probably not the signal that the moms on the far side of the field wanted to hear. He's telling me this is a high-level match, LET THE BOYS PLAY.

I was consistent, and both teams were aggressive. I did need to issue three yellow cards in the second half in order to settle things down. By that time a boy was injured on an aggressive play when he collided with the opposing goalkeeper. He initiated the contact, flew over the keeper and landed on his head. His dad came over to me and my crew and let us know that his kid was probably done for the tournament and that it was my fault because "I didn't protect the players".

That bothered me a bit because as the father of five, I've always preached safety first.

But what if the coach had not reacted as he did to the first call that was made in the match? Would I have called every push, pull, poke and grab? Probably not......but I probably would have called more than what I did.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
I
goal
goal
I
VERY WELL SAID, everyone should think of the give and take on this game. To me I would much rather have way too much called consistently, than nothing called or too little. I have two daughters who play. Because of soccer injuries we have purchased three MRIs, 4 casts, and several vists to the doctor, ER, or trainer. OMG and they have years to go.

Last edited by It is, what It is!; 09/20/10 07:34 PM.
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
This thread has gone in different directions but hits on alot of good points..I think it is a mindset of how the parents act based on how long their kids have been playing..
I was at league games last Saturday and witnessed parents of U9 or 10 players screaming their heads off with instructions..Not yelling at each other that comes at U11 thru 16..17s and 18s are the more mature groups...Sometimes.
We went to Charlotte and won a tournament there and while the parents did not yell at us..They had plenty to say to the officials and since it was blistering hot there they decided to hold the awards presentation in the shade and the parents acted like they did not want to bother walking over..And we wonder why kids act the way they do..
To me, a soccer parent should grow with the years that their kids play soccer..I was one of those parents years ago.I like to think I matured and grew as my children did..So it does not surprise me when parents of young kids are yelling at the top of their lungs..I figure they to will grow to understand it better..Parents of older kids that act that way..I just shake my head and say they never really enjoyed their kids playing soccer..We were also very fortunate over the last five years to be on the same team with good coaching and with parents that enjoyed watching the game for the most part..We would have a weed or two over the years but they don't last long..

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard