Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 20 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 19 20
D
Goal
Goal
D
If it were all about exposure for the players from the club standpoint, why would I be attending a standalone ECNL event in Florida, 30 miles North of Orlando, the week before Disney rather than skipping the event and playing Disney?

DeltaDog #140135 11/16/10 12:43 AM
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Quote:

If it were all about exposure for the players from the club standpoint, why would I be attending a standalone ECNL event in Florida, 30 miles North of Orlando, the week before Disney rather than skipping the event and playing Disney?

I'm not sure, why would you do that?

Warrior #140136 11/16/10 02:08 AM
D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

I'm not sure, why would you do that?

If you were to ask me, "Why would you want to do that?" my answer would be I wouldn't.

However, why are the teams going to do that?...

By joining ECNL the club has committed all of its ECNL teams to participate in a minimum number of ECNL events. Disney dropped ECNL from hitching its wagon to the Disney tournament after last year (who knows, maybe CASL will after this year). So, while our teams can still apply on each team's merit/strength (not the club's as in ECNL) for acceptance to Disney, each team still has to participate in the minimum number of ECNL events that the club has committed the team to participate in.

You will find ECNL teams at Disney, because it's Disney. Maybe those teams' clubs are playing Raleigh, San Antonio, and New Jersey or California ECNL events plus Disney. And, maybe those clubs play high school in the Fall with no high school conflicts related to San Antonio. Maybe those clubs also pay their elite teams' travel expenses.

The events chosen by the SC teams' club are CASL (December), Non-Disney Florida (December) and San Antonio (March).

Oops, almost forgot. This year there are also two non-tournament-associated ECNL events that the club's teams must also attend. One in Atlanta (December), and one in NC somewhere (February). And of course, the final event next summer the same time as Region 3 ODP camp.

Last edited by DeltaDog; 11/16/10 02:17 AM.
DeltaDog #140137 11/16/10 02:29 PM
B
brace
brace
B
FWIW, I wasn't talking about ECNL. It was a general rant, based on other observed situations.

The comment, "Loyalty is a two-way street," may capture reality. I would add: "But principle follows its own path, regardless of the lousy, self-centered example set by club coaches and teammates."

L
Goal
Goal
L
my issue with youth soccer (mostly on the girls side) in SC is the lack of player development and lack of quality coaches. And how many female (role models) coaches are there at the big clubs in sc or odp?

With most club/odp coaches its all about winning or not loosing and very little to do with teaching the game and player development. Maybe its all they know but why are there so few coaches in sc that focus on player development/teaching the game? Parents are to blame, too since all they know to judge soccer/clubs/coaches success is by wins & losses even though their players is not developing. the team is winning but not the players.

Our players in sc are getting short-changed by poor coaching and clubs/odp lack of attention to player development..........and paying a lot of money for it too.

B
brace
brace
B
Bang on.

F
bench
bench
F
So... speaking of player development.....when do you suppose we are going to see this list of ODP coaches?

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Who would you recommend as a player-development coach? Can you give an example of someone who meets this criteria? Maybe ODP can get them involved?

world cup
world cup
Quote:

my issue with youth soccer (mostly on the girls side) in SC is the lack of player development and lack of quality coaches. And how many female (role models) coaches are there at the big clubs in sc or odp?

With most club/odp coaches its all about winning or not loosing and very little to do with teaching the game and player development. Maybe its all they know but why are there so few coaches in sc that focus on player development/teaching the game? Parents are to blame, too since all they know to judge soccer/clubs/coaches success is by wins & losses even though their players is not developing. the team is winning but not the players.

Our players in sc are getting short-changed by poor coaching and clubs/odp lack of attention to player development..........and paying a lot of money for it too.

For girls who are playing at a high level, on a competitive team that plays and trains almost year-round, you may need to supplement team training with individual technical training. It's hard to fit this in when you are training with your team three days a week and playing matches on the weekend.

I would suggest finding a good trainer in your area and really going hard (at least a couple of nights a week) in June and July. I realize you still may have ODP, regionals and summer camps to work around as well but I have found this to be the best time for my daughters to improve the technical aspect of their games.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Hurst66 #140143 11/16/10 04:11 PM
B
brace
brace
B
Individual training is as good as the trainer's capacity and player's commitment. I would offer that it's a genuine shame that club training leaves so many gaps to be filled.

To me, EVERY club training session should include physical (fitness), individual/technical, team/tactical and team-building segments. I never cease to be amazed by what I DON'T see in many supposed high-level club training sessions -- many of which FAIL to accomplish in 2-plus hours what can and SHOULD be done in 90-100 minutes.

The good news is, there is a handful of coaches/trainers in this state who can and do apply these concepts in appropriate ratios. I hope to see them in future iterations of ODP. I am not holding my breath.

Page 9 of 20 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard