Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#141143 12/20/10 11:57 PM
L
bench
OP Offline
bench
L
Anyone heard/received anything yet?
Anyone care to share how the new selection process works?
Does anyone think you can get a copy of your child's evaluation?

LocalBoy #141144 12/21/10 10:18 AM
N
Throw In
Throw In
N
word was the 21st it would be on the website. imagine we'll receive an email. next step as i understand, and according to the website, it is to take two teams from each group to sub regionals to play, and from that, pick one.

"The purpose of the State Pool Tryout is to select two teams per age group who will be selected to attend the Sub Regional games on January 7-9, 2011 (boys in Winston-Salem, NC, and girls in Gainesville, GA). The players selected to represent SCYODP will be posted on the ODP page of the SCYSA website on December 21st."

http://www.scysa.org/programs/odpeliteathelete.aspx

L
bench
OP Offline
bench
L
Emails went out today, lists are posted. See ya in Salem..

LocalBoy #141146 12/21/10 11:19 PM
F
throw in
throw in
F
I was concerned about the change for ODP to include club coaches as I thought it could lead to recruiting and/or club bias- real or perceived. I thought it would take longer to be a problem- but based on the regional selections for the 98 boys- it already is a problem (and I don't have a 98 boy). The coaches for a club are placed in a bad position- if they don't select the club's players, what are they saying about the club's training, etc. In addition, most people are comfortable with what they know, who they know. I know of a least 2 players that were left off that are playing the highest level in NC and are dominant on that team. There is no way they are not in the top 30 in 98 SC. It's a shame to start the 'new" ODP in this way

LocalBoy #141147 12/22/10 01:54 AM
goal kick
goal kick
Ok, time to give the new ODP credit for doing something right. Last year the fee for Winston Salem was $235. This year it's $35. Of course, last year's fee included bus fare, a shared hotel room, and meals. However, most families in our age group made the trip to Winston Salem too, so the whole weekend became pretty expensive. So, as far as I'm concerned $35 and make your own travel arrangements is an improvement. Wouldn't feel the same way about the trip to Tuscaloosa, though.

world cup
world cup
Quote:

I was concerned about the change for ODP to include club coaches as I thought it could lead to recruiting and/or club bias- real or perceived. I thought it would take longer to be a problem- but based on the regional selections for the 98 boys- it already is a problem (and I don't have a 98 boy). The coaches for a club are placed in a bad position- if they don't select the club's players, what are they saying about the club's training, etc. In addition, most people are comfortable with what they know, who they know. I know of a least 2 players that were left off that are playing the highest level in NC and are dominant on that team. There is no way they are not in the top 30 in 98 SC. It's a shame to start the 'new" ODP in this way

Good point. I don't think anyone took the time to ponder how this change would impact "out-of-state" kids. College coaches didn't care. If you could play....you could play.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
N
Throw In
Throw In
N
yep, two kids someone thought should be there and aren't......that's a conspiracy alright.

LeGrazie #141150 12/22/10 01:21 PM
U
Throw In
Throw In
U
I'm torn on this issue. It will save us some money, but my daughter says she will really miss rooming with the other players. It was one of her favorite parts of the ODP experience.

world cup
world cup
Quote:

yep, two kids someone thought should be there and aren't......that's a conspiracy alright.

Didn't claim it was a conspiracy.....I don't even know these kids.

I know it is very difficult to evaluate players over a couple of hours in a couple of training sessions. I'm sure the ODP coaches are doing the best they can.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Hurst66 #141152 12/22/10 02:44 PM
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
I don't think its a conspiracy.......but I do see it as a sign of a structural weakness.

With my son having played a lot of his time in NC.....I have to say I never heard of a good NC player not being selected for a team. I heard of kids that a lot of people thought should have been on the "A" team that ended up on the B team. Or vice versa. But I never, ever heard of kids being shutout by the ODP process.

That happens every year in SC. A lot of it happens....because of the short tryout process. The NC tryout process goes on a long time and the coaches really get to know the kids and what their capabilities are. In SC coaches are making decisions after 1 or 2 practices.

Nothing is perfect.....but its a darned shame when quality kids get lost in the shuffle. Particularly in year 1 or 2 of the process. After that the caste system kicks in....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard