Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
corner kick
corner kick
T
I agree that it shouldn't be either or. I think the girl in AZ who wrote the article agrees it shouldn't be either or. I also think that it is not just bigger clubs who don't favor HS play. I know several parents who support their son or daughter in HS ventures but candidly wish that their child didn't play. There have even been a brave few who have not played HS because they felt it wasn't worth it.

I feel that most people at the bigger clubs are not in favor of completely doing away with HS soccer. But rather, they wish that serious players would look at HS soccer for what it usually is: a way to play some games in front of their friends along side of some friends who may not be good enough to play on their club team, and not something that should make them forego opportunities like the girl in AZ has to do.

B
brace
brace
B
A smart college coach, wanting to see and know prospects in a variety of environments and facing different stressors, will scout BOTH club and high school activities, as well as camps and other venues.
It's called due diligence.
As to the relative benefits of club and high school soccer, playing for a school, in front of friends and families, shouldn't be viewed as an ALTERNATIVE to competitive club soccer, but rather as a supplement.
One other thing: High school isn't pay-to-play. Coaches, not parents, call the shots.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Bomber-good post. To me, here are several differences from the soccer high school and club seasons.

High School- games mostly during the week. Very little travel. No long trips across the country, or to Florida, Virginia, DC, Raleigh etc... Huge cost differential.
Plus the high school players truly love playing for the school.

Club- for the most part (say we are looking at an entire state) better training, coaches and competition. All that said, if you are talking about Premier players.

Compared to other sports, yes they have Club type teams and events, but they typically occur out of their high school season. Soccer is doing more and more during the high school season. You begin to think, what is really the Club's motive. It is obvious, they make their schedules without regard to high school play. Thus putting players and parents left with tough decisions to make.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Daughter made a mistake of trying to play basketball and club soccer one year. Neither coach would bend. Games were never at the same time; only the practices here and there. But each coach wanted undivided attention.We told them there was only a 3 week overlap but had to ride bench in several games as punishment. I guess if you want to pursue sports in college you have to pick one and thats it. But club and high school will always butt heads.
I do see high school soccer getting more competitive because of all the club players now but that could change if ECNL takes over and limits the students free time.

B
brace
brace
B
Agreed.
When a kid has to choose between a major high school tournament and a showcase event ...
"Stinks" doesn't do it justice.

B
brace
brace
B
Of course, part of the problem is that some state H.S. associations sponsor Fall seasons; others, Spring.
Heck, if memory serves, there was a time when SCHSL played Fall and SCISAA played Spring.

B
brace
brace
B
Neither club nor high school soccer holds a monopoly on dimwit coaches/trainers.

Goal
Goal
Quote:

Of course, part of the problem is that some state H.S. associations sponsor Fall seasons; others, Spring.
Heck, if memory serves, there was a time when SCHSL played Fall and SCISAA played Spring.

SCHSL has played soccer in Winter (Nov-Feb) and Spring (Jan-May) only.

Victory Starts Here!
goal kick
goal kick
Quote:

Neither club nor high school soccer holds a monopoly on dimwit coaches/trainers.

AMEN! As a parent who has had very positive high school sports experiences thanks to coaches on both ends who were willing to work out conflicts in a common sense fashion, I know it can work. And it should work. Both club and high school sports offer complimentary experiences.

B
brace
brace
B
202: Exactly my point. SCHSL has done both "winter" and "spring." As I said, I think there were seasons when publics played at one time and private the other IN THE SAME ACADEMIC YEAR.
The issue for national club and showcase events is held between September and early June is that there will always be some state high school association "in season" ... and therefore conflict.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard